The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

3 hours ago, alfstonker said:

It depends on what team you gave him. WD would have won a hell of a lot more with Boeser, Vanek, Gagner Leipsic Motte, Pouliot, MDZ etc. as well as the likes of Bo, Stech, Hutton etc being a year more experienced.

I'm not making that a criticism of Green just an attempt at parity of resources. After all WD got to the playoffs with a similar team - 101 points

Oh and by the way, I also think Green would want Tryamkin to intimidate the opposition.

WD had the Sedins when they were still legitimate first line players on a middling team.  He also had 12 players who scored 10 or more goals, and Vrbata had 31.  It was a season almost without injury to key players - something that hasn't happened since.  WD was a one trick pony as a coach, and once the league had seen him for a year, he had nothing left to show, and as an indicator of that, his numbers on special teams fell through the floor.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, alfstonker said:

I suspect reading between the lines, WD had twice the strength of character your little pet had.

He was fed $&!# by JB and still managed to stick it out, gaining the playoffs with 101 points in his first year and even in his last year with a pretty poor team compared to the one Green was handed WD was only 4 points behind Green's team.

"Desjardins, who has a masters in social work and an education degree, is a populist coach. “He communicates a lot with the players…everything he says he’s got poise and he’s thought about it. He’s not just saying stuff to say stuff. When he talks everybody listens,” said veteran winger Alex Burrows, who’s had Alain Vigneault and Tortorella as head knocks before this.

Danny Sedin sings the same song as Burrows. “It’s been good so far. He talks to guys and keeps it upbeat,” said Sedin.

Canucks’ feisty winger Derek Dorsett played for Desjardins in Medicine Hat definitely thinks he’s a people person. “He finds the way to get the best out of every player, and he manages the room…one of his best strengths is getting to know each individual. It’s not just a team thing. He respects guy and he’s honest with them,” said Dorsett.

“He is what he is, he’s as advertised. He wants to win. He hates to lose, maybe the most. He’s a pretty focussed guy. Outside noise doesn’t distract him,” said Dorsett."

"By then, he was studying education at the University of Saskatchewan in Saskatoon. Since seeding coincided with his spring finals, Desjardins would study on his tractor. He and his dad used to sit side-by-side in the kitchen, before dawn, waiting for the sun to come up. They were so eager to get working, they couldn’t bear to waste a minute of sunlight."

Dude...let it go already.

Whether he deserves to be defended or not, you embarrass yourself more and more every time you do so.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, alfstonker said:

It depends on what team you gave him. WD would have won a hell of a lot more with Boeser, Vanek, Gagner Leipsic Motte, Pouliot, MDZ etc. as well as the likes of Bo, Stech, Hutton etc being a year more experienced.

Doesn't matter if he had these guys or not. Vey and Megna would still be gifted minutes and PP time. That's on WD.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

WD had the Sedins when they were still legitimate first line players on a middling team.  He also had 12 players who scored 10 or more goals, and Vrbata had 31.  It was a season almost without injury to key players - something that hasn't happened since.  WD was a one trick pony as a coach, and once the league had seen him for a year, he had nothing left to show, and as an indicator of that, his numbers on special teams fell through the floor.

Which year are you comparing. Your reply seems all over the place.

Torts also had the Sedins when they were legit. and he didn't get near 101 points. You talk like a coach has FA to do with how players perform. I suppose in that case we can do away with coaches.

Once the league had seen him is BS. Once JB had stripped him of the decent vets and forced him to play 8 rookies, 2 of whom had never played against men, and a handful of AHL lifers. 

As for special teams, that was the responsibility given to Jarvis and it's difficult to be successful with special teams if the vets are getting asked to cover for players who were not ready or inexperienced.

The fact remains, given a half decent team and despite horrendous injuries he gained 101 points.

Given half a roster poor calibre replacements and 2nd year rookies he was still only 4 points behind Green. You have to wonder what he might have done with last year's team.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

That's BS.

When trying to have a logical discussion and getting only emotional responses, there can be no no end to the debate. Not a huge WD fan myself, but I find the Capt Hindsight, cherry picked, emotional garbage to be tiresome.

• Cheers 3

20 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

I'm ok with that but thanks for coming out. 

19 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

That's BS.

I think your entire argument(s) surrounding WD, can be summed up by what you just said.

'Thanks for coming out'

Travis Green is now coach, and he is a better coach for this team than WD.

Thanks for coming out though.

• Upvote 4

Just now, Gollumpus said:

Horvat looks like he's thinking, "Hoo-eee, Coach said a bad word."

regards,  G.

Hahaha. Or he's thinking that Willie is losing his mind. I can't quite figure out who the player is standing next to Bo.

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Hahaha. Or he's thinking that Willie is losing his mind. I can't quite figure out who the player is standing next to Bo.

Starting up a new thread, "Name the other Canuck in this picture".

I'll go with Granlund.

regards,  G.

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I'm going to go with Ronalds Kenins.

Hokay. Let's get VC in here for the answer.  :)

regards,  G.

PS - I think you're correct, but then I'm used to being wrong in these things. 

Edited by Gollumpus
  • Haha 1