The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Eklund) Vancouver and Winnipeg working on trade around Evander Kane

2009cupchamps

I don't understand what everyone's obsession with Kane is. The guy is overrated big time. I wouldn't give up anything for him, because I wouldn't even want him on the team. Guys like Kane aren't winners. He won't win in Winnipeg and he wouldn't win in L.A. Either.

Because who wouldn't want a 23 year old potential top line player who's already had a 30 goal season?

I'd give them the '15 first round, Hansen and markstrom. Not alot more maybe a pick or two. Would never move a top prospect for him, think Kesler value. Latr first rd, decent dman and a good roster player. Anything more let the other teams bid him up until one of them has buyers remorse, he's a great player but I'd stay away from dealing Bo or hunter

2014-15 season line up (if we get Evander Kane)

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata (really excited for this)

Kane-Bonino-Kassian (Really would love to see this)

Higgins/shinkaruk -Vey/Bo - Hansen (Vey and think played a lot together already have great chemistry)

Dorsett-Matthias-sestito

Would love these lines could mix up bottom 6 with others I didn't mention but top six looks amazing :)

That hockey widow rumour at least feels right. This is starting to feel like a Gillis situation, that the Jets are sitting on this too long waiting for the perfect deal to be offered up.

I think Benning should hold tight with whatever he did offer, if this blows up in Winnipeg's face some team might luck out. Overall I get the sense that he won't trade this year's, or probably any year's, 1st round pick. He's said repeatedly that scouting is where his heart is so I think those high picks will a priority every season.

Not wanting to legitimize Eklund but....

Heard tonight that the Jets have approached several teams about moving Kane. He has all but demanded a trade, whether he will publically say so I don't know. Last word he was getting pretty pissed and told some guys that if the media asked again about him wanting out of Winnipeg he was going to tell the truth as he was tired of the promises by the Jets that they would move him, for the right deal. He isn't threatening to sit at home or any such other action. He just wants out. His agent has told him the Jets have gone back to at least 7 teams who expressed serious interest in him and the Canucks are one of the teams.

Now I don't know how this translates for the Canucks. I know Benning did pitch an offer that included Lack/Markstrom, a top prospect, a roster player and a 2016 1st. I heard they were pitching Burrows because of cap concerns but I think it was a Garrison situation in that they never discussed it with Alex first. But I don't know if they still have interest at this point. There seems to still be interest but they are not as actively pursuing it as they were before the draft. I think they are stoked by their draft picks and don't want to let any of then go.

The only thing I know for sure is Winnipeg wants the 2015 1st. Don't know who else they have asked for. Sounds like they are talking but that they are too far apart over Kane's value. Interesting though that it has come up again and this info comes second hand from the Kane camp. So take it for what it's worth.......

I would love to have Kane in Vancouver but there is no way the Canucks could or should accept the 2015 1st being involved in any trade before the season starts. With the way things went last year, nobody really knows where they will finish this season and I wouldn't be ready to gamble on that 1st.

The trade needs to be the right situation and with the right pieces. I would suggest any combination of these assets that works:

- 2016 1st

- 2015 2nd-7th

- Brendan Gaunce

- Jannik Hansen

- Nicklas Jensen

- Chris Higgins

- Ryan Stanton

- Frank Corrado

The trade needs to be the right situation and with the right pieces. I would suggest any combination of these assets that works:

- 2016 1st

- 2015 2nd-7th

- Brendan Gaunce

- Jannik Hansen

- Nicklas Jensen

- Chris Higgins

- Ryan Stanton

- Frank Corrado

- Alex Burrows

- Shawn Mattias

- Brad Richardson

- Bo Horvat

- Jacob Markstrom

- Eddie Lack

Richardson, Dorsett and Higgins only penalty kill players in that lineup

Do we want the Sedins on the pk again? Kane? Losing both Burrows and Hansen does more damage then good when consider special teams

Matthias can PK. Kane was put on the PK in WPG, Bonino and vey have done it as well,, Nothing about PK but it doesn't take a lot to be an effective Penalty Killer. Remember Ryan Johnson, he was a prime example of a great PK player. Positional play, speed, and willingness to block shots, thats about it. It's not a born giving talent, it's something that can easily be taught. It's usually why the 3rd and 4th liners are put out there, Remove Sestito and bring in Archie.

I would love to have Kane in Vancouver but there is no way the Canucks could or should accept the 2015 1st being involved in any trade before the season starts. With the way things went last year, nobody really knows where they will finish this season and I wouldn't be ready to gamble on that 1st.

- 2016 1st

- 2015 2nd-7th

- Brendan Gaunce

- Jannik Hansen

- Nicklas Jensen

- Chris Higgins

- Ryan Stanton

- Frank Corrado

You gotta give up quality to get quality

Hmmm...a Canadian team moving next year's 1st round pick in a strong draft for a one-time 30-goal scoring former 4th overall pick. This despite just missing the playoffs, but most feel the team has improved and will finish higher.

...I think I've heard this one before.

