The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Eklund) Vancouver and Winnipeg working on trade around Evander Kane

2009cupchamps

I don't necessarily think it is. Look, I've been very vocal on here about any trade proposal involving Kane to the Canucks, because I'm season ticket holder of the Jets, and both a Canucks fan first and a Jets fan second. So I'm probably the most critical on here, because I want what's best for both franchises.

And as a Jets fan who has seen Kane play a lot, he doesn't take a shift off, plays incredibly aggresively, and just started to show chemistry with Scheifele last season, he's also 10 years younger than Burrows, so he's worth a lot more. For a top prospect to give away, the Canucks won't be trading Virtanen as he's Benning's first pick, so that leaves Horvat or Shink (no to Gaunce and Jensen). Between Horvat and Shink, Shink had a stronger camp last year (and even though it's useless, Youngster Tourny) than Horvat had. So between the two, the Canucks would be better off trading Horvat. Not only that, but the Jets would rather have Horvat over Shink anyway, as they need center prospects. The first would probably end up being a mid-late anyway, so and that's pretty much expecte for a recent top 5 draft pick.

Having just travelled to Winnipeg and talking to a few of my Jets fans buddies I was under the assumption that they didn’t really have a desire for more center depth. They wouldn’t turn away from drafting Eichel or McDavid but it’s not an immediate need. You would know better than I would, I don't live there, but Jets currently have Little (26), Scheifele (21), Perreault (26), Petan (19), all down the middle and a future 1 -2 punch of Scheifele and Little would be ideal, All their centers are young and have room to grow..

They also have Ehlers who is very similar in play as Shinkaruk add Petan, and Little, and that top 6 needs some size. This is where I come to the idea of Jensen. He’s a less physical version of Kane, has size, speed and a shot. He may not be the flavor of the week like Horvat, Shinkaruk or Virtanen are since he was drafted in 2011 but he’s also the most NHL ready of any of our prospect and makes the Jets roster this year. If Kane’s potential is 40 goals than Jensen is a 25-30 guy.

As far as the Goalie talk is from what my buddies say. They really like Pavelec and think he is a number one goalie. Apparently he stood on his head most nights the first year the team came to Winnipeg and was voted team MVP that year. Montoya really didn’t push him enough to scare him about losing his starting gig. So I also think Lack has some value. They’d have two 1B goalies and eventually one should come out on top. But both a goalie and a 2015 first overall is too much, so they’d have to choose the value of a 2015 first overall pick 15-20 range or a young NHL ready goalie.

-Lack/2015 1st, Jensen, Burrows, Hansen

In any deal the roster player would have to be us sending back cap as well as a top 6 roster player which only really leaves Burrows. Burrows & Hansen give Jets the immediate roster help, Lack/2015 1st & Jensen give the Jet the future help. They also turn 1 player into 3 top 9 rosters players this year. Something they are currently lacking.

She's a very respected poster at canuckscorner and called the Garrison trade down to him feeling sour about it and refusing to waive the first time to Montreal at least a week before it happened. That's just one example of many, so you can believe what you like, but she's legit.

Ok

You were comparing numbers, I was just saying it's obvious Kane will have better numbers given he had better linemates and more ice time.

What are you arguing about?

When someone says an apple is the same as an orange it's good to have a source or facts to prove there not.

I don't care what players were their line mates or even what ice time they were given. Over the last 3 years Kane has produced 7 more goals and 11 more points per season than Higgins while playing in less games.

Holy crap buddy, the quote I responded to was the equivalent of me saying

Henrik sedin is basically a more expensive version of Kassian, both can't crack 15 goals.

Care to disagree?

Having just travelled to Winnipeg and talking to a few of my Jets fans buddies I was under the assumption that they didn’t really have a desire for more center depth. They wouldn’t turn away from drafting Eichel or McDavid but it’s not an immediate need. You would know better than I would, I don't live there, but Jets currently have Little (26), Scheifele (21), Perreault (26), Petan (19), all down the middle and a future 1 -2 punch of Scheifele and Little would be ideal, All their centers are young and have room to grow..

They also have Ehlers who is very similar in play as Shinkaruk add Petan, and Little, and that top 6 needs some size. This is where I come to the idea of Jensen. He’s a less physical version of Kane, has size, speed and a shot. He may not be the flavor of the week like Horvat, Shinkaruk or Virtanen are since he was drafted in 2011 but he’s also the most NHL ready of any of our prospect and makes the Jets roster this year. If Kane’s potential is 40 goals than Jensen is a 25-30 guy.

As far as the Goalie talk is from what my buddies say. They really like Pavelec and think he is a number one goalie. Apparently he stood on his head most nights the first year the team came to Winnipeg and was voted team MVP that year. Montoya really didn’t push him enough to scare him about losing his starting gig. So I also think Lack has some value. They’d have two 1B goalies and eventually one should come out on top. But both a goalie and a 2015 first overall is too much, so they’d have to choose the value of a 2015 first overall pick 15-20 range or a young NHL ready goalie.

