The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] VAN acquires Linden Vey

I would be ecstatic if Burr scored 20 goals this year.

I really think we will be scoring by commitee this year though.

Having guys like Vey, Kass, Bonino, Higgi, DSedin, all put up 15+ goals would be nice. Maybe even Matthias and Jensen.

I can see Henrik put up 15 goals at least but I don't think Matthias can.

I would be ecstatic if Burr scored 20 goals this year.

I really think we will be scoring by commitee this year though.

Having guys like Vey, Kass, Bonino, Higgi, DSedin, all put up 15+ goals would be nice. Maybe even Matthias and Jensen.

I think between Burr, Vey, Kass, Bonino, Higgins, at least one of them will put up +20 goals, and if out of that group of players, we only have a couple of 10-15 goal scorers...this could be one ugly season.

Personally I think for goal scoring we will be better this year...hopefully :)

30+ goals: D.Sedin

25 + goals: VRBATA!!

20+ goals: Burrows, Kassian

15+ goals: Bonino, Vey, Higgins, Hansen

10+ goals: Matthias, H.Sedin (One of our rookies if they play, ie; Jensen, Horvat)

I say we finish with 224 goals on the year!

Edit: Forgot about Hank, also had to add in VRBATA! :P

I can see Henrik put up 15 goals at least but I don't think Matthias can.

he scored 14 in 48 games during the lockout shortened season. The only thing stopping him from potting more than 15 would be getting burrowed on the 4th line.

he scored 14 in 48 games during the lockout shortened season. The only thing stopping him from potting more than 15 would be getting burrowed on the 4th line.

He had 11 goals, in 48gp during the shortened season.

Only twice in his career has he eclipsed the 20 goal mark, 29 goals during his Art Ross/Hart Trophy season, and 22 goals the season before. He is definitely capable though of potting up to about 20 though.

Linden Vey discusses being traded to the Canucks, playing once again for Head Coach Willie Desjardins, and how excited he is to get started in Vancouver in front of family and friends.

As a heterosexual male Hockey fan, I never expected to say this about a Hockey player, but am I the only one who thinks he is freaking adorable?

As a heterosexual male Hockey fan, I never expected to say this about a Hockey player, but am I the only one who thinks he is freaking adorable?

I was gonna say he looks like he could be Kassians little brother.

Jewels from the Crown (an SBNation L.A. Kings blog) has posted data for last season's zone entries. Unfortunately, you have to step over a little anti-Canucks crap like this:

That's not bad for a depth forward, and [Linden Vey] certainly will grow into this league, but he has some work to do before Vancouver can anoint him their second-line center and then run him out of town.

But if you can ignore the unnecessary shots against our franchise (and the writer's apparent need to devalue a former asset in Vey), there's some good data available.

Just check the bottoms of your shoes after you're done with the article.

According to the blog's numbers, Vey had a 66% controlled entry rate (which is very good). This was second only to Gaborik (although they're both smaller samples with Gabby playing 19 games and Vey only 18). But that's still better than every other Kings player.

Vey had 10.19 carry-ins per 60 minutes. The writer describes this as "just 10.19 carry-ins/60" but it's not nearly as unimpressive a number as they'd like you to believe. Consider than only four Kings players (Kopitar, Gaborik, Williams, and Brown) actually had significantly better numbers. Most of the others ahead of Vey were in the 10 1/2 to 11 carry-ins/60 range (only marginally better).

Vey's 10.19/60 was 8th best on the team.

Considering that Vey played the least games and total minutes on the Kings' forward group, that's pretty good. Even more so when you consider that Vey was a rookie on team with some pretty demanding coaches and where he was mostly playing with more experienced linemates. So he probably passed off the puck in some circumstances where (once more experienced) he might have carried it in himself. Not to mention that he plays a pretty safe (two-way) game and was probably looking to avoid some risk.

Vey seems to have been very careful and selective last season, which again, isn't surprising for a rookie looking to avoid mistakes. That probably means his total entries and carry-ins/60 are a little lower than they'll be once he gains experience. But he also produced a 0.59 shots/entry rate and a 0.69 shots/carry-in rate, which are among the best on the Kings. What those numbers suggest is that Vey produces some very high quality offensive opportunities off of his zone entries (which fits with the rest of the data).

Another good sign is that Vey's 12.12% failed entry rate is one of the lowest on the team (and many of the Kings forwards have over 20% failed entries). So when he does attempt a zone entry with puck possession, he tends to be very successful.

What the overall numbers show (to me) is that Vey has some excellent habits on entries. He's clearly not a "dump it in" or "chip and chase" player. Recent studies show that carry-ins can be almost twice as effective as dump-ins so Vey's high percentage suggests that he has the right instincts for a possession style team that will be looking to get better on transition (at least that's what we're expecting from Desjardins).

Some good reasons for optimism there. I'm excited to see what Vey can do if he's given the opportunity to play a regular role for the entire season. Simply by virtue of him being our only RH centreman, I had already penciled him into the lineup from Day 1 (due to the need for a righthanded option for "strong-side" draws). But the more I learn about this kid, the more I'm intrigued by his potential to be a very effective player in all areas of the game.

EDIT: typos

30+ goals: D.Sedin

25 + goals: VRBATA!!

20+ goals: Burrows, Kassian

15+ goals: Bonino, Vey, Higgins, Hansen

10+ goals: Matthias, H.Sedin (One of our rookies if they play, ie; Jensen, Horvat)

I say we finish with 224 goals on the year!

I think both D. Sedin and Vrbata will crack that 30 goal mark, Bonino will score 20, Burrows won't. All in all - very close. The one wildcard I think in this is Vey. Slotted in a 3rd, with the team focusing on creating a 4 line team - he'll get the opportunity to put up 20+.

30+: D. Sedin, Vrbata

25+:

20+: Kassian, Bonino, Vey

15+: Burrows, Higgins, Hansen

10+: H. Sedin.

My thoughts anyways.

Archived