The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Looking forward to the [2015 NHL Entry Draft]

S N Y P E R S 7

Calgary and Edmonton have drafted in front of us last few drafts,so unless our picks are home runs and they have some busts to close the gap it looks like the future may not be as bright as one might think.All the more reason to think about trying to figure out a way to trade some of these vets to contenders over the next few years.

We need a future #1D really bad

we need any future d prospects really bad. Our young forwards look promising between lack Ericsson and demko our tending will be solid for years. Tame subban corrado and Hutton are all 3-6 guys. We need to solidify our future in the back end soon.

we need any future d prospects really bad. Our young forwards look promising between lack Ericsson and demko our tending will be solid for years. Tame subban corrado and Hutton are all 3-6 guys. We need to solidify our future in the back end soon.

While another promising D. would be great, I think Hutton definitely has potential for first pairing and if Subban can grow a bit he may be first pairing material. Corrado maybe but 2nd pairing is more likely at this point.

Mceneny might have potential as well.

Forgot about Tryamkin, you never know he could surprise people.

Tank please. Sacrifice a year for a future star.

Regards true Canuck fan. Not interested in a middle of the pack finish or a early exit type of year with a middle of the pack pick.

Do you know what a "Fan" means? A true fan does NOT wish the team tanks or sucks. A fan is not a analyst or a GM, they're not pessimistic people, they're not saying "we should tank cause we suck". No matter what, win or lose, you cheer your team to win not to lose. Besides we won't tank and I'd rather see us back in the damn playoffs.

Do you know what a "Fan" means? A true fan does NOT wish the team tanks or sucks. A fan is not a analyst or a GM, they're not pessimistic people, they're not saying "we should tank cause we suck". No matter what, win or lose, you cheer your team to win not to lose. Besides we won't tank and I'd rather see us back in the damn playoffs.

Being a fan just means you want to the team to succeed and success in this league is determined by winning the Stanley Cup. Who are you to say that a person is not a fan just because they are "pessimistic". Don't blame fans for thinking about tanking blame the system which rewards the worst teams. The fans that want the team to "tank" are no less of a fan than you are, they too want to see the team win the ultimate prize and that is all that it takes to be a fan. I dislike it when people try to add their own guidelines on what constitutes a "fan".

Regards true Canuck fan. Not interested in a middle of the pack finish or a early exit type of year with a middle of the pack pick.

Tanking is a slippery slope, look at Edmonton. It was great at first getting Hall, RNH, Eberle et all but you end up paying through the nose to keep them and year after year of not making the playoffs. Fans in Edmonton have had enough of the tank and want a taste of the playoffs now and have almost no chance even this year of making it.

The way you put it there I don't see it as tanking at all. Going into the season set up the way we are it looks to me like management is trying to make it a winning season. Whether or not that pans out obviously we'll have to wait and see. But if by trade deadline we're 8-10 points out of a playoff spot in a dogfight with 2 other teams, I agree. Dump some more vets, clear up some space, deal for prospects or picks for 2015, and prepare for next year. THAT isn't tanking, that's just being aware of the situation and not being in denial about it.

"True fan" is one of the dumbest phrases I have ever seen associated with sports fandom.

As much as I love Kesler how is it that we have SEVERELY DOWNGRADED by adding Bonino, Sbisa, Miller & Vrbata??? Kesler is good but not as good as Vrbata, Bonino, Miller & Sbisa put together. SO I would clearly say we're better than last year. For you to assume that the Sedins & Burrows will play the same as last year & not improve on the worst season ever also isn't very likely. I'm not an expert either but I can pretty much Guarantee the Sedins & Burrows will be better than last year. I will bet on that with anybody even an expert. lol.

Since when does losing Kesler = adding Sbisa Bonino Miller and Vrbata?

We lost: Garrison, Kesler, Luongo, and Santorelli

I'm gonna say that Eriksson bolts for the SEL at the end of this season if he doesn't make the Canucks roster. One of Lack or Markstrom will be moved sooner than later, so the only guy standing for the next 3 years while Demko finishes out his college career is Cannata. Good thing there's no shortage of capable back ups in the AHL and NHL nowadays.

But you're absolutely right...we need a bona fide #1 d-man prospect. IMO, Tryamkin could be the darkhorse (at least here's wishing he is). I wonder what it would take to get Morgan Reilly out of Toronto and into a Canucks jersey.

