The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

Tanev is a far, far better skater than Try is.  The only way Try is an upgrade is size and strength.

To say Tanev is As you say a Far, far better skater is a bit silly. One of Tryamkins strengths is his skating ability, for his size it was exceptional. 

Tanev while being incredibly smart with his positioning, is an average skater in the NHL

Edited by kylecanuck
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, kylecanuck said:

To say Tanev is As you say a Far, far better skater is a bit silly. One of Tryamkins strengths is his skating ability, for his size it was exceptional. 

Tanev while being incredibly smart with his positioning, is an average skater in the NHL

Tanev is not an average skater

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Tanev is not an average skater

Tanev is a good 3/4 option on a cup contending team, it's nuts the homervision on Tanev. Tanev is amazing, don't get me wrong but he is also has holes in his game. 

His skating again is average, he doesn't have explosives speed or great edge work but is top end in quick decision making and body positioning which makes his skating work well for him. His offensive side is low side of average at best, this season will be his best playing beside Hughes.. His injury riddled career also has to be taken into account, as he is unreliable and has never played more then 70 and a averages closer to about 50-55 games a season over his career.  There is no physicality in his game, because if he throws a hit he could get injured. 

I have loved watching him play his career for the Canucks, but I won't cry the day he doesn't have a Canucks Jersey on. 

Having watched a few games this year. I think Tryamkins skating has improved since he left. Playing on the larger ice probably helped. Avto switched to a NHL size ice this year which is a good thing adjustment wise. His last game he had two nice puck retrievals in his corner, skating to the puck and without stopping used his inside edge to turn back up ice in one motion. His backwards skating is very good too. I've seen him break up plays skating backwards and at the same time utilizing that extra long reach to poke check. He has more power in his strides and snow plows players along the boards. Its about three strides for him from his side of the crease to his corner to the puck carrier. I also think Tryamkin would win more puck battles along the boards where he uses his skates, size and strength. Tanev has more hockey IQ and makes the most out of his skating and defensive positioning. 

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

There's little doubt that physically, Tryamkin has enviable size/reach attributes, health and age on his side over Tanev.

But Tanev is ELITE defensively. Anyone thinking Tryamkin could show up and replace (let alone 'upgrade') Tanev's smarts, reads and sound positional play etc...

I'd prefer we have the good fortune to utilize both, personally.

How is a player Elite to a team when he has played only 50% or less off his games in his career?

Dosent “Elite” come with a standard of durability and consistency?

Tanev looks good now,.  But pair him with anyone less than Hughes and he becomes the lesser.

I would say that Tanev is a complimentary player with a lack of durability or physicality.

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

If he was an above average skater he would not be getting crushed into the boards, and we would see him rushing up ice like we have seen Myers do this season.

from QH

“[Tanev] makes it really easy for me, he's a really good player,” said Hughes. “I didn't realize how good of a skater he was. No, seriously...I don't think I've really ever played with a guy that's that good of a skater. He can beat guys with his feet and he's smart and he's skilled."

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

There's little doubt that physically, Tryamkin has enviable size/reach attributes, health and age on his side over Tanev.

But Tanev is ELITE defensively. Anyone thinking Tryamkin could show up and replace (let alone 'upgrade') Tanev's smarts, reads and sound positional play etc...

I'd prefer we have the good fortune to utilize both, personally.

I do agree with you on this, but I am not so sure Tanev is elite any more. I have seen some mistakes coming into his game lately

Maybe he is exhausted with all the games he is playing this year! :bigblush: (Joking)

But, seriously...….I was just pointing out that BFG has some different things he brings to the table, that Tanev does not have...….I think you grasped that in your comments

44 minutes ago, stawns said:

from QH

“[Tanev] makes it really easy for me, he's a really good player,” said Hughes. “I didn't realize how good of a skater he was. No, seriously...I don't think I've really ever played with a guy that's that good of a skater. He can beat guys with his feet and he's smart and he's skilled."

