The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] VAN acquires Linden Vey

hope this is a win for us then. If he is on the third to start and Bonino on the second who takes 4th Richardson? I would rather see Matthias up on the second line wing barring and big ufa coming in. With kassian on the other wing with Bonino in the middle.lets us see what talent Matthias has esp since he has been shafted in Florida due to them needing to develop their younger guys.

So as of now not including any ufa's or additional trades

We have ( my lines not what the coach will ice)

sedin sedin burr

Matthias Bonino kassian

Higgy vey Hansen/Jensen

Sestito Richardson dorsett

I assume shink and Horvat do not make the jump this year?

What do we need from ufa?

Legit winger for the twins? Second line winger instead of Matthias/ higgy?

Vet tender?

If we get one or more of those we could actually be a pretty good team esp with all the new guys and a new coach to jump start the idle team.

I just want some hockey.

hope this is a win for us then. If he is on the third to start and Bonino on the second who takes 4th Richardson? I would rather see Matthias up on the second line wing barring and big ufa coming in. With kassian on the other wing with Bonino in the middle.lets us see what talent Matthias has esp since he has been shafted in Florida due to them needing to develop their younger guys.

So as of now not including any ufa's or additional trades

We have ( my lines not what the coach will ice)

sedin sedin burr

Matthias Bonino kassian

Higgy vey Hansen/Jensen

Sestito Richardson dorsett

I assume shink and Horvat do not make the jump this year?

Vet tender?

If we get one or more of those we could actually be a pretty good team esp with all the new guys and a new coach to jump start the idle team.

I just want some hockey.

Every thing suggests bo will make the jump this year he had better lol

Shincky is more up in the aire not to sure would love to see that cause he WILL be a massive goal scorer for us could be starting next year or in 2015-16 hopeing next year

Vet tender?

More than anything I'm hoping for a legit top 6 winger. We wasted Kesler's talent by putting him on lines cycling a merry-go-round of fringe 2nd line/3rd line wingers. I don't want to do the same to Bonino.

This was an absolutely great trade LA felt forced to deal him you never know if a late 2'nd rounder will even play a game in the NHL. He's ready for the NHL and a point per game player in the AHL. despite losing Kesler, I think the Canucks have actually added scoring to the roster with Vey and Bonino. Bonino was great on the power play last year too.

I think if Bonino and Vey will surprise a lot of people when they're given a bigger role and ice time.

They both have something to prove to their former teams, a career year for one or both of them is possible.

exactly what I am thinking.

These people thinks Jensen and Kassian should play on the 1st and 2nd line.....Burrows was injured most of the time and he belongs there playing with the Sedins

Im excited for Vey. He is only 22 and anyone who can produce ppg at the AHL level spells potential. I can't believe the Kings gave him up for the 50th pick.

I was upset with the Garrison trade getting only the 50th pick. Now, turns out the trade is Garrison for Vey, which makes the trade look a lot more acceptable.

Sounds like another Dalpe but not bad considering we only gave up a 50th in a weak draft.

Hah - I'm have nothing against Dalpe, but not being able to crack LA's talented forward group is worlds apart from not making Carolina's.

Not to mention Dalpe's AHL production noticeably dipped after his rookie season there (2010-11). Vey started strong and improved year after year.

Giving up a high draft pick for Vey is bizarre. Players of his type either make it early or they don't. There's almost no chance some guy who has spent three years in the AHL is going to make it. The odds have to be at least a hundred to one. The longer one stays in the ahl the less chance there is a player is going to make it. I don't get why Vey is rated over the rest of the mediocre centers the Canucks have. You can't do a rebuild doing stuff like this. (LA probably would have just let him go for nothing in time.)

- how many third line centers do we want? Good grief.

When players are not top picks, and are on teams with strong veteran cores who develop prospects properly, being in the AHL 2.5-3 years is quite common.

On just Detroit this season there was:

- Nyquist was in his 3rd AHL session before being called up for injury relief (like Vey)

- Ericsson, Smith and Andersson similarly played 2.5 seasons on the farm team before their call-up

- Tatar played nearly 4 full AHL seasons

- Kyle Quincey played 3 full seasons in Grand Rapids before losing him on waivers, and eventually spending a 1st rounder to get him back

...That is just the current roster of one team. So your rant is pretty baseless.

He was PPG in the AHL and did better than Emerson Etem. I think he can be our 3rd line RW next season but the depth will be there for us, hard to imagine an exact lineup with alot of bottom 6 players.

He was PPG in the AHL and did better than Emerson Etem. I think he can be our 3rd line RW next season but the depth will be there for us, hard to imagine an exact lineup with alot of bottom 6 players.

I think one or, if we're lucky, two of our younger forwards might surprise and break out.

Kassian, Jensen, Vey maybe...

LA fans seem to all say that he was pretty much on par with Toffoli and Pearson and that he's a sure fire top 6 player. I think he scores 35 points next year and will flank our second unit PP.

I really like this trade, and I think it is a very smart one. Benning essentially took a 2nd rounder this year and traded it for a player that is already ready to step into the NHL. It is not even sure if Vancouver were going to draft Roland McKeown with that pick anyways, can't really compare the two players.

Thinking about the line up for next year, there needs to be more moves made either by trade or signing players. I think there are still several names on the trading block:

• Jannik Hansen
  • Chris Higgins
  • Alex Burrows
  • Nick Jensen
  • Jordan Schroeder
  • Zac Dalpe

I am not saying all of them need to be moved but I can't see Hansen returning. Nick Jensen is a huge question mark for me as well because I don't think he was overly impressive last year, but if he does impress he sticks with the Sedins to give the lines more depth. I also believe that Horvat will make the team next year.

