The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

To the people saying "trade Burrows" ....

The Listening

We gotta move Burrows and free up space for one of kids to crack the lineup, otherwise there's just not any room for Shink or Horvat or whoever steps up at training camp.

How about instead we actually make one of the kids actually win his spot instead of having it handed to him.

Very well put. He will be the player who is the most watched this year. If he tears it up, great. If not he's gone. I don't think he is at all a JB type of player...

He may not be a JB player in your opinion however he just may be a Willie Desjardins type of player and from how Burr has played in the past, up until his injuries last season, the fact he brings his best each night is exactly what Willie wants to see from Burr this year. It just might be Burr will never return to the level of his old form as some suggest but I believe he should be given the opportunity to try.

Why are there so many out there that predict he is going to fail. Those types of people are fatalists. They never see good things, they always pick out the bad to harp about. Their lives must be terrible to live day in and day out, always worrying about the bad things that, in their mind, will happen. How would anyone be comfortable in associating with someone like that. Being a downer all the time. WOW - things will turn out the way they turn out and no one can predict that so why worry about it constantly.

Smile, be optimistic and happy rather than being a dead beat every day of your life. You might live longer if you try. How much do you really get out of life by being able to say once in a while, "I told you so" or claiming to be a self professed realist because you think something might turn out like you have predicted. Does it make any one feel better.

I suppose to some they believe they are on top of the world. Nothing but pure unadulterated bovine excrement as far as I am concerned.

To all underperformers, from now on you either produce at the required level that is expected of you, or there will be no place for you on this team. Plain and simple. Mediocrity and incompetence will not be tolerated any longer. There are going to be a big changes coming in the team's culture and philosophy. This is a new era for the team.The bar is going to be set much higher, at standards that are second to none.

You must strive for excellence and be prepared to meet the challenges that lie ahead of getting this team back to a competitive level and play like you want to be here and want win every time you're on the ice. That is the mentality that must be adopted. The Vancouver Canucks are a great organization, and to play for this team is a privilege and an honour. You must be cognizant of that at all times.

I advise you all to do some soul searching and re-examine your priorities. Either you are with us or you are not. You must be fully committed to the team and passionate about achieving the goal of bringing a cup to Vancouver, and relentless in pursuit of it. That is how we must approach it. As a team you need to right personal for the job but of equal importance is the right attitude, a winning attitude. That is key. That is the crucial element for success that cannot be overemphasized.

And having a broken ankle or jaw is not an excuse!

He may not be a JB player in your opinion however he just may be a Willie Desjardins type of player and from how Burr has played in the past, up until his injuries last season, the fact he brings his best each night is exactly what Willie wants to see from Burr this year. It just might be Burr will never return to the level of his old form as some suggest but I believe he should be given the opportunity to try.

Why are there so many out there that predict he is going to fail. Those types of people are fatalists. They never see good things, they always pick out the bad to harp about. Their lives must be terrible to live day in and day out, always worrying about the bad things that, in their mind, will happen. How would anyone be comfortable in associating with someone like that. Being a downer all the time. WOW - things will turn out the way they turn out and no one can predict that so why worry about it constantly.

Smile, be optimistic and happy rather than being a dead beat every day of your life. You might live longer if you try. How much do you really get out of life by being able to say once in a while, "I told you so" or claiming to be a self professed realist because you think something might turn out like you have predicted. Does it make any one feel better.

I suppose to some they believe they are on top of the world. Nothing but pure unadulterated bovine excrement as far as I am concerned.

Once again what you're missing is that these people are not fatalist but realist. He could bounce back, he might not. Some people like to plan in advance in order to have the best outcomes in their day to day lives. Especially when these decisions affect millions of dollars, millions of people, and an entire year.

Some people call it being an adult.

That would be like well I barely have enough money to pay rent, should I go out and get hammered and blow it all? Yeah why not I'll just buy a lottery ticket and be optimistic that I win. I guess the older you get the less you like having to get yourself out of jams that you could have prevented in the first place.

It doesn't mean you're a negative person because you try to plan for the future.

Because players are expected to be 100% back into game shape after missing a lengthy amount of time due to injury...

From your ridiculous comment it is certainly obvious that you have never played at a level in sports above bush or beer league. As a matter of fact I would guess you have not even been injured playing sports. If you have played sports at a more competent level, than you would know all about injuries, physical rehab but more importantly, the psychological rehab that each player must go through before he can convince his mind he won't be hurt again.

This is not about being in game shape, it is about a player getting his mind right to be able to play to his normal level of performance and being comfortable about playing at that level without worry of being hurt again. Give your head a shake before making a stupid remark like that. It makes it obvious you know nothing about what you are talking about

Once again what you're missing is that these people are not fatalist but realist. He could bounce back, he might not. Some people like to plan in advance in order to have the best outcomes in their day to day lives. Especially when these decisions affect millions of dollars, millions of people, and an entire year.

Some people call it being an adult.

That would be like well I barely have enough money to pay rent, should I go out and get hammered and blow it all? Yeah why not I'll just buy a lottery ticket and be optimistic that I win. I guess the older you get the less you like having to get yourself out of jams that you could have prevented in the first place.

It doesn't mean you're a negative person because you try to plan for the future.

