The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

To the people saying "trade Burrows" ....

The Listening

For the right price every player should be available for trade. That being said I don't think we would get much for Burrows considering he's coming off of a poor season and has a pretty big cap hit, for what he contributed. So I think it would be best to keep him around and see if he can recover from last season's mess and have a good season. I'd be pretty awful to get a horrible return for him and watch him have success on another team. Of course he could just have a bad season and be a cap dump which would be a wash. The way the Burrows situation plays out, whether it be good or bad, I'd rather he be on the Canucks. Say it does work out good than maybe trading him at the deadline or next season could become more intriguing.

Good well thought out reply.

I agree some are being decisively negative however, I for one don't question whether he can return to form or not, that's not the issue in my opinion. I question how good was that form to begin with. He is simply a 3rd liner / 2nd line tweener without the Sedins. He just doesn't produce without them from what I've seen (not that there is anything wrong with that). Realistically I don't think he should have ever been the be all end all solution as our top winger not named Sedin. That issue should have been addressed 2-3 years ago. Not to take anything away from how incredibly he has performed in a four year stretch with them.

So even if he returns to form he's still overpaid regardless of whether he kills penalties, sticks up for his teammates, PK's, etc.. Not badly overpaid but on a team that needs to add legitimate top 6 answers and not stop gaps Burrows should be down the pecking order for where and how he fits into the team. Once those more important positions are solidified then I have no problem seeing if we can fit Burrows in as a support player.

It just seems to me that some people would rather fit Burrows into the line-up at all costs before thinking about what this team really needs moving forward.

He may return to form but if doesn't play the majority of the games with the Sedins (which he shouldn't) his return to form is likely looking at 10-14 goals as an extreme max and about 30 points max as well. That's being optimistic and realistic at the same time. Whether that's worth $4.5 with our team re-defining itself and looking to get younger remains to be seen and therefore it is a viable question worth examining.

Once again I must mention that comment is completely without substance. Burrows was the best of a horrible group of players that have played with the Sedins. As if Burrows is the only guy in the NHL that can play with the Sedins. The reason he has been the only successful one is because the rest of the players suck. You will see the difference this year when a guy with skill like Vrbata plays with them.

I am hoping Vrbata can play with the twins. He has good hands and is defined as a goal scorer. Just maybe he can click with the twins. Samuellsen, Kesler and Demitra had difficulty. One thing I will say about Burr is, he is not afraid to stand in front oof the net while our D load up. Let's hope Vrbata does that as well.

For me, a Burrows trade would rank right up there with other ill conceived moves, such as Trevor Linden and Harold Snepts.

Just like them, he wears his heart on his sleeve, shows up every game and busts his butt. Lives and breathes Canucks. And the fans love 'em to death for it!

If every player on the team put as much into their game as does Alex Burrows every time he steps on the ice, we'd be unbeatable.

IMHO, players like that are all too rare these days.

i think the team will be just fine no more moving players around and plus we dont have any salary cap room left with the signings of mcain, vey ,arhibald and de fazio we are maxed out virtanen will sign and be a slide risk . so we cant move burrows and pay someone else plus we will likley have to retain some of his salary too

I have a question (or rather a series of questions) for whoever is willing to answer.

Question 1:

Is Alex Burrows good enough to play in the NHL?

Question 2:

If you answered yes to question 1, (and I'm assuming that anyone answering honestly will say yes) is he good enough to be on the 2nd line for most teams?

Even with his recent struggles I think that he is at very least a very good 3rd liner. If he get his game back a little this year I think that he certainly has the ability to be a good 2-way 2nd line winger.

Question 3:

If he plays like a compitant 2nd liner, is he worth 4.5M?

Question 4:

If not, what is a compitant 2nd line winger worth? Keep in mind that the salary cap allows for an average cap hit of about 3.25M per player and 2 of those players will be sitting in the press box.

Question 5:

If Burr was paid 2M per season, would you want him on the team?

It seems to me (and maybe I'm wrong) that the biggest problem that most people have is his cap hit -vs- production. If he would have been traded after his 35 goal season the Canucks would have gotten a great return for him, but he is too big of a question mark after recent injuries and struggles to get much return at all. I am not worried about the Canucks or their ownership "running out of money". The biggest issue in my mind is them using a pretty substantial amount of cap space on a player that doesn't warrant it. That said, there is certainly no one available through free ad hence who is worth spending that money on.

I have been a strong proponent for keeping Burrows but don't get me wrong if an outstanding trade came along involving him, JB would have to take it and I support that but that is very unlikely to happen. None of the other GMs are stupid and this isn't EA Sports.

Of course 4.5M is high for AB. But he is also a pretty good player. Probably not 4.5 good, but definitely amoung our best 6 forwards. You can run him out of town just to ditch his salary, but at this point in time there is nowhere to use that excess that is more valuable than having him on the team. Once the year starts and the games are being played salary means very little. They are players on a hockey team trying to win games.

I hope Burrows has a bounce back year and has a few more good years in Vancouver.

Judging him on the last two years is both reasonable and intelligent.