Sedin - Sedin - Jensen

Higgins - Bonino - Kassian

Burrows - Horvat - Vey

Matthias - Richardson - Dorsett

Looking at that line up, two names pop out to me, Jensen and Higgins, not sure if they are good enough for those roles. I expect a lot of line juggling next year if no more forwards are brought in. Jensen could be used as trade bait I think in a trade for a top 6 winger like Eriksson from Boston. If I was the Canucks I would explore this, Boston don't shy away from moving out players that don't fit in. They could get cheaper options from the Canucks as well. Package Jensen and Higgins (+?) for Eriksson.

I think JB should think about moving Hansen and Higgins. They are 3rd liners at best and nearer 4th liners for me.

I like what JB is doing with the team and I hope he has some creative plans for these two.

Schroeder is another who doesn't fit here. In fact even if he was bigger I still don't think he would fit, he's far too "passive" in attitude for my liking. He has never looked hungry to me.

The type of mix that JB is assembling is well calculated - but not surprised in the least.

I wasn't at all in agreement with the proposals wanting to take multiple picks / very young prospects alone for Kesler for a couple reasons. First, there is less risk involved in acquiring players that are further along their development path - their value is easier to assess. Picking up a player like Vey on the verge of NHL readiness imo is exactly the appropriate target - and particularly from a franchise that is in a tight spot with what to do with players in those circumstances (waiver eligible). I'd love to see the team do something similar and add a guy like Alex Petrovic from Florida, who likewise has a log-jam of young blueliners.

The second reason I like the fact players like Bonino, Vey, and Sbisa have been acquired is the makeup of the demographic in the system. Veterans in the 30 year range - a prospect pool that is much better than it has been in a long time, but still ripening with only a few guys really approaching NHL readiness. A few young talents on the roster in Tanev, Stanton, Kassian and the goaltenders, but aside from them, the younger guys won't necessarily be ready to step in and command important roles on the roster.

So as far as I'm concerned, Bonino at 26, Sbisa at 24, Vey at 22 are exactly the range of players that the team needed to add for balance - and players in that range also tend to be the most difficult to acquire - having both established their potential, and their best years ahead of them. I like picks like anyone else, but they tend to be significantly overvalued by a combination of perceived potential and optimism - in reality, many of those picks are peeled away over time and simply don't carry value forward.

And the team has an active roster that can win hockey games and make a realistic run at the playoffs. Never in favour of the step back to step forward method/logic - I think that is generally a faster track to being losers than it is a winning formula. Make haste and waste no time.

So I got what I wanted in the Kesler deal. Was hoping for a 2/3 tweener center, a developed future and a 1st. I was a bit disappointed to see Garrison go, and for a pick, but I look at these deals this way.

Garrison for Sbisa I can certainly live with and think it diversifies the group nicely.

Kesler for Bonino, Vey and McCann I am ecstatic about. Bonino alone could prove worth the aging, one-man way, attitudinal Kesler. Vey alone could prove as valuable as Kesler. 115 points in his last 117 AHL games is impressive - neither Toffoli nor Pearson scored at a higher pace. McCann could prove as valuable as Kesler - certainly every bit the prospect Kesler was on his draft day. So whether Kesler was a me-first, selfish jerk in the process or not, JB's return is so, so much easier to live with than a future of Kesler bombs.

The swapped 3rd for Dorsett may seem a high price for a depth forward with a year at 1.6 cap hit, but one of the other things I have really liked about these is the patently obvious extent to which TL and JB have integrated WD in the decision-making process, and are not only crafting a team in their vision, but getting their coach what he apparently knows and wants in the process.

Really hard to argue with anything they have done in the process.

Not to mention....just look at this young man.

linden_vey_los_angeles.jpg

Means business.

You nailed it, nice way of putting things. I love this move.

I just wonder what Benning does next, we've got a bunch of bodies up front now and we're not even at free agency yet.

Dalpse, Schroder, Hansen, Richardson, and maybe even Burrows could be on their way out. Though I'd like to retain the latter two. Burr will probably stay.

I really like this trade, and I think it is a very smart one. Benning essentially took a 2nd rounder this year and traded it for a player that is already ready to step into the NHL. It is not even sure if Vancouver were going to draft Roland McKeown with that pick anyways, can't really compare the two players.

Thinking about the line up for next year, there needs to be more moves made either by trade or signing players. I think there are still several names on the trading block:

• Jannik Hansen
  • Chris Higgins
  • Alex Burrows
  • Nick Jensen
  • Jordan Schroeder
  • Zac Dalpe

I am not saying all of them need to be moved but I can't see Hansen returning. Nick Jensen is a huge question mark for me as well because I don't think he was overly impressive last year, but if he does impress he sticks with the Sedins to give the lines more depth. I also believe that Horvat will make the team next year.

Sedin - Sedin - Jensen

Higgins - Bonino - Kassian

Burrows - Horvat - Vey

Matthias - Richardson - Dorsett

Looking at that line up, two names pop out to me, Jensen and Higgins, not sure if they are good enough for those roles. I expect a lot of line juggling next year if no more forwards are brought in. Jensen could be used as trade bait I think in a trade for a top 6 winger like Eriksson from Boston. If I was the Canucks I would explore this, Boston don't shy away from moving out players that don't fit in. They could get cheaper options from the Canucks as well. Package Jensen and Higgins (+?) for Eriksson.

schroeder and dalpe will both be ufas on tuesday and jensen will play in utica.

i think higgins is probably safe just because he's become part of the leadership group and just the amount of time he's seemed to spend around the rink this summer.

burrows and hansen i could definitely see going. i'd actually be surprised to see hansen in a canucks uniform next year.

Archived