He's also consistently named one of the most underrated players both from his teammates and from other NHL'ers who have played with him internationally.

• Cheers 1

54 minutes ago, stawns said:

from QH

I would prefer to hear from someone less “partisan” on the topic.

It’s easy to see how that is a biased opinion.

Team mates in general are like that.

It won’t matter after this season any way Stawnzy.

3 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Without getting reamed on over an add-on item, what is the point of this comment?

I don't think it is a bad question at all....thanks for letting me explain

In the prior conversations, about Tryamkin, many have said that he wasn't that good of player. I disagree, and have in the past pointed out the difference in his first half, compared to his second half...…...

Now, when looking at most rookie defensemen, they do not have glowing plus/minus's, unless on top clubs, where the depth can over come the rookie mistakes

In Tryamkins, last year, he was minus -7 for the year, which is not bad in any vain, especially when there was a lot of injuries, to guys like Tanev and Edler, so in some cases, Tryamkins minutes were tough minutes...…..and on poor team, who could not control the play...…...

I am merely pointing out, for those that can appreciate plus/minus that his was not bad at all, especially being a rookie, and the -73 for the team, indicates exactly how weak we were.

Just for reference     2016-2017 Season

Tanev was +3 in 53 games

Gudbranson was -14 in 30 games

Stecher was -16 in 71 games

Edler was -20 in 68 games

Hutton was -22 in 71 games

Tryamkin was -7 in 66 games

Tanev was the only plus player that year and Henrik Sedin was the worst at -27

And all I am doing is pointing out to those that question Tryamkins abilities, that he wasn't so bad...…….. (and I know Tanev and Edler played tougher minutes)

Peace!

1 hour ago, stawns said:

from QH

Owned. lol

3 hours ago, kylecanuck said:

Tanev is a good 3/4 option on a cup contending team, it's nuts the homervision on Tanev. Tanev is amazing, don't get me wrong but he is also has holes in his game. 

His skating again is average, he doesn't have explosives speed or great edge work but is top end in quick decision making and body positioning which makes his skating work well for him. His offensive side is low side of average at best, this season will be his best playing beside Hughes.. His injury riddled career also has to be taken into account, as he is unreliable and has never played more then 70 and a averages closer to about 50-55 games a season over his career.  There is no physicality in his game, because if he throws a hit he could get injured. 

I have loved watching him play his career for the Canucks, but I won't cry the day he doesn't have a Canucks Jersey on. 

You are criminally undervalueing what a healthy Tanev provides to this team. He doesn't throw the body around, but is one of this teams toughest warriors. His skating is far above average, and any cup contending team would be estatic to have him anchoring the shutdown line.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

You are criminally undervalueing what a healthy Tanev provides to this team. He doesn't throw the body around, but is one of this teams toughest warriors. His skating is far above average, and any cup contending team would be estatic to have him anchoring the shutdown line.

I'm sorry but we disagree on many levels here, his skating again is far from above average and saying it is shows your lack of evaluation skills. Also no, any cup contending team would not love to have him anchoring the shutdown line as it would mean they have low top end talent. Tanev is great for what he brings, 50 games a year, and only 15 out of 40 possibly playoff games throughout his career. If that is what you're relying on as your top D then you are not making the playoffs let alone contending. The only reason he looks better this year and is eclipsing the 55 game mark for the first time in five years is because of Hughes. 

Take off the homer glasses and take a look from an outside point of view... 

But please, find me in the Tanev thread, I do hate deraling someone elses

Edited by kylecanuck
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

I would prefer to hear from someone less “partisan” on the topic.

It’s easy to see how that is a biased opinion.

Team mates in general are like that.

It won’t matter after this season any way Stawnzy.

jim carrey ok GIF

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, shayster007 said:

Good,  we should get nothing less than a 2nd rnd pick for a player who only plays 50% of the time.