Even though I think we'll be a playoff team, I'd loathe to trade the 2015 1st. Even to land a player like Kane.

as I've said before, he has a 30 goal season, but he also had 17 in 48, which equates to 29 in 82, and 19 in 63 which equates to 24 in 82. He's pretty much a can't miss 25 goal man at 23 years old. He will be a 30, probably 40 goal man by the peak of his career.

Hmmm...a Canadian team moving next year's 1st round pick in a strong draft for a one-time 30-goal scoring former 4th overall pick. This despite just missing the playoffs, but most feel the team has improved and will finish higher.

...I think I've heard this one before.

Even though I think we'll be a playoff team, I'd loathe to trade the 2015 1st. Even to land a player like Kane.

Agreed.

And not sure who hockey widow is, but I can't buy a word of it.

"I know Benning did pitch an offer that included Lack/Markstrom, a top prospect, a roster player and a 2016 1st. I heard they were pitching Burrows..."

Imo that proposal is nuts, and if Winnipeg fielded it and did not jump at it, they're nuts as well.

That is a bloody king's ransom.

I'd be shocked and disappointed if Benning offered that, but I'm not buying that he'd put all that on the table for Kane.

Sounds like another pretender source tbh.

Matthias can PK. Kane was put on the PK in WPG, Bonino and vey have done it as well,, Nothing about PK but it doesn't take a lot to be an effective Penalty Killer. Remember Ryan Johnson, he was a prime example of a great PK player. Positional play, speed, and willingness to block shots, thats about it. It's not a born giving talent, it's something that can easily be taught. It's usually why the 3rd and 4th liners are put out there, Remove Sestito and bring in Archie.

Johnson always had to block shots because his speed and positioning were horrible. One of those things where people misinterpret quality and dedication for desperation.

Agreed.

And not sure who hockey widow is, but I can't buy a word of it.

"I know Benning did pitch an offer that included Lack/Markstrom, a top prospect, a roster player and a 2016 1st. I heard they were pitching Burrows..."

Imo that proposal is nuts, and if Winnipeg fielded it and did not jump at it, they're nuts as well.

That is a bloody king's ransom.

I'd be shocked and disappointed if Benning offered that, but I'm not buying that he'd put all that on the table for Kane.

Sounds like another pretender source tbh.

For arguments sake, let's say that this "source" is legitimate, which I don't believe is for a second. I disagree with the proposal that "Winnipeg would have been nuts for not jumping at that offer." Mainly because the inclusion of Lack/Markstrom does not make the proposal stronger. They already have a backup goaltender who they are ready to give a shot to, and played well last year in the AHL. Will he work, who knows; but he's earned a spot for the time being, which is why Lack/Markstrom would not be players the Jets would want included in a proposal.

For arguments sake, let's say that this "source" is legitimate, which I don't believe is for a second. I disagree with the proposal that "Winnipeg would have been nuts for not jumping at that offer." Mainly because the inclusion of Lack/Markstrom does not make the proposal stronger. They already have a backup goaltender who they are ready to give a shot to, and played well last year in the AHL. Will he work, who knows; but he's earned a spot for the time being, which is why Lack/Markstrom would not be players the Jets would want included in a proposal.

Let's take that statement as legitimate (which I don't necessarily agree with) - in any event, take the goaltender out of that deal - and the rumour still remains a top prospect, roster player and a 1st. Horvat (who is the subject of most of the 'top prospect' rumours - although not necessarily buying that either), Burrows and a 1st is still nuts.

Let's take that statement as legitimate (which I don't necessarily agree with) - in any event, take the goaltender out of that deal - and the rumour still remains a top prospect, roster player and a 1st. Horvat (who is the subject of most of the 'top prospect' rumours - although not necessarily buying that either), Burrows and a 1st is still nuts.

I don't necessarily think it is. Look, I've been very vocal on here about any trade proposal involving Kane to the Canucks, because I'm season ticket holder of the Jets, and both a Canucks fan first and a Jets fan second. So I'm probably the most critical on here, because I want what's best for both franchises.

And as a Jets fan who has seen Kane play a lot, he doesn't take a shift off, plays incredibly aggresively, and just started to show chemistry with Scheifele last season, he's also 10 years younger than Burrows, so he's worth a lot more. For a top prospect to give away, the Canucks won't be trading Virtanen as he's Benning's first pick, so that leaves Horvat or Shink (no to Gaunce and Jensen). Between Horvat and Shink, Shink had a stronger camp last year (and even though it's useless, Youngster Tourny) than Horvat had. So between the two, the Canucks would be better off trading Horvat. Not only that, but the Jets would rather have Horvat over Shink anyway, as they need center prospects. The first would probably end up being a mid-late anyway, so and that's pretty much expecte for a recent top 5 draft pick.

She's a very respected poster at canuckscorner and called the Garrison trade down to him feeling sour about it and refusing to waive the first time to Montreal at least a week before it happened. That's just one example of many, so you can believe what you like, but she's legit.

'top prospect' is semi-vague though, and is most likely where they couldn't meet. Benning might have been offering Gaunce and they wanted Horvat or Virtanen.

Like I said the part I don't believe the most is offering the 2016 1st, but it's far enough away that there could be several plans of how to get a new 1st round pick in a separate deal.

Archived