I suggest there is a difference about using common sense to make decisions than having a life full of negativity and calling it being a realist. You know as well as I do that the world is full of people who look upon everything in a negative manner. People like that can be very indecisive about everything. Often circumstances preclude certain situations from happening as they should happen. Case in point, a broken ankle sustained by a professional athlete. Prior to the player sustaining that injury, there was nothing in his level of play that even hinted that there was a decline in his play. Common sense and history of the player would suggest to some the player would recover and get back to his level of play, yet some would take a negative attitude and suggest the player would never return to old form.

Realism should be based on what happened in the past will in all likelihood return to form. It is based on tangible happenings. Fatalism or negativity is not based on anything but theory or prediction. Realists base their opinions on what they have witnessed, experienced and have learned. How can anyone effectively plan for anything through prediction . That is not being a realist in my very humble opinion.

From your ridiculous comment it is certainly obvious that you have never played at a level in sports above bush or beer league. As a matter of fact I would guess you have not even been injured playing sports. If you have played sports at a more competent level, than you would know all about injuries, physical rehab but more importantly, the psychological rehab that each player must go through before he can convince his mind he won't be hurt again.

This is not about being in game shape, it is about a player getting his mind right to be able to play to his normal level of performance and being comfortable about playing at that level without worry of being hurt again. Give your head a shake before making a stupid remark like that. It makes it obvious you know nothing about what you are talking about

I think (I hope) he/she was being sarcastic.

I would hope under Benning's tenure that our medical staff gets a serious look. Too often things are being missed, or overlooked.

Players seem to be rushed back, clearly before they are ready. I'd like to see better diagnoses and improved rehab for players.

I would hope under Benning's tenure that our medical staff gets a serious look. Too often things are being missed, or overlooked.

Players seem to be rushed back, clearly before they are ready. I'd like to see better diagnoses and improved rehab for players.

Agreed. I also think the improved team depth, will allow for longer recovery times so players won't be rushed back.

Burr is an overpaid, overrated rotten third liner. The only reason he used to score a lot was because of the sedins who are now old.

I got pissed off watching him screw up last year. He is not what this team needs.

WHAT are you talking about? How many players did they try to play with the SEDINS who couldn't do it. BURR has made lots of lines better and just because of last year you say all that. So, what about the SEDINS 10 goals and their 7 million dollar contract. Answer that one!

I suggest there is a difference about using common sense to make decisions than having a life full of negativity and calling it being a realist. You know as well as I do that the world is full of people who look upon everything in a negative manner. People like that can be very indecisive about everything. Often circumstances preclude certain situations from happening as they should happen. Case in point, a broken ankle sustained by a professional athlete. Prior to the player sustaining that injury, there was nothing in his level of play that even hinted that there was a decline in his play. Common sense and history of the player would suggest to some the player would recover and get back to his level of play, yet some would take a negative attitude and suggest the player would never return to old form.

Realism should be based on what happened in the past will in all likelihood return to form. It is based on tangible happenings. Fatalism or negativity is not based on anything but theory or prediction. Realists base their opinions on what they have witnessed, experienced and have learned. How can anyone effectively plan for anything through prediction . That is not being a realist in my very humble opinion.

Good well thought out reply.

I agree some are being decisively negative however, I for one don't question whether he can return to form or not, that's not the issue in my opinion. I question how good was that form to begin with. He is simply a 3rd liner / 2nd line tweener without the Sedins. He just doesn't produce without them from what I've seen (not that there is anything wrong with that). Realistically I don't think he should have ever been the be all end all solution as our top winger not named Sedin. That issue should have been addressed 2-3 years ago. Not to take anything away from how incredibly he has performed in a four year stretch with them.

So even if he returns to form he's still overpaid regardless of whether he kills penalties, sticks up for his teammates, PK's, etc.. Not badly overpaid but on a team that needs to add legitimate top 6 answers and not stop gaps Burrows should be down the pecking order for where and how he fits into the team. Once those more important positions are solidified then I have no problem seeing if we can fit Burrows in as a support player.

It just seems to me that some people would rather fit Burrows into the line-up at all costs before thinking about what this team really needs moving forward.

He may return to form but if doesn't play the majority of the games with the Sedins (which he shouldn't) his return to form is likely looking at 10-14 goals as an extreme max and about 30 points max as well. That's being optimistic and realistic at the same time. Whether that's worth $4.5 with our team re-defining itself and looking to get younger remains to be seen and therefore it is a viable question worth examining.

WHAT are you talking about? How many players did they try to play with the SEDINS who couldn't do it. BURR has made lots of lines better and just because of last year you say all that. So, what about the SEDINS 10 goals and their 7 million dollar contract. Answer that one!

Once again I must mention that comment is completely without substance. Burrows was the best of a horrible group of players that have played with the Sedins. As if Burrows is the only guy in the NHL that can play with the Sedins. The reason he has been the only successful one is because the rest of the players suck. You will see the difference this year when a guy with skill like Vrbata plays with them.

If you the Alex Burrows should be traded you obviously have zero knowledge of the game of hockey. Guy is undrafted at every level and plays first line in the show...

Does anyone actually realize how good of a player you would need to be and how hard you would need to play to accomplish this... Tervor Linden can`t even say this about himself and the guys a hero to all of us born and raised in this city!

Burrows and a hand full of other players are the heart and sole of the team, this handful certainly does not include either Sedins.... Trade anyone out of Vancouver it should be the twins first while they are still fooling people into thinking they are elite players in the league! Can`t be elite if you hide and cower away in the post season...

Archived