The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Value of] Hamhuis + Bieksa 2016

In 2010 Mike Gillis signed Dan Hamhuis to a lucrative 6 year deal in order for him to play for his hometown team and it was a heralded move stacking Vancouver's defense with the likes of Ballard, Erhoff, Salo, Bieksa and budding star Edler. Due to the expense of the d core it was much suggested Kevin Bieksa was considered the most likely trade bait on the back end after playing his entire career to that point with Vancouver. Luckily due to LG and a timely injury Bieksa was given a roster spot for the time being.

History was made and Hamhuis and Bieksa made sweet music together as a premier shutdown pair that could compete with the best in the league. After a disappointing SCF loss, a miserable showing from Ballard, losing Ehrhoff to FA, and Salo beginning to show his age, Bieksa and Hamhuis showed that they were the reliable veterans the team needed to keep moving forward. Bieksa was signed to a 5 year deal and along with Edler make up the 3 surviving members of that special top 6 we saw play maybe 10 games together.

There have been a few top 4 players moved and bought out (Ballard/Garrison), A few who have walked (ehrhoff/Salo) and a bevy of depth guys who have come and gone. As it stands Vancouver has moved youth on to the blue line with 5 players all going into 2014 as future RFA's. But as it stands there is no question this is Hamhuis and Bieksa's blueline. Leaders on the team and leaders in the community both are highly regarded by fans as two of the top 10 defensemen in Canuck history. But things are slowly creeping towards a decision.

At the end of the 2015-16 season both veteran defensemen will be up for new contracts. While most would consider their re-signing a no-brainer and with a rising cap should be rewarded for their contributions to the team, the decision is not so black and white. When their contracts are up Dan Hamhuis will be 33 years old on the verge of turning 34, Kevin Bieksa on the other hand will be hitting that complex age of 35 where 35-plus contracts take effect.

Dan and Kevin make a combined 9.1M now or roughly what PK Subban will make himself when he signs his next contract. For now that seems like a good deal, but what will they be deserving of in 2 years? And how much of their play will deteriorate over that time span? These are the questions many of us wonder when it comes to guys like this. Defense man usually have the ability to have longer careers and can continue a high-level of play later in their careers than forwards. But with a younger vet in Edler being paid well and budding stars like Tanev, Corrado coming into new contract next year it will be interesting to see what happens with these two staples of the blue line.

Predictions are difficult this early on as no one has seen the pair play since April and their is another 164+ games to be played before 2016 comes to an end. Nor do we know if either will want to remain in Vancouver (although most indications point to yes), but I will attempt it.

Dan Hamhuis who is a year and a half younger than Bieksa will most likely be signed to a 2 or 3 year deal. The cap hit could reach 5-6 million but I believe would probably be closer to the lower side for the security of remaining with the team.

Kevin Bieksa could also look at a 2 year deal around the same cap hit he has now. He, maybe even more so than his teammate from BC, loves Vancouver and has indicated he will remain on the team as long as they want him. This leads to an additional option for Trevor Linden and Jim Benning. Can you convince Bieksa to sign 1 year deals filled with performance bonuses until retirement? Can he be signed long term (3-4 years) at a cap hit much lower than his value?

In 2 years This team will look even more different than it does today with big decisions to be made. For all we know both could be bringing assets back to Vancouver in late winter '16. But for the time being it is comforting knowing that Vancouver has Hammer and Juice protecting the blue line.

Thanks for reading.

What the Canucks seem to love doing is trading players when their value is low. If Hamhuis and Bieksa aren't planning on retiring as Canucks, now is the best time to trade them. I don't mind them staying until they retire, as they are high character guys that Benning and Linden love. However, after 3-4 years, they will most likely be mentors. I wouldn't mind moving one of them for a high draft pick in the upcoming draft or a young player and looking for a veteran on the open market. Since they both have NTC's, I think Bieksa would waive if he were to be approached, but I don't see Hamhuis waiving. As for contracts, I'd be hesitant to offer Hamhuis anything over 5.5 and I'd give Bieksa the same or less than what he is currently making since he's beginning his decline.

In 2010 Mike Gillis signed Dan Hamhuis to a lucrative 6 year deal in order for him to play for his hometown team and it was a heralded move stacking Vancouver's defense with the likes of Ballard, Erhoff, Salo, Bieksa and budding star Edler. Due to the expense of the d core it was much suggested Kevin Bieksa was considered the most likely trade bait on the back end after playing his entire career to that point with Vancouver. Luckily due to LG and a timely injury Bieksa was given a roster spot for the time being.

History was made and Hamhuis and Bieksa made sweet music together as a premier shutdown pair that could compete with the best in the league. After a disappointing SCF loss, a miserable showing from Ballard, losing Ehrhoff to FA, and Salo beginning to show his age, Bieksa and Hamhuis showed that they were the reliable veterans the team needed to keep moving forward. Bieksa was signed to a 5 year deal and along with Edler make up the 3 surviving members of that special top 6 we saw play maybe 10 games together.

There have been a few top 4 players moved and bought out (Ballard/Garrison), A few who have walked (ehrhoff/Salo) and a bevy of depth guys who have come and gone. As it stands Vancouver has moved youth on to the blue line with 5 players all going into 2014 as future RFA's. But as it stands there is no question this is Hamhuis and Bieksa's blueline. Leaders on the team and leaders in the community both are highly regarded by fans as two of the top 10 defensemen in Canuck history. But things are slowly creeping towards a decision.

At the end of the 2015-16 season both veteran defensemen will be up for new contracts. While most would consider their re-signing a no-brainer and with a rising cap should be rewarded for their contributions to the team, the decision is not so black and white. When their contracts are up Dan Hamhuis will be 33 years old on the verge of turning 34, Kevin Bieksa on the other hand will be hitting that complex age of 35 where 35-plus contracts take effect.

