The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Prospects You are Most Excited About (pre '14-'15 season)

Psycho_Path

Made this topic the last time at the same time of the year, so I figured I might as well start this again now for this year's group of prospects.

Last Years: http://forum.canucks.com/topic/348469-prospects-you-are-most-excited-about-pre-13-14-season/?hl=%2Bprospects+%2Byou+%2Bare+%2Bmost+%2Bexcited+%2Babout

Unfortunately unlike last year, the prospects game wasn't aired. I would have loved to see it before making this assessment as last year's prospects game affected my rankings for sure, though I'm not sure why I didn't have Cassels on the list then. In any case this is my list for this year:

1. Cassels - I expect he'll be going back to junior, but I was very impressed by his preseason last year and subsequent season in the OHL. For a 3rd rounder, he's really showing to be a player that will have an impact at the NHL level.

2. Shinkaruk - Even though his point production wasn't great this past season, in part due to his injury, the highlights vid that was done of him for this past season had me excited as I've been for Shinkaruk. Very curious to see how he progresses in the AHL. I don't expect him to make the team, but if he shows REALLY well, he'll get a few games at the start of the season

3. Gaunce - People seem to overlook him for our higher rated prospects, though you can see the maturity of him and his game even during the preseason games last year. Sure his point totals will probably never be as high as Virtanen (assuming he comes close to his potential) or Shinkaruk, but he'll play solid minutes with whatever linemates he's given. Could possibly play the season in the NHL this year but is more likely to play in the AHL a season before he gets many games in the NHL.

4. Horvat - It's unfortunate how the season ended for him and London. Getting pretty smoked in the OHL playoffs and then not fairing so well in the Memorial Cup, but he's a very smart kid with some sick dangles. Am excited about his progression this year, even if it is once again playing for London.

5. Fox - Haven't really watched him at all, but for a player who at one point in the season had over 50 goals in 50 games for the Otters and finished the season just under a goal a game, I'm excited.

6. Hutton - Pretty interesting for a defenceman to have more goals than he does assists, but for a .83 ppg defenceman, it's quite the intriguing stat.

HM: McNally. It's hard to be that excited for someone that will likely spend another 2 years at Harvard, also of whom did not have the greatest of seasons point wise, but I'm still excited for his development. Curious about Tryamkin as well, He could be a beast, but it won't be for at least 2 years before we'll get to see much of him, so it's hard to be that excited for him yet. Still, I do look forward to what he'll be like when he likely comes to north america in 2 years.

Edit: No idea why the P in the title was removed

Assuming everyone remains in their respective leagues except for those graduating to the AHL my list as follows

1. Virtanen - will he get more ice time and pp time and learn to use his teammates more? Want to see him hit 50 assists and still score 40+. 90+ points is the minimum benchmark for him.

2. Shinkaruk - Will he return to form and dominate the AHL at ppg?

3. Gaunce - My sleeper pick to play a key role for the comets and have a solid year. I rate him almost as high as shinkaruk in whom I'm most excited to see.

4. McCann - Has the greatest potential to improve upon last year in my opinion. Missed a lot of his chances and a better shooting accuracy should result in more goals. Would also like to see slightly more attention to the offensive side of the game.

5. Fox - Will he still be able to translate his goal scoring prowress to the AHL and give us more than a 3rd line winger potential? If he can score in the AHL too then perhaps we have a 2nd line winger in the making

6. Cassels - would be excited to see him build on his stellar year. Not sure if Dal Colle will be back and if so expect a regression from Cassels

7. Horvat - I'm not expecting a huge jump for Horvat but would still like to see some improvement obviously in his offensive numbers. He will always be good defensively so no worries there.

8. Hutton - want to see if his goals were a one off or if we can continue to see this kind of production

9. Grenier - Didnt know much about him prior to this off season but will definitely be paying more attention to him

10 Tryamkin - Will likely receive no information or highlights from the KHL so can't really get excited over no information. Can really only see his point production but I'm more interested in how he plays defensively. Darn it..otherwise I would've had him ranked as far as 5th on my list

Jared McCann. Without a doubt, McCann is the guy I'm most excited to watch next season. I think he's going to be one of the steals of the draft. I'm so excited to see what he can do next year in the OHL. His GM and coach both seem to believe that he has a lot of potential and can rip it up in the OHL next season.