In any deal the roster player would have to be us sending back cap as well as a top 6 roster player which only really leaves Burrows. Burrows & Hansen give Jets the immediate roster help, Lack/2015 1st & Jensen give the Jet the future help. They also turn 1 player into 3 top 9 rosters players this year. Something they are currently lacking.

Anything involving our first this or next year I couldn't get behind. I'd almost rather give up Horvat/McCaan instead only because in lieu of either of them this year and next are great for C/RW and RHD players

And knowing this teams need I could be happy losing one of them, but fi the worst happens and we bottom out I couldn't be ok giving up a top 10 pick or better to a team not 4 provinces over

Anything involving our first this or next year I couldn't get behind. I'd almost rather give up Horvat/McCaan instead only because in lieu of either of them this year and next are great for C/RW and RHD players

And knowing this teams need I could be happy losing one of them, but fi the worst happens and we bottom out I couldn't be ok giving up a top 10 pick or better to a team not 4 provinces over

Yeah I agree, i guess it would really come down to how confident Benning is that we don't finish in the bottom 10. A couple injuries and you never really know. From Bennings point of view if this team does finish in the say bottow 5, Benning would have more worries on his hands than just missing out on that top pick. Perhaps they have a way of making it conditional similar to what the NYI did, they can choose if it's this years 1st round or next years.

Yeah I agree, i guess it would really come down to how confident Benning is that we don't finish in the bottom 10. A couple injuries and you never really know. From Bennings point of view if this team does finish in the say bottow 5, Benning would have more worries on his hands than just missing out on that top pick. Perhaps they have a way of making it conditional similar to what the NYI did, they can choose if it's this years 1st round or next years.

I figure I look at how heavy the bottom 6 and how fast and skilled the top 6 of both Alberta teams will be this year in regards to our division, plus another new coach, new system and any 1 potential long term injury and I see us out of the playoffs and possibly picking top 10. Just not comfortable giving up all that knowing our prospect bin is still not the best.

Kane would be a great pick up no doubt. But people forget we JUST drafted Virtanen who could be just as good if not betetr as his skating is certainly better and he is certainly faster than Kane

Just not worth the 1st round pick imo. Roster players and a prospect + mid round pick sure. But Kane is a $5+ million cancer to the Jets and as such does NOT have the value so many claim he does.

I don't necessarily think it is. Look, I've been very vocal on here about any trade proposal involving Kane to the Canucks, because I'm season ticket holder of the Jets, and both a Canucks fan first and a Jets fan second. So I'm probably the most critical on here, because I want what's best for both franchises.

And as a Jets fan who has seen Kane play a lot, he doesn't take a shift off, plays incredibly aggresively, and just started to show chemistry with Scheifele last season, he's also 10 years younger than Burrows, so he's worth a lot more. For a top prospect to give away, the Canucks won't be trading Virtanen as he's Benning's first pick, so that leaves Horvat or Shink (no to Gaunce and Jensen). Between Horvat and Shink, Shink had a stronger camp last year (and even though it's useless, Youngster Tourny) than Horvat had. So between the two, the Canucks would be better off trading Horvat. Not only that, but the Jets would rather have Horvat over Shink anyway, as they need center prospects. The first would probably end up being a mid-late anyway, so and that's pretty much expecte for a recent top 5 draft pick.

why no Jensen?

In any deal the roster player would have to be us sending back cap as well as a top 6 roster player which only really leaves Burrows. Burrows & Hansen give Jets the immediate roster help, Lack/2015 1st & Jensen give the Jet the future help. They also turn 1 playing into 3 top 9 rosters players this year. Something they are currently lacking.

Not sure about your friends' hockey knowledge (or even mine for that matter), but I am not comfortable at all with what they have down the middle; only Scheifele has me breathing a sigh of relief.

I'm honestly not sure what my issue is with Bryan Little. He plays a fine two way game and consistantly puts up between 50-60 points. Perhaps it's just his size and I keep expecting the other shoe to drop. If Scheifele ends up being a bonafide #1, then Little is a fine #2, and his salary at $4.7M is not bad either.

Petan is a huge question mark, and I'm saying that as someone who is excited to see what he turns into. His size is obviously the biggest question, so I'm just not sure anyone can count on him as "depth" right now, simply because he could just be Ryan Shannon 2.0

Perrault is also a question mark to me. He's a late bloomer and played on a strong team last year. Is he capable of anchoring a 3rd line, putting up 40 points? I'm not so sure. Thankfully the Jets do have an abundance of wingers: Byfuglien, Wheeler, Kane, Ladd, and Frolik; so he will have every opportunity to put up points.

As for the Jets goaltending, there is nothing about Pavelec's play that has me convinced he's even a capable backup at this point. It's no secret that Hasek was a goalie he loved and has tried to model himself after, and his "style" shows just that. Except he can't stop the puck because he has such terrible positional play. However, since I'm also certain that neither Lack/Markstrom are an upgrade either, I don't think they need to be included, seeing as though Hutchinson is going to get his shot, and Eric Comrie is in their system.

Not sure about your friends' hockey knowledge (or even mine for that matter), but I am not comfortable at all with what they have down the middle; only Scheifele has me breathing a sigh of relief.

