The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

To the people saying "trade Burrows" ....

The Listening

Burrows was -9 last year. Kesler (former Selke winner) was -15. The team allowed 27 more goals than they scored and these two were the go to guys for all of the toughest situations. You need to consider all of the variables before formulating opinions based on statistics.

The worst thing that can happen to a player is a long term injury to start the year. Once he was healthy enough to get into the line-up the rest of the league had already had a quarter of the season to get their legs. His first 3 or 4 games back he came very close to scoring a number of times. He hit goalposts and was robbed one or twice.

When a slump like that happens, every game that goes by gets harder. If one or two of those early chances go into the net, it could be a completely different season for Burr. They didn't and it wasn't. When he finally did have one go in for him he scored 5 in 4 games and then got injured again.

He still has the ability to score. Judging him on the last two years is a mistake

Judging him on the last two years is both reasonable and intelligent.

You talking about the guy that bites, kicks and on different occasions has pulled hair? Yea I wouldn't mind seeing him gone . The guy is an embarrassment.

Dude, just like the big goals that Burrows has scored during his time here, all the things you have mentioned are in the past (except for the hair pulling on Kessel, but that too, is technically in the past). We've got to leave all the stuff where it belongs....in the past.

I like Higgins, but you're absolutely nuts if you think he is a better player than Burrows. If he made 2.5M per season there is no way this discussion would be happening. He is easily the fourth best forward on the team and it would not be the strangest thing to ever happen if he got hot and stole the top line spot from RV. I don't think that will happen, but I wouldn't be shocked if it did either.

Salary means a lot less than cap hit. There is a real misconception here about what 4.5M can get you in 2014. The truth is that 4.5M will get you a 20 - 25 goal scorer who plays well at both ends of the ice, can play in any situation, and will do anything he can to help the team win. That is Alex Burrows.

His performance will tell a lot this year, maybe he has lost a step and won't get back to the level he reached in the past, but the worst case scenario is that he is a reliable two-way player who chips in with a few goals. Is that worth 4.5M? Probably not, but it is certainly better than having a one dimensional offencive player who loses his scoring touch.

I think that Burrows will score at least 20 goals this year and will be an asset every time he is on the ice.

Without the twins on his line he tops out at 10

Sure great idea.... Let's rush our propects right into locker room next year and lets forget there is a proven process in seasoning young stars into NHL stars when they are ready. But to say Burr and Hanson are under achieving players on say a couple bad seasons is ludicrous. But I know there is a chance burr might not get a spot but during camp he just might earn a spot then if he has a bouce back year then what everyone starts singing his praises? Wow little harsh as Canuck fans we sure go for the jugular when players drop the ball. It's what have you done for me lately. lol

Oh please, did the Sedins get Art Ross trophies when they played with Pyatt? Linden? Naslund? Even Naslund, didn't click with the Sedins.

Yes, Sedins made Burrows into that 35 goal scorer. But Burrows provided that missing RW for the twins and helped them elevate their games into winning league trophies and such.

The problem is, you're not giving credit to Burrows. If AV didn't put Burr with the Twins, who knows how long we'll lose in that season.

Were they even close to as good of players then? no, and they still made Pyatt a 20+ goal scorer.

And Naslund may not have "clicked" with them but playing with him was huge for the Sedin's development, they learned a ton from him and got better every year they played with him. Sedin won the Art Ross shortly after Naslund left and the experience he got from playing with Naslund was the biggest reason he won it, Burrows was not the main factor. The problem isn't me not giving Burrows any credit (he does deserve some), the problem is you're giving him way too much.

Burr is an overpaid, overrated rotten third liner. The only reason he used to score a lot was because of the sedins who are now old.

I got pissed off watching him screw up last year. He is not what this team needs.

You didn't say he was rotten when he scored that overtime goal against Chicago that was the main reason of the Canucks winning round 1 and eventually going to the cup finals. Funny thing is the fans chew up and spit out players when they are struggling but if a player like Kesler want to go to a different team and win a cup, people like you are the first to cry and say what a disgraceful person he is for his disloyalty. Seriously, if a lot of people are okay with trading Burrows, then they should just shut up about Kesler going to another team because it makes you guys a hypocrite.