Last year I was super stoked about Shinkaruk and I still am right now. His enthusiasm for the game is just amazing and I know he will be a big player for us in the future. I'm so glad we didn't trade him and I can't wait to see what he can do in the AHL under Travis Green.

Thatcher Demko is also another guy who I'm excited about. The Canucks seem to have a never ending pool of goalies to pick from these days huh? The kid's blog has got me super excited about him. He seems to have great character, and also a big passion for the game. Not to mention that he's 6'4" and has a great skillset.

Of course I'm also excited about the other guys, namely Horvat, Gaunce, Fox, Jensen, Cassels, Hutton, Virtanen, Tryamkin among others. I'm wondering who this year's "Cassels" will be. Who will be the prospect that steps up and impresses the Canucks brass this season?

All that being said, the most exciting thing for me is seeing how our prospects all seem to be good friends. Demko said he got along well with everyone and McCann is even going to California to hang out together. Shinkaruk, Horvat, Gaunce, Corrado and most of our 2013 prospects were reported to have trained together before the Canucks camp started. I think that bodes well for the future. Much like how Bieksa, Burrows and Kesler were all good buddies before coming up to the NHL together.

GO CANUCKS GO!

I think the 2 I'm most excited about are Shinkaruk and Gaunce. Shinkaruk was very close to making the team last year, and even with his injury he's been training hard this summer and he has a really good shot of making the team this year. Gaunce would look great on our fourth line if he really worked on his footspeed. That was the biggest weakness he had last year and I'm not sure how much he improved in that category. If he trains hard in the summer he would look great with the big boys.

The other prospects I'm generally excited about but I know they probably won't make the team this year:

Horvat

Virtanen

McCann

Hutton

Tryamkin

Cederholm

Demko

Fox

I think most people are really overlooking Gauncer. I definitely think he has the smarts and the shot to top out as a very good two-way second line winger and I think he very likely makes the team this year. So for this year, he definitely is the prospect I'm most excited for.

I'm curious to see what Cassels' cardio is like as he looks to be in decent shape, but a bit behind other prospects(Of course, looks can be deceiving.).

I like Shinkaruk a lot, but I think he's still a few years away from the big club. Sure he looks great in drills and when he has plenty of space in 4v4 situations, but his spark plug attitude can only carry him for so long. He's still a few years ideally, physically. People say he should of made the team last year, but he suffered a torn labrum in his hip in junior..imagine what would have happened in the big leagues..

I think most people are really overlooking Gauncer. I definitely think he has the smarts and the shot to top out as a very good two-way second line winger and I think he very likely makes the team this year. So for this year, he definitely is the prospect I'm most excited for.

I'm curious to see what Cassels' cardio is like as he looks to be in decent shape, but a bit behind other prospects(Of course, looks can be deceiving.).

I like Shinkaruk a lot, but I think he's still a few years away from the big club. Sure he looks great in drills and when he has plenty of space in 4v4 situations, but his spark plug attitude can only carry him for so long. He's still a few years ideally, physically. People say he should of made the team last year, but he suffered a torn labrum in his hip in junior..imagine what would have happened in the big leagues..

According to the latest article on Shink the hip has been bothering him for ages and going back to junior finished it off..imagine if it was in good shape last year...he may have made the team....

"At the Canucks’ version of summer camp, this past week was the first time Shinkaruk had shot a puck at a goalie since he was scheduled for hip surgery in December.

He had needed to repair that hip for years, but put it off, and managed to keep it on the “down low,” fearing it would have negatively impacted where he was drafted. And it would have.

But the inevitable reality finally smacked him across the face after an October hit tore up his hip badly enough he had trouble working out, even getting around off the ice."

I am going to rank this a shade differently.

Grenier

Gaunce

Fox

Hutton

Tryamkin

HM Shinkaruk

If I recall these are our AHL ready prospects and as such most likely to make the jump to AHL/NHL play. I throw Shinkaruk in there with an HM mostly because after that injury the kid needs to play meaningful time before I expect him to walk in to the league. no need to Brule him and his development.

Horvat

Subban

McCann

Virtanen

Cassels

Demko

These are our current under 20 players and most likely to play another season or two in the minors and then the AHL. While I see Horvat having an outside chance of making the bigs. I would still like to see him spend another season + in development. Same with Virtanen.

These kids represent our future and if we gauge them by the first group we are in no rush to bring them in and have that ability to develop them properly. That first group based on age/size is ready and can slot in where needed on an already crowded NHL roster.

Hard not to be excited for once isn't it?

Archived