It would be completely reasonable and intelligent if he hadn't spent the majority of that time out of the line up with broken bones. I'm pretty sure I could take GSP if he was in a coma, therefore he must be a terrible fighter.

Without the twins on his line he tops out at 10

He scored 12 as a 3rd / 4th liner his 2nd full season getting 10 mins per game not on a line with the Sedins. His third full season he played most of with the Sedins and scored 28. Another benefit to being on the first line is that you can get twice as much ice time as you so on the third.

15 goals on the third line might be just as good as 25 on the first line.

You talking about the guy that bites, kicks and on different occasions has pulled hair? Yea I wouldn't mind seeing him gone . The guy is an embarrassment.

Theo Fleury played that way. He also scored 100+ points and was one of the best players in the league. It is a dangerous game. Agitators can be hugely beneficial or they can hurt you. One thing is for certain, Alex Burrows wants to win. He will do whatever he thinks will help the team win.

I'm not going to stand here and say Burrows will do this or he won't do that. I'm not psychic. Burr has always been a heart and soul player. He loves this team. The Sedin's made him what he is but I think that goes both ways to some extent. He didn't need any help when he turned the puck over against Chicago and slayed the dragon. Or when he broke the slump against the Hurrianes after that dreadful losing streak. Or when he wrapped the puck around the net to score in OT of the finals. He did that all on his own. He had one off year. Maybe he will never regain the same form as he once had, maybe he will come back in full force. I'm more than willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. He's earned it. It's not like he has an incredibly high trade value right now where it makes more sense to trade him. His value is low and he has a NTC and unlike Kesler, he wants to see it through. We as fans should be grateful. Those of us fans that want to win now (not judging, but some practical ones would rather see us tank) just need to cross our fingers and hope the new regime can get the magic going.

He scored 12 as a 3rd / 4th liner his 2nd full season getting 10 mins per game not on a line with the Sedins. His third full season he played most of with the Sedins and scored 28. Another benefit to being on the first line is that you can get twice as much ice time as you so on the third.

15 goals on the third line might be just as good as 25 on the first line.

Your kidding right?!? Burrows is a 4.5 Mill cap hit but he actually made 6 MILLION last year and 5 this year!!!! 5-6 MILLION for a 3rd liner who scores 15 goals and your happy with that??? OMG u got to be freaking kidding me!!!!! Dane Fox, Hunter Shinkaruk or Horvat could score 15 goals on the 3rd line for 900k, heck we could have even brought back Mason Raymond to do that for a fraction of the price.

Players in the league making 4.5 million cap hit;

David Backes

Vincent Lecavilier

Jacob Voracek

Max Pacioretty

James VanRiemsdyk

Loui Erikson

Players in the Nhl making 6 Million 2013-2015 seasons :

Jonathan Toews 6.5

Patrick Kane 6.5

John Tavares 6

Patrick Sharp 6.5

Marian Gaborik 6.075

Milian Lucic 6

Taylor Hall 6

Evander Kane 6

RNH 6

Logan Couture 6

ALEX BURROWS 6

Your telling me Burrows is in this caliber of players??? With these Olympians and NHL all stars?!?!? For someone making that amount of money, you have to be able to do something on your own!!!!! Can't just say "oh I play well with the twins." That's like anyone else saying I can only play with Crosby and Malkin or Ovechkin.

This is the difference between us and other teams, we have way to many overpaid players. And the worst part is almost all of CDC falls in love with our players and are to blind to see the real picture. We need bang for buck in order to succeed, especially in a salary cap era, we need to make every dollar count.

Janick Hansen is also on the list. 2.5 Million with a NO TRADE CLAUSE FOR A 4TH LINER!!!

I like Alex Burrows....the story of being undrafted and becoming key player in Line 1 with the Sedins. His tenacity is great and his hunger to win games is pretty obvious. The clips that the OP posted has bitter sweet taste for me. Sweet because that game should be the game 7 of Stanley Cup....2011 was the magical year for the Canucks except game 3, 4 and 7 of the final round.

It was a magical career for Burrows. But lets stop being sentimental here. If we can get a player that could contribute to the future of this team and will ensure us becoming a contender, nay, becoming a SC champs so be it. How I wish Burrows could win the Cup here or perhaps train the young blood to become like him or even better.

But knowing Canucks, we seldom keep our key drafted players - trading Bure, Linden (i know we got Bert via this trade), Kesler, Schneids etc. Because the team is not sentimental and would like to win. So, i think the GM and owner will deal Burr if they see an excellent opportunity to get new players that could contribute to their "idea" of a winning team.

The problem with burr is he was underpaid for 4 years, and instead of doing good business and paying him whats fair for his skill set, he was overpaid and over-extended by MG. Then his production dropped and its now a really bad contract.

Hopefully burr can keep up his PK ability and put up 45 points.

Burrows is a 4.5 Mill cap hit but he actually made 6 MILLION last year and 5 this year!!!!

5-6 MILLION for a 3rd liner who scores 15 goals and your happy with that??? OMG u got to be freaking kidding me!!!!!

Dane Fox, Hunter Shinkaruk or Horvat could score 15 goals on the 3rd line for 900k

Janick Hansen is also on the list. 2.5 Million with a NO TRADE CLAUSE FOR A 4TH LINER!!!