I'm honestly not sure what my issue is with Bryan Little. He plays a fine two way game and consistantly puts up between 50-60 points. Perhaps it's just his size and I keep expecting the other shoe to drop. If Scheifele ends up being a bonafide #1, then Little is a fine #2, and his salary at $4.7M is not bad either.

Petan is a huge question mark, and I'm saying that as someone who is excited to see what he turns into. His size is obviously the biggest question, so I'm just not sure anyone can count on him as "depth" right now, simply because he could just be Ryan Shannon 2.0

Perrault is also a question mark to me. He's a late bloomer and played on a strong team last year. Is he capable of anchoring a 3rd line, putting up 40 points? I'm not so sure. Thankfully the Jets do have an abundance of wingers: Byfuglien, Wheeler, Kane, Ladd, and Frolik; so he will have every opportunity to put up points.

As for the Jets goaltending, there is nothing about Pavelec's play that has me convinced he's even a capable backup at this point. It's no secret that Hasek was a goalie he loved and has tried to model himself after, and his "style" shows just that. Except he can't stop the puck because he has such terrible positional play. However, since I'm also certain that neither Lack/Markstrom are an upgrade either, I don't think they need to be included, seeing as though Hutchinson is going to get his shot, and Eric Comrie is in their system.

Yeah, you would know better than I would since you live there and jets are not one of my teams I like to watch that often. I do however watch a lot of the caps games and Perreault can definitely fill that 3rd line role. Caps just had too many players (Johansson and Backstrom) that played a similar game, but on a lot of the nights he'd be the one that worked the hardest out of the 3. I wasn't surprised to see him have a good season in Anaheim last year.

Other than that is seems like the canucks aren't the only team with a few questions marks in certain roles.

What are you arguing about?

When someone says an apple is the same as an orange it's good to have a source or facts to prove there not.

I don't care what players were their line mates or even what ice time they were given. Over the last 3 years Kane has produced 7 more goals and 11 more points per season than Higgins while playing in less games.

Holy crap buddy, the quote I responded to was the equivalent of me saying

Henrik sedin is basically a more expensive version of Kassian, both can't crack 15 goals.

Care to disagree?

I was putting your numbers into context. Your an excitable S.O.B aren't ya? Calm the f*** down.

Care to disagree?

They need C's and we have a plethora

Horvat

Mccann

Vey

Bonino

Richardson

Gaunce

More likely a C prospect/Roster player. Also I don't think Jensen has much trade value right now TBH, he's definitely worth more to us than to them.

Out of Higgins, Bieksa, Richardson, matthias, Hamhuis, Edler, Hansen, Tanev, Stanton, Burrows, Sestito, Jensen, Archibald, Corrado, Lain, Zalewski, Lack, Markstrom, Dorsett, Eriksson, Horvat, Shinkaruk, Valk, Mccann, Vey, Bonino, Gaunce, other prospects and/ or draft picks...

...there is a Kane and a Johansen.

D. SEDIN - H. SEDIN - VRBATA

KANE - JOHANSEN - KASSIAN

HIGGINS - VEY - BURROWS

SESTITO - RICHARDSON - DORSETT

I have zero evidence to back this up, nor has he done much to prove this, but I believe that Eddie Lack is an upgrade on Pavelec. As a goalie myself and from watching his play very closely, I feel he will only improve and will be a capable number one goaltender whose size will at times make him very exceptional (a la Kari Lehtonen), but is most likely to be a consistent top 20 NHL goaltender in the future.

My Kane proposal has always been Kassian + Lack + 2nd/3rd round pick.

Kassian addresses the loss of Kane with a poor man's version, while Lack improves their goaltending. The trade makes them at least as good now, with the huge distraction gone, and with two quality young players that they can continue to work with for years. If Kassian continues to improve and Kane continues to stall in development, they could be fairly equal in value long-term.

I'd also consider Horvat for Kane straight up, but not much more (other than a contract to make the cap dollars work).

My Kane proposal has always been Kassian + Lack + 2nd/3rd round pick.

Kassian addresses the loss of Kane with a poor man's version, while Lack improves their goaltending. The trade makes them at least as good now, with the huge distraction gone, and with two quality young players that they can continue to work with for years. If Kassian continues to improve and Kane continues to stall in development, they could be fairly equal in value long-term.

I'd also consider Horvat for Kane straight up, but not much more (other than a contract to make the cap dollars work).

My issue with Kassian is that play making ability and psuedo vision on the ice. Issues not withstanding with him, his size and play making on that wing are unreal and I truly feel between ages 28 and 32 he will have more value to a team than a 25 goal scoring winger or comparable size.

Besides again, we already have Virtanen who is very Kane comparable with better skating.

My issue with Kassian is that play making ability and psuedo vision on the ice. Issues not withstanding with him, his size and play making on that wing are unreal and I truly feel between ages 28 and 32 he will have more value to a team than a 25 goal scoring winger or comparable size.

Besides again, we already have Virtanen who is very Kane comparable with better skating.

exactly.......beyond age and some skill, they aren't really comparables. Kassian is a playmaker, Kane a sniper. They are complimentary players, not comparable ones.

Archived