The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Johansen and CBJ far apart on a new deal

elvis15

Best case scenario for Canuck fans, is if they sign him for 4 years at 6.5M per.

Sedin's contract are up by that time, and we could sign him long term for whatever the asking price is.

Evander Kane's contract is up in 4 years too ;)

Apparently, Johansen and CBJ are 3 million apart. CBJ wants him at a bridge of 4, he wants 7...

CBJ wants him at 2-3 years, since 4 would take him to UFA. Johansen wants 4+ years although he's come down on term. You're correct that they're $3M apart on the shorter term (2 year) offers though, in that for those shorter term deals, CBJ wants to pay $3.5-4M and Johansen is asking $7M.

Clearly that's an example of negotiations, with the idea that they'll meet somewhere in the middle. Johansen at something like $5.5M isn't bad at all, and if he's sacrificing term but not having the freedom of being a UFA at the end of it then he'll want a reasonable commitment in $$.

Locker room cancer in the making. Hope CBJ gets rid of him because I actually like that team.

Athletes play sports for money. Not for the love the game. That ship sailed years ago. People need to get over this strange obsession that hockey players are different. They like money and lots of it. If you want to watch hockey players who play for the love of the game, head down your local arena and watch beer leaguers.

Johansen wants to get paid and control his future. The team doesn't want to pay him what he wants nor lose him after this next contract. This doesn't make him a cancer, it makes him smart to look ahead at having options.

Athletes play sports for money. Not for the love the game. That ship sailed years ago. People need to get over this strange obsession that hockey players are different. They like money and lots of it. If you want to watch hockey players who play for the love of the game, head down your local arena and watch beer leaguers.

Johansen wants to get paid and control his future. The team doesn't want to pay him what he wants nor lose him after this next contract. This doesn't make him a cancer, it makes him smart to look ahead at having options.

How do you explain the increased intensity during the Playoffs were the players do not see a dime?

Just because they get paid extremely well to play does not mean they don't love playing the game.

How do you explain the increased intensity during the Playoffs were the players do not see a dime?

Just because they get paid extremely well to play does not mean they don't love playing the game.

You are confusing the desire to win and the passion to play. I am not a big athlete but if I ever play any competition, I want to win too regardless of the financial reward (which there usually isn't). There is this nostalgic sentiment that modern althetes are similar to their older counterparts; who often to work at the grocery store or the gas station or wherever to make ends meet in the off-season. The older players played sports more as a hobby than anything and had a certain passion to play despite the relatively poor payout. But now, modern athletes are lured to play sports because the chances of become a multimillionaire. Any modern athlete will tell you they love playing their respective game, but everyone knows they are equally if not more driven by money. Why do parents get up at 4am to drive their kids to practice? Not because they see their kid loves hockey and want to make their kids happy (though some probably do), but because the chances of them striking it rich are better than a lotto ticket.

If Johansen really loved hockey so much that he couldn't bare to not play, he would just take the minimum and play. But sports is big business and everyone wants their fair share of the take. So much so that they are willing to not play to get more jack in their back pocket.

It actually sounds like he wants out. Demands are high because of the term they want him at. If he won't budge on the term, then this might be a way of forcing a trade.

But Johansen has budged on term. He's been willing to listen to 2-3 year offers, but CBJ has kept the dollar figure lower than they want. And CBJ isn't interested in coming up on term closer to Johansen's original ask so it's them standing pat it seems.

Now, whether Johansen wants out is another question, one that might have some merit. I don't think he's at the point where he'd force a trade though (a la Turris).

But Johansen has budged on term. He's been willing to listen to 2-3 year offers, but CBJ has kept the dollar figure lower than they want. And CBJ isn't interested in coming up on term closer to Johansen's original ask so it's them standing pat it seems.

Now, whether Johansen wants out is another question, one that might have some merit. I don't think he's at the point where he'd force a trade though (a la Turris).

Yeah, definitely not at Turris' level. I think it's doable, but lemme ask ya, how often do you see ridiculous demands like this (6-7 mil) from a forward who isn't PPG yet? He will be worth it. I mean, if Bolland got $5 mil per, RyJo should get close to 6 at least. Just this early in his career, nearly every time I have seen this, the player seems to have wanted out for one reason or another.

2015 1st Mathias Horvat for Johansen?

Let the proposals begin :bigblush:

I'd do it, but then again the way I talk about RJ you'd think he was my brother, lol. Maybe not Horvat, but then they likely don't do it.

Burrows Bonino Johansen 2nd doesn't look too bad. Bonino and RJ can switch out face offs when needed. Maybe even Bonino Johansen Burrows. I'm obviously getting ahead of myself, %99 sure nothing comes of this. :P

You are confusing the desire to win and the passion to play. I am not a big athlete but if I ever play any competition, I want to win too regardless of the financial reward (which there usually isn't). There is this nostalgic sentiment that modern althetes are similar to their older counterparts; who often to work at the grocery store or the gas station or wherever to make ends meet in the off-season. The older players played sports more as a hobby than anything and had a certain passion to play despite the relatively poor payout. But now, modern athletes are lured to play sports because the chances of become a multimillionaire. Any modern athlete will tell you they love playing their respective game, but everyone knows they are equally if not more driven by money. Why do parents get up at 4am to drive their kids to practice? Not because they see their kid loves hockey and want to make their kids happy (though some probably do), but because the chances of them striking it rich are better than a lotto ticket.

If Johansen really loved hockey so much that he couldn't bare to not play, he would just take the minimum and play. But sports is big business and everyone wants their fair share of the take. So much so that they are willing to not play to get more jack in their back pocket.

How do you have a desire to win with out first possessing the passion to play? IMO they must coexist to have any type of success at anything elite.

Sure there are families that have money as the prime motivator to keep their kids in sports but anyone who is banking on this strategy "to get rich" is delusional; however, the odds of any one kid making enough money to even cover the costs, of this extremely expensive sport, accumulated over their childhood are astronomical. Hockey is a very expensive and elusive lotto ticket. I'll take my chances with Lottomax any day.

Proffessional athletes, are in a unique position that 99.99 % of us will never be in. I mean, if you had a skill set that could potentially set you and your family up for life wouldn't you negotiate for your best interests? It does not mean you are greedy or don't love what you do, it means you are extremely lucky to be paid for something you love to do.

To say RJ should just accept the minimum amount and play (if he loves the game) is a bit irrational. By that logic shouldn't everyone who loves their job just accept minimum wage with a smile on their face. The fact is, there are many behind the scene influences that factor in to these negotiations: 2 sides to the negotiation table, agents and lawyers; market value; NHLPA; NHL ect... It's much more complicated than narrowing it down to a players greed in relation to their indifference to the game.

BTW RJ has never missed a game due to contract issues and the cases in which players do hold out are much rarer than when they don't. It is just gets more attention.

I'd do it, but then again the way I talk about RJ you'd think he was my brother, lol. Maybe not Horvat, but then they likely don't do it.

Burrows Bonino Johansen 2nd doesn't look too bad. Bonino and RJ can switch out face offs when needed. Maybe even Bonino Johansen Burrows. I'm obviously getting ahead of myself, %99 sure nothing comes of this. :P

I'm %100 sure something comes of it, it just won't have anything to do with the Canucks.

Archived