The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vey vs Etem

PRIMO88

Don't under estimate the fact the Willie D coached him before, successfully. Young guys who buy in are a really good thing to have. I believe he will push our other prospects to the next level as well. You need someone leading the way for the young guys showing it's possible, and here is a 4th rounder who is set to make an impact at the NHL.

I hope Jensen and Kass pay attention to what Vey does this year. He's been playing with other great prospects, and success breeds success.

I'm extremely interested to see this guy play at prospects camp if he gets a chance, I think he will be on another level.

Judging from his AHL numbers, I would say Vey is definitely ready to get a shot in the NHL this year. The numbers he put up with LA last season are certainly nothing to write home about (4 assists in 15 games) but with a season or two to find his game at the NHL level, he could be a deadly playmaker.

Etem has proved more at the NHL level, Vey had a better AHL season this year while playing his first season in the NHL. Etem is 13 months younger though so that plays in aswell.

I would say Etem has the higher upside but Vey is coming in and going to break out in the next couple of seasons while Etem has not found a permanent spot on the roster yet. Vey will find one this season though.

Vey didn't play a season, he played 18 points on the 4th line, with very limited mins, and got 5 points.

I really hope we don't put ANOTHER playmaker with the sedins this year. Too much passing not enough shooting with our top line.

THIS!!! Plus, although I'd prefer Etem --- he's got that shoot first mentality that has been missing from this team for years --- I'm glad they acquired Vey since there's already a plethora of LH's on the roster, as usual.

THIS!!! Plus, although I'd prefer Etem --- he's got that shoot first mentality that has been missing from this team for years --- I'm glad they acquired Vey since there's already a plethora of LH's on the roster, as usual.

Jensen, Fox and Virtanen. Shoot first mentality already in the ranks.

Guest Dasein

LA will regret letting go of Vey

No, because the thing is, LA knows Vey's a good up and coming player but they have players on their team that are better than him. They simply don't have space on their team for this guy.

So they chose to flip a good prospect for a chance to draft a player who could be NHL-ready in 3-4 years.

The Ducks have plans for Etem.

Vey was the 5th(?) Centre on the Kings.

That is probably the biggest difference. Different teams, different circumstances. How many useful players slipped through the fingers of Mike Gillis when he thought he had great depth?

Vey certainly looks like a find and will continue to get better for 3 or 4 years. Fortunately, his age is right too; the Canucks have few prospects in their early 20's.

Jensen, Fox and Virtanen. Shoot first mentality already in the ranks.

What do you think about a trio third line of:

Jensen Vey Kassian

Vey Kassian are playmakers and Jensen a shooter. Plus Jensen and Kassian add Size. A good third line have to be defensively responsible and an elite third line center gets 45 points. Elite wingers get 25 points. So if they average 30 points between the 3 while being defensively responsible then that is a good third line.

Really? I watched Vey in the AHL a lot and slow he isn't. I will say he could be stronger on the puck but he wins footspeed races more times than not. The guy has unreal vision for dishing the puck around. On almost any other team in NHL than Kings, he was in the NHL full-time last year (Kings have insane depth at center).

I am not sure he is going to be anything magical in Vancouver but he will not surprise people with how slow he is because, well, he is fast.

I think Vey is a good player as is Etem, but im not sure why the Canucks would trade the 50th pick for Vey, especially if Roland McKeowan was available. He has top for potential and the Canucks are thin on defence prospects. Just a thought however, Vey could turn into a real gem and is further along in his development.

Etem has proved more at the NHL level, Vey had a better AHL season this year while playing his first season in the NHL. Etem is 13 months younger though so that plays in aswell.

I would say Etem has the higher upside but Vey is coming in and going to break out in the next couple of seasons while Etem has not found a permanent spot on the roster yet. Vey will find one this season though.

11 months. counting is hard.

I know Linden a little bit, played some minor hockey with him on a line. I really dont think he is over 6 feet. I actually think he is probably just under 6 feet.

Perhaps he's grown a bit since his minor days?

Archived