Dan and Kevin make a combined 9.1M now or roughly what PK Subban will make himself when he signs his next contract. For now that seems like a good deal, but what will they be deserving of in 2 years? And how much of their play will deteriorate over that time span? These are the questions many of us wonder when it comes to guys like this. Defense man usually have the ability to have longer careers and can continue a high-level of play later in their careers than forwards. But with a younger vet in Edler being paid well and budding stars like Tanev, Corrado coming into new contract next year it will be interesting to see what happens with these two staples of the blue line.

Predictions are difficult this early on as no one has seen the pair play since April and their is another 164+ games to be played before 2016 comes to an end. Nor do we know if either will want to remain in Vancouver (although most indications point to yes), but I will attempt it.

Dan Hamhuis who is a year and a half younger than Bieksa will most likely be signed to a 2 or 3 year deal. The cap hit could reach 5-6 million but I believe would probably be closer to the lower side for the security of remaining with the team.

Kevin Bieksa could also look at a 2 year deal around the same cap hit he has now. He, maybe even more so than his teammate from BC, loves Vancouver and has indicated he will remain on the team as long as they want him. This leads to an additional option for Trevor Linden and Jim Benning. Can you convince Bieksa to sign 1 year deals filled with performance bonuses until retirement? Can he be signed long term (3-4 years) at a cap hit much lower than his value?

In 2 years This team will look even more different than it does today with big decisions to be made. For all we know both could be bringing assets back to Vancouver in late winter '16. But for the time being it is comforting knowing that Vancouver has Hammer and Juice protecting the blue line.

Thanks for reading.

Right now it's 2014.

Then it'll be 2015.

And THEN. It'll be 2016.

That's when we talk about that.

I think Hamhuis should re-sign 3 years @ 5 million. Tbh I don't think we should re-sign bieksa he will not be worth 5+ million at 34 or 35. Corrado Hutton will be ready in 2 years

He's making 4.5 mill and he dropped off. Why not give him a 500k raise right Gillis? Lol.

Bieksa will probably retire.

If the team's doing good enough Hamhuis should resign for a another discount.

I don't see Bieksa retiring at 35. He didn't break into the league until 2005. Hamhuis has played 200+ more games. I see at least 2 additional years in his career.

When the contracts expire, unless we have some amazing defensive group of youngsters at that time to replace the two of them, I could see them both on like 3 year deals to finish out their careers. I don't think I would trade either right now, but if Corrado, Tanev, Cederholm, Hutton, Subban, and really anyone else prove to be dominant players and we can make an elite top 6 without them, then I would be ok with trading them. But that all seems unlikely.

I'd think Hammer would come back for $5.5 M per season, and I'd be happy with that knowing that his low-maintenance style of play would enable him to contribute even though he's older, and if Sbisa's ready to play in the Top 4 or Edler finally meets his potential we could also keep Hammer from being big minutes anymore but keep him around to be a lock-down D-man. However, if Stanton keeps growing as a player or Tryamkin/ Hutton... etc. steps in I would be okay with letting Hammer go since it would be for the betterment of the team going forward.

As for K.B. I think he'd be the type to be happy to come back on a discount. However, for him it depends on whether he breaks down physically by then since he would be getting older and his style of play would be taxing.

Edler - Corrado
Sbisa - Tanev
Hammer* - Bieksa

*Stanton/ Hutton/ Tryamkin

For now I'm glad he's here and I hope he can retire as a Canuck, since he's such a class act and leader for this team.

We need Hamhuis and Bieksa to stay on as this teams only veterans on the blueline to help mentor the likes of Tanev, Corrado, Sbisa and even Edler.

However, once they're in their mid 30s at the end of these contracts, we'll have Tanev capable of playing 24 minutes, Edler still at around 23-24 minutes, Sbisa will be more than capable of 2nd pairing minutes and 20 minutes, Corrado will have hopefully been groomed into maybe a bottom pairing, 15-17 minutes a game role and if Stanton's still here he'll be able to munch up 20 minutes as well which really only leaves 1 spot.

With that one spot, I'd like to keep Hamhuis on as he's a bit younger and much more defensively sound veteran, although Tanev, Corrado, Sbisa and Stanton are all shutdown defencemen. Ideally, we find a way to trade or sign for a #1D UFA.

Some interesting potential future #1D-men we could sign as a UFA in the next coming off-seasons are Gunnarson, Seabrook, Yandle, Giordano, Kulikov, Shattenkirk, Hedman, Enstrom and Fowler (the latter two in 2018).

For example, we somehow sign Yandle in 2017:

Kassian - ? - Jensen

Bonino - Horvat - Shinkaruk
Sedin - Sedin - Matthias

? - ? - Virtanen

Edler - Tanev

Yandle - Corrado

Stanton - Sbisa

Lack

?

Hamhuis will remain a very serviceable, an in my opinion underrated Dman for at least 4 more seasons. Bieksa Is disposable I think. I know hes a fan favorite in Vancouver, but honestly over the 30 or so Canucks games I caught last season, you could usually count at least 2-3 big mistakes by him. For a period in January he was a turnover machine. I think they could let him walk and develop some of the younger defensemen. Hamhuis though, keep him for sure, that guys a winner and has a very positive team attitude, as seen by his reaction to not being played in the last two olympic games for Canada. He was very humble. I think hes a great overall guy, and a great defenseman.

Inflation doesn't matter. He's not getting the same amount or more when he has a drop off.

Assuming there is a drop off. If his play keeps up, Hammer is our best d-man. And his current contract is a steal. Compared to Edler, lol. I'd give him 2-3 years at 4 - 4.5 mil. If his defence is steal sound.

Archived