The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

12 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Yup, that is a valid perspective.   My own is that the Canucks should keep Tanev for at least the first three Hughes' full seasons.    As usual,  am probably in the minority.....

nope Im with you in keep tanev camp ,  he keeps feeding huggy bear 

38 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Yup, that is a valid perspective.   My own is that the Canucks should keep Tanev for at least the first three Hughes' full seasons.    As usual,  am probably in the minority.....

Your just trying to keep Nik penciled in as 3rd pairing D man :sadno:.. 

I smell coffee ..  :towel:

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, cyoung said:

Honestly yes. If we can get a first then that changes but that's tough 

... The Canes lost Dougie Hamilton last week for the season.. 

Vegas is looking to WIN it ..  I think there will be some interesting inquiries if Benning is open to the idea of moving him.

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

For the playoffs we'll need at least 8 defensemen  

Add Tryamkin Add Rafferty/Joulevi

I think we can rotate Stecher and Fanny out to get our best matchups.

Bigger teams add bigger D speed teams keep Stecher 

I want Hughes FRESH for the playoffs. We need to sit him (and Edler probably) out when our playoff position is finalized. Or play 7 D and have Huggy for the PP

While I understand the idea of sitting and resting the players, we don't want to cool off heading into the playoffs. The teams that are fighting right to the end seem to get into the playoffs on a roll and take advantage of teams that take the foot off the pedal (see Columbus vs Tampa last year). I don't know if players need to sit, but minutes need to be managed. It'll be a fine balancing act.

I can't really see Rafferty or Juolevi getting any game time unless we have a string of injuries. Tryamkin is likely joining us very late and is also unlikely to slot in barring injuries or if we want to shake things up if things aren't going well. Although I do see Tryamkin more likely getting time over Rafferty or Juolevi (hopefully they go on a nice run in Utica).

4 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

For the playoffs we'll need at least 8 defensemen  

Add Tryamkin Add Rafferty/Joulevi

I think we can rotate Stecher and Fanny out to get our best matchups.

Bigger teams add bigger D speed teams keep Stecher 

I want Hughes FRESH for the playoffs. We need to sit him (and Edler probably) out when our playoff position is finalized. Or play 7 D and have Huggy for the PP

Hairy,  some posters on here think we can go deep into the playoffs on how cute our D looks or plays.

They forget what St Louis, Vegas and others bring, where punishing a light D core is as much a tactic as scoring a goal.

we aren’t talking single game matchups, but others still aren’t understanding the requirements to stand up to physical hockey played against the same opponent for 7 games in 14 days.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, theo5789 said:

While I understand the idea of sitting and resting the players, we don't want to cool off heading into the playoffs. The teams that are fighting right to the end seem to get into the playoffs on a roll and take advantage of teams that take the foot off the pedal (see Columbus vs Tampa last year). I don't know if players need to sit, but minutes need to be managed. It'll be a fine balancing act.

I can't really see Rafferty or Juolevi getting any game time unless we have a string of injuries. Tryamkin is likely joining us very late and is also unlikely to slot in barring injuries or if we want to shake things up if things aren't going well. Although I do see Tryamkin more likely getting time over Rafferty or Juolevi (hopefully they go on a nice run in Utica).

Huggy already looks overtired vs these Bruins

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, theo5789 said:

What is this “barring injuries “ ?? 
Count on it and prepare for it..

Rotate others in to carry a load .. and yes, give some players a rest.. and others a shared experience.

we are not going deep... great if we do.. but get real.

FFS   Hughes is a rookie... never played 82 games in any season of his life.. 

you want to kill him?

gettin sick of this Edmonton mentality that kids will save the day.

Im not knocking Hughes here..  but look at the young man,.  do you want to park an F150 on him ?

Edited by SilentSam
  • Haha 1

If we had Tryamkin tonight against the Bruins, this could have been a different game. Imagine him and Myers defending a 5 on 3 - with those wing spans, it would be ridiculous.

I’d love to see Tryamkin rub out the rat.

• Like 1

I’d like to finally see some resolve with Tryamkin. It seems like he’s one of the most talked about players ever without a contract.

I was at his first game. I don’t get to go to many being a northern lad so that was neat. I remember how everyone cheered when he hit the ice. The kind of excitement like when Hughes and Petey played their first games. He was kind of like the first young player fans got excited about when we really hit bottom.

But how good was he when he was a Canuck? It seems so long ago..

Is he a better player? How’s his english these days?

Is it just a pipe dream that he’s coming back? 

Im sure that these answers lie within this thread but there’s a zillion pages.

Should we actually be excited about a potential return?

• Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

I’d like to finally see some resolve with Tryamkin. It seems like he’s one of the most talked about players ever without a contract.