You didn't say he was rotten when he scored that overtime goal against Chicago that was the main reason of the Canucks winning round 1 and eventually going to the cup finals. Funny thing is the fans chew up and spit out players when they are struggling but if a player like Kesler want to go to a different team and win a cup, people like you are the first to cry and say what a disgraceful person he is for his disloyalty. Seriously, if a lot of people are okay with trading Burrows, then they should just shut up about Kesler going to another team because it makes you guys a hypocrite.

Agree. Canuck nation is embarrassing at times.

I don't think we can assume that Burr is 'done' because of one bad, injury filled season. If anyone on the first line is considered to be 'on the decline', I would say it is Daniel. He has clearly struggled since the head injury and we can only wait and see if he can overcome the concussion.

Vrbata may be penciled in as the 1st line W and he may end up being a great linemate for the Sedins. Or, he may not be able to 'dig out the puck' like Burr can, or play the more physical and aggressive game.

It wouldn't surprise me if Burr and Vrbata share the top line RW duties, depending on the opposition.

People are giving up on Alex way too soon. Yeah, his salary may be a bit high, but the Nucks are entering a time frame where the salary cap isn't as tight as it used to be. The extra 1m will not be a significant amount with the younger players coming aboard.

I don't think we can assume that Burr is 'done' because of one bad, injury filled season. If anyone on the first line is considered to be 'on the decline', I would say it is Daniel. He has clearly struggled since the head injury and we can only wait and see if he can overcome the concussion.

Vrbata may be penciled in as the 1st line W and he may end up being a great linemate for the Sedins. Or, he may not be able to 'dig out the puck' like Burr can, or play the more physical and aggressive game.

It wouldn't surprise me if Burr and Vrbata share the top line duties, depending on the opposition.

People are giving up on Alex way too soon. Yeah, his salary may be a bit high, but the Nucks are entering a time frame where the salary cap isn't as tight as it used to be. The extra 1m will not be a significant amount with the younger players coming aboard.

The only thing that would surprise me more than Burr and Vrbata on line 1 with Henrik would be Daniel in goal.

Love what Burr did for this team, despite despising him as an individual. But he fits in the team's history, not their future.

The only thing that would surprise me more than Burr and Vrbata on line 1 with Henrik would be Daniel in goal.

Love what Burr did for this team, despite despising him as an individual. But he fits in the team's history, not their future.

I meant that they would share the RW duties.

I'm glad Kesler is gone...ship out anyone who doesn't want to be here. For everyone else remaining, trade them, if trading them makes the Canucks a better team in the near future.

Very well put. He will be the player who is the most watched this year. If he tears it up, great. If not he's gone. I don't think he is at all a JB type of player...

To all underperformers, from now on you either produce at the required level that is expected of you, or there will be no place for you on this team. Plain and simple. Mediocrity and incompetence will not be tolerated any longer. There are going to be a big changes coming in the team's culture and philosophy. This is a new era for the team.The bar is going to be set much higher, at standards that are second to none.

You must strive for excellence and be prepared to meet the challenges that lie ahead of getting this team back to a competitive level and play like you want to win and want to be here every time you're on the ice. That is the mentality that must be adopted. The Vancouver Canucks are an elite organization, and to play for this team is a privilege and an honour. You must be cognizant of that at all times and never take for granted the opportunity you have. Whenever you put on the Canucks jersey and go out and play for the team, you are representing a great organization and you should take pride in that.

I advise you all to do some critical self-evaluation, and re-examine your priorities. Either you are with us or you are not. You must be fully committed to the team, passionate about winning, and driven in pursuing the goal of bringing a cup to Vancouver. That is how we must approach it. As a team you need to right personal for the job but of equal importance is the right attitude, a winning attitude. That is key. That is the crucial element for success that cannot be overemphasized.

Why is it so hard for some to see the simple logic of getting his worth now instead of dealing with scraps when he is done ? This is sports, you have to learn to let go people. I have much respect for Burr and his game but If he does not want to waive that is his prerogative. Maybe Benning put it on the table for Burr to rekindle the fire ? Maybe he seeks opportunity elsewhere ?

Teams that are pro active with their rosters stay competitive. We have been very stagnant since the cup run and are in desperate need of young blood and new character.

There is no hate or complaining, just the facts of pro hockey life. Father time comes for them all.

Archived