Cap hit is all that matters to the team (4.5m). Let the owners worry about the front-loaded $

It sounds like Burr will be the 2nd LW and will get PP opportunities. We (even you) have no idea how many goals or assists he will have, not to mention all the other pluses he brings to the game (perhaps you should listen to the Dejardins' interview).

Fox, Horvat and Shinks are most likely not making the team, so no, they will not be scoring 15gs. Yes, we would all like to see the shiny new toys perform. They will join the team when they are NHL ready; no need to rush them.

Hansen had one bad season playing for a coach that did not use him effectively. Before last season his stats were improving each year, so chances are, he will return to his usual form (+/- 15g/40pts). Well worth 2.5M. He has a LIMITED NTC and is a 3RD LINER!!!

Theo Fleury played that way. He also scored 100+ points and was one of the best players in the league. It is a dangerous game. Agitators can be hugely beneficial or they can hurt you. One thing is for certain, Alex Burrows wants to win. He will do whatever he thinks will help the team win.

Even accept a trade? Nope.

Hence the Burrows conundrum.

It would be completely reasonable and intelligent if he hadn't spent the majority of that time out of the line up with broken bones. I'm pretty sure I could take GSP if he was in a coma, therefore he must be a terrible fighter.

Your GSP coma comparison is weak to say the least. You don't play unless you're healthy, especially in the regualar season. How many times did Kesler try that stupid trick?

Of course you look at what the player has done recently. Any GM or player agent that didn't would be a moron.

You're finding excuses to give him a free pass.

Cap hit is all that matters to the team (4.5m). Let the owners worry about the front-loaded $

It sounds like Burr will be the 2nd LW and will get PP opportunities. We (even you) have no idea how many goals or assists he will have, not to mention all the other pluses he brings to the game (perhaps you should listen to the Dejardins' interview).

Fox, Horvat and Shinks are most likely not making the team, so no, they will not be scoring 15gs. Yes, we would all like to see the shiny new toys perform. They will join the team when they are NHL ready; no need to rush them.

Hansen had one bad season playing for a coach that did not use him effectively. Before last season his stats were improving each year, so chances are, he will return to his usual form (+/- 15g/40pts). Well worth 2.5M. He has a LIMITED NTC and is a 3RD LINER!!!

Yeah cap hit is all that matters but did u see some of the other players with a cap hit of 4.5 in the league. Burrows does not compare

Your kidding right?!? Burrows is a 4.5 Mill cap hit but he actually made 6 MILLION last year and 5 this year!!!! 5-6 MILLION for a 3rd liner who scores 15 goals and your happy with that??? OMG u got to be freaking kidding me!!!!! Dane Fox, Hunter Shinkaruk or Horvat could score 15 goals on the 3rd line for 900k, heck we could have even brought back Mason Raymond to do that for a fraction of the price.

Players in the league making 4.5 million cap hit;

David Backes RFA deal

Vincent Lecavilier Scored huge on a buyout, making 6m this season

Jacob Voracek RFA deal

Max Pacioretty RFA deal

James VanRiemsdyk RFA deal

Loui Erikson RFA deal

Players in the Nhl making 6 Million 2013-2015 seasons :

Jonathan Toews 6.5 Signed RFA during the 09/10 season makes 13.8m from 2014-2018

Patrick Kane 6.5 Signed RFA during the 09/10 season makes 13.8m from 2014-2018

John Tavares 6 RFA deal

Patrick Sharp 6.5 5.9m cap hit signed in the 11/12 season comparable goals to Burrows

Marian Gaborik 6.075 Signed after the 13/14 season 11 goals in 41 games

Milian Lucic 6 RFA deal

Taylor Hall 6 RFA deal

Evander Kane 6 RFA deal signed in the 11/12 season with a career high 19 goals

RNH 6 RFA deal

Logan Couture 6 RFA deal

ALEX BURROWS 6/5 Signed in the 12/13 season (cap hit 4.5m) scoring 28 goals (6m last season 5 this season)

Your telling me Burrows is in this caliber of players??? With these Olympians and NHL all stars?!?!? For someone making that amount of money, you have to be able to do something on your own!!!!! Can't just say "oh I play well with the twins." That's like anyone else saying I can only play with Crosby and Malkin or Ovechkin.

This is the difference between us and other teams, we have way to many overpaid players. And the worst part is almost all of CDC falls in love with our players and are to blind to see the real picture. We need bang for buck in order to succeed, especially in a salary cap era, we need to make every dollar count.

You do have to look at when a deal was signed as cap limit at that times plays into a deal and whether it is a UFA deal or a RFA deal as ufa's tend to get more. Love how you cherry pick cap hit for some and actual salary for others in your attempt to make Burrows look bad.

Hansen is a quality third line player and his cap hit is very decent for that role. If he ends up on the fourth line it's due to good depth and would put him in the outstanding area of fourth liners. As you like to cherry pick your numbers he's only making 1.5m this season, 500k less than Dorsett. Btw, he has a modified ntc as opposed to a full ntc like Burrows.

Archived