I was at his first game. I don’t get to go to many being a northern lad so that was neat. I remember how everyone cheered when he hit the ice. The kind of excitement like when Hughes and Petey played their first games. He was kind of like the first young player fans got excited about when we really hit bottom.

But how good was he when he was a Canuck? It seems so long ago..

Is he a better player? How’s his english these days?

Is it just a pipe dream that he’s coming back? 

Im sure that these answers lie within this thread but there’s a zillion pages.

Should we actually be excited about a potential return?

Nothing is certain until we see him back officially here. However, there are many signs that points that he will return. Tryamkin hasn't changed his Instagram profile of him being in a Canuck uni and checks in on practices and even gives a wave in the comments. He has admitted he wasn't quite mature enough in his first stint here which sounds like he's mentally more prepared for another go. His agent has said he would like to return and there are articles wondering if we actually are interested in bringing him back. His agent also said it shouldn't take long to get a deal done. He could likely make more money playing here, so the only doubt IMO is whether he's using the NHL lure to try and squeeze out more from a new KHL deal.

So all in all, it's seems more of a matter of when rather than if. His contract officially ends before he could join us this year, so his team would have to release him from his contract if we are hoping to see him this year at all. I'm fine either way, just hope he does return.

As for him being a "better" player depends on how you view it. He has seemingly changed the focus on his game to be more of a defensive dman. He is currently playing top pairing minutes and getting top PK time. How well that translates here will only be determined when we do see him here, but I'd have to think he's improved in not only his gameplay, but maturity and likely his work ethic. Can't speak of his English though.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Huggy already looks overtired vs these Bruins

Not sure how much is attributed to being overtired or just faced a strong team. Hughes didn't look "tired" to me, but did make some mistakes, which he has done even when he wasn't "tired". The entire team didn't look sharp.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

What is this “barring injuries “ ?? 
Count on it and prepare for it..

Rotate others in to carry a load .. and yes, give some players a rest.. and others a shared experience.

we are not going deep... great if we do.. but get real.

FFS   Hughes is a rookie... never played 82 games in any season of his life.. 

you want to kill him?

gettin sick of this Edmonton mentality that kids will save the day.

Im not knocking Hughes here..  but look at the young man,.  do you want to park an F150 on him ?

All the more reason to have as much depth heading into the playoffs. Adding Tryamkin to this group is additional depth to support any potential injuries.

I sure hope the Canucks aren't going in with the mentality that they don't have a chance. They don't seem satisfied even after wins because they know they are more capable and have higher expectations for themselves and the team.

It's funny because we are nowhere near the Edmonton mentality. Benning has brought in veterans despite many complaining about how we overpaid for them (Beagle, Roussel, etc). These players have been taking the hard minutes and insulating our young players. They are giving them the freedom to take the spotlight on offense, but have supported them rather than expecting them to do it all unlike the expectations in Edmonton relying on the young players to simply carry them and surrounded them with cheaper and lower quality depth. This right here is why keeping Tanev is more valuable than selling him off because Tanev is who takes on the toughest defensive assignments is going to support our young group. You take away a top 4 RD (something that we had been lacking over the last couple of years and finally have a decent compliment) and suddenly that is even more pressure on Hughes without his regular partner than compliments his game.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Not sure how much is attributed to being overtired or just faced a strong team. Hughes didn't look "tired" to me, but did make some mistakes, which he has done even when he wasn't "tired". The entire team didn't look sharp.

He stopped skating giving up a scoring chance.  He's faster that that. He's smarter usually than getting caught flat footed. I've been thinking they should manage his minutes rather than riding him like a true vet.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Slegr said:

If we had Tryamkin tonight against the Bruins, this could have been a different game. Imagine him and Myers defending a 5 on 3 - with those wing spans, it would be ridiculous.

I’d love to see Tryamkin rub out the rat.

Coulda woulda shoulda

I doubt your crystal ball assumptions 

3 hours ago, theo5789 said:

3 games, 4 days, 2 mid day games

Bruins are fast, hit and close gaps fast

And as you said the whole team didn't look sharp

No one to single out for blame, eat the loss, learn and move on

• Cheers 2

The grind headed towards the end of the season will be a huge leaning curve and actual playoffs will be a bonus. I said last spring this team will make playoffs and I still think they will. That said I have no illusions that this group will get past the 1st round, absolutely fantastic if they get to the 2nd round. This whole experience is all about development of the young core towards serious CUP contention in 3 years. 

In Benning we trust! My attitude towards acquiring vets for a playoff run is a big nyet. Even selective selling is preferable. The biggest issues are player development and CAP management. Benning has the players to actually make hockey trades in contrast to even 2 years ago. The Canucks are well into a new era where Utica actually have players who will play in the NHL. The Canucks have a young core that will attract UFA's who want to have a CUP shot. This is an exciting time for fans.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1