The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Ryan Miller to Vancouver Thread

To all the people poo-pooing this...

1) He hasn't signed snuff yet

2) We have a quickly filling cupboard of prospects

3) We still have a pretty full roster which still went on a really great tear last year - if January was a .500 month instead of what it was, we were a playoff team.

4) Ryan Miller is far from done

5) As much as I'd love McDavid, make the playoffs, any team can win. Miller CAN be a franchise-level goalie, and if he's available for just money, why not take a flyer on him? If he isn't our man, trade him for assets coming back. If he is, and he's motivated to win? Look out.

The problem I have with signing miller is I see him as a starting goalie. Rather sign someone like hiller to be backup support for eddie.

That makes zero sense lol. Both Hiller and Miller are starters and wont sign to be less.

Im a huge Lack fan but he only benefits from playing behind a Miller.

If Vancouver was in a rebuild Lack would be starter.

Not sure why so many here are confused about whats going on. Both Linden and Benning have said they want to build a competitive team.

Lack is 26 hes not a kid and is ready.. we are going to do to him what was done to schneids. Goaltending was not our problem and if we are going to compete while retooling that 14 mil cap space would be far better spent overpaying a couple mercenary forwards that can score on short term deals.

I'll call it now if miller is signed he won't have any better numbers than lack this coming season and will be a waste of cap space.

I don't get why we want Miller? are we trying to compete or are we trying to give our young players a chance to play (er, get a good draft pick for rebuild)

why ice a 'half pregnant' team... again?

don't sign him. play lack.

lose dramatically with a young roster, get a good pick

Lost dramatically? I'm sure that will be great for Lack's confidence and for his career.

Are you going to create a thread for this topic for every post you make?

And when do you go back to school again?

:picard:

Don't quote me on this, but something tells me school starts in September, not late June/July.

Again, just my educated guess.

To all the people poo-pooing this...

1) He hasn't signed snuff yet

2) We have a quickly filling cupboard of prospects

3) We still have a pretty full roster which still went on a really great tear last year - if January was a .500 month instead of what it was, we were a playoff team.

4) Ryan Miller is far from done

5) As much as I'd love McDavid, make the playoffs, any team can win. Miller CAN be a franchise-level goalie, and if he's available for just money, why not take a flyer on him? If he isn't our man, trade him for assets coming back. If he is, and he's motivated to win? Look out.

No, any team cannot win in the playoffs by merely making the playoffs. This belief is what has kept Calgary and other pretender teams from doing proper rebuilds.

That being said Miller oversaw Buffalo finishing dead-last last season. So what are we expecting from him here, in a similarly weak lineup vs. way better western competition.

Hmmm, Benning may be onto something here.

One would think he would want4 or 5 years though. I'm sure Lack would be more then ready by then.

Ya you'd hope a starting goalie might be ready by 32 :rolleyes:

Lack is ready now, he played fine last year, he's 26 and come up through the ranks the right way.. he's only going to keep getting better by playing more not less. Miller makes no sense for this team

What does wooed mean?

Probably something like.. "I know our goaltending situation has been the laughing stock of the league the last few years but we are under new management, we have some cap space, we have a gm who believes in you and was responsible for drafting you back in buffalo and we are determined to win now. Vancouver is a beautiful city and has a lot to offer you and your actress wife"

You posted "played for worst team in league"

Inferring his poor stats last season were tied to playing behind a poor Buffalo team. I posted "his stats were better in Buff than Stl".

Meaning, that's not really an argument I'd use if I were trying to sell Miller to Canucks.

I'm saying it doesn't matter if he played behind a bad Buff team, or STL team that gave up some of the fewest scoring chances in the league - he's not a gamble i would take. As I mentioned in the other thread, he's not an upgrade on rookie Lack IMO.

miller's gaa was better in stl than in buf, as one would expect, and his sv% was only worse in stl because he was facing 10 fewer shots per game (25 instead of 35). not only do sv% numbers almost always get better with more shots faced, but miller, like most goalies, actually plays better when he faces more shots.

For people incessantly posting " tank for McDavid" please pay attention to the rules that have been in place for several years. If you finish dead last in the league you get a 25% chance of drafting number 1 over all. That means you have a 75% chance of drafting 2nd and not getting McDavid next year. If you "tank for McDavid" and finish 2nd or 3rd from the bottom you have even less than a 25% chance of getting him.

The tank for McDavid people are morons.

Ugh. So much for the rebuild.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/24601452/nhl-rumors-ryan-miller-being-wooed-by-canucks-in-vancouver

Also tweeted by Bob McK about an hour ago.

IMO getting Miller doesn't mean we've given up on rebuilding. It just gives us a better chance to win more games in the next few years and hopefully Thatcher develops at BC well enough to become a permanent starter once Miller retires.

Archived