From what I remember, we started the season with so much hope and promise with the following lineup:

Forwards

Daniel - Hank - Burrows | Higgins - Kesler - Santorelli | Booth - Richardson - Hansen |Sestito - Dalpe - Weise

*Kassian is suspended for the first five games of the regular season

Defencemen

Hamhuis - Edler | Garrison - Bieksa | Stanton - Tanev | Alberts - Weber

Goalies

Luongo | Lack

The we finished with this (sort of how I remember it to be):

Forwards

Daniel - Hank - Jensen | Booth - Kesler - Burrows | Zalewski - Matthias - Kassian | Sestito - Dalpe - Richardson

Extras: Higgins, Schroeder (LTIR), Santorelli (LTIR)

Defencemen

Edler - Bieksa | Garrison - Corrado | Stanton - Weber

Extras: Hamhuis, Alberts (LTIR), Tanev (LTIR)

Goalies

Lack | Markstrom

And I see opening day 23-man roster for 2014-2015 being (with one of Jeffrey or Sanguinetti being sent down):

Forwards

Daniel - Hank - Vrbata | Burrows - Bonino - Kassian | Higgins - Matthias - Vey | Hansen (LW) - Richardson - Dorsett

Extra: Sestito | Jeffrey

Defencemen

Hamhuis - Bieksa | Edler - Tanev | Sbisa - Stanton

Extra: Weber | Sanguinetti

Goalies

Miller | Lack

That's a total of 12 players that were at one time a Canuck that won't be back this year (though I'm sure we haven't seen the last of Jensen, Zalewski, Corrado and Markstrom). JB has done a nice job of turning the team over...hopefully the new faces will gel and be competitive enough to make the playoffs.

Still a fair amount of holes (same ones as before...i.e., proven secondary scoring, PMD, a big/brash/nasty shut down d-man).

If we can get one more first round pick we'll be set for years. I usually say BPA but we can't go picking forwards anymore, there's depth on our backend prospect pool but the depth is not quality. Need to go out there and pick 2-3 stud defencemen with our pick.

This draft's top 40 is stronger than 2013's but the depth of 2013 is quite stronger. I only see 5-6 defencemen who are top 30 calibre so were going to hope for some to drop and be able to pick up the defencemen in the draft.

Jeremy Roy? He can be a good puck moving(he is right?) defensemen we need.

Yeah he is, he'll be hiding behind Hanifin, Kylington, Andersson in terms of defencemen rankings but he'll be behind Hanifin in terms of the best defenceman to come out of this draft IMO.

He'll be a sleeper and be drafted around 17-25.

Just was responding to Spoderman???

Spoderman, on 21 Jul 2014 - 3:25 PM, said:snapback.png

The Canucks don't have to tank to acquire a top pick. If the Sedins and Burrows play the same way they did last year, the Canucks are probably going to pick in the top 10. The team has severely downgraded with the departure of Kesler, and the acquisitions of Bonino, Sbisa, Miller, and Vrbata won't make a huge impact. Just my opinion, though. I'm not an expert in any way possible lol

• 2 weeks later...
Pronman's top 30:
1. Connor McDavid, C, Erie (OHL)
2. Jack Eichel, C, Boston University (NCAA, Hockey East)
3. Oliver Kylington, D, Farjestad (SHL)
4. Noah Hanifin, D, Boston College (NCAA, Hockey East)
5. Travis Konecny, C, Ottawa (OHL)
6. Pavel Zacha, LW, Sarnia (OHL)
7. Mathew Barzal, C, Seattle (WHL)
8. Jeremy Roy, D, Sherbrooke (QMJHL)
9. Colin White, C, USNTDP (USHL)
10. Dylan Strome, C, Erie (OHL)
11. Zach Werenski, D, Michigan (NCAA, Big Ten)
12. Mitch Marner, RW, London (OHL)
13. Daniel Sprong, RW, Charlottetown (QMJHL)
14. Rasmus Andersson, D, Barrie (OHL)
15. Jeremy Bracco, RW, USNTDP (USHL)
16. Lawson Crouse, LW, Kingston (OHL)
17. Erik Cernak, D, HC Kosice (Slovakia)
18. Matt Spencer, D, Peterborough (OHL)
19. Kyle Connor, C, Youngstown (USHL)
20. Denis Malgin, C, GC Lions (NLB)
21. Nicolas Roy, RW, Chicoutimi (QMJHL)
22. Evgeni Svechnikov, LW, Cape Breton (QMJHL)
23. Nick Merkley, C, Kelowna (WHL)
24. Aleksi Saarela, C, Luuko (Liiga)
25. Jansen Harkins, C, Prince George (WHL)
26. Ivan Provorov, D, Brandon (WHL)
27. Graham Knott, LW, Niagara (OHL)
28. Mikko Rantanen, RW, TPS (Liiga)
29. Blake Speers, C, Sault Ste. Marie (OHL)
30. Thomas Novak, C, Waterloo (USHL)

Archived