The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Eklund) Vancouver and Winnipeg working on trade around Evander Kane

2009cupchamps

I would give this as the rationale:

Eklund is the National Enquirer of Hockey, everyone know it, and at this point everyone should accept it.

His "Rumors" while mostly false, are a great jumping off point for speculative discussion. And are entertaining in their own right.

Appreciate him for what he is, or stay away from any thread associated with him.

What I don't understand is that people react like someone kicked their dog every time an Eklund rumor is mentioned.

Yes, we get it. He makes things up. We don't care, this is entertainment, not life or death issues.

I agree with this post entirely. I would also like to point out that Eklund has broken trades and FA signings in the past before. It is widely accepted that he has legitimate sources in the Flyers organization. He is most reliable when it comes to Flyers related news. So he is a legitimate source but just not a reliable one.

As far as people including Lack/Markstrom into their trades. I won't completely rule them out of a trade but the Jets have their own young goalie in Hutchinson who they plan on using in tandem with Pavelec this year. I personally would not include Lack into a trade as I doubt the Jets will value him very highly anyway. He did a decent job as a rookie but goalies are not valued very highly unless they are proven starter material. I think Lack is a promising goalie but he hasn't shown that yet.

Boy I would start to really get tempted if we could do a Shinkaruk/Lack/Hansen and a 2015 2nd round for Kane and something minor.

That gets closer to something WInnipeg would have to seriously consider.

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Kane-Bonino-Kassian

Higgins-Vey-Burrows

Richardson-Matthias-Dorsett

... that is a solid and deep forward core. You probably actually actually have to move out Richardson in this scenario somewhere to give more cap flexibility (we would only have half a million in cap space with this lineup).

If I were trading with WPG I would be after Ladd first and foremost.

- He is old enough to be a true leader in the lockerroom

- But he is young enough to fill that leadership gap after Dank/Hank Retire

- Essentially he'd be a top 6 winger that played as a transitioning leader between two eras; sedin-decline/post-sedin

- Plus he hates Kesler so +++

I think the guy, although he loves being captain, would relish the chance to come home for the next 2+ years.

Kane is great and all, but sometimes the price of a product sours its value. Ladd's captain material leadership trumps Kane's 30 goal season.

Agreed. Love Ladd. Hometown boy + 2 championships to boot with 2 different franchises if I may add.

But he's one of the few goods in so many wrongs in WPG right now - I don't think they'd part with their leader who's holding things together for them to the best of his abilities unless Ladd asked to be moved - especially if the rumours about Kane's desire to leave are true.

Been following the Canucks for a while now. I highly doubt he gets traded. Lack has been has been a Canuck for a while now. And most importantly he wants to be here. So if jb trades Eddie he would be criticised for life for trading him. But jb will do whatever's best for the team and will lead is to being a Stanley cup contender

Been following for how long exactly? Did you see what happened to his predecessors?

:lol: I'm half just yanking your chains and half-serious. I think Lack could easily be traded.

Boy I would start to really get tempted if we could do a Shinkaruk/Lack/Hansen and a 2015 2nd round for Kane and something minor.

That gets closer to something WInnipeg would have to seriously consider.

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Kane-Bonino-Kassian

Higgins-Vey-Burrows

Richardson-Matthias-Dorsett

... that is a solid and deep forward core. You probably actually actually have to move out Richardson in this scenario somewhere to give more cap flexibility (we would only have half a million in cap space with this lineup).

Isn't that what we were "apparently" offering Florida for first pick in the draft. Shinkaruk a first and Markstrom. So whats worth more Kane or Ekblad

Isn't that what we were "apparently" offering Florida for first pick in the draft. Shinkaruk a first and Markstrom. So whats worth more Kane or Ekblad

That is actually a REALLY tough question I think. I don't recall that exact package (why Markstrom?)

I recall a Hansen/Shinkaruk/our 1st for Florida's pick rumour... and that Florida turned that down.

A lot of it is situational as it is a hockey trade, what each team has as needs. Personally I think Ekblad is more valuable than Kane if I were starting out a franchise from scratch. Elite defenders are a lot more scarce than elite wingers.

In this scenario though, we could use a top 6 forward who is younger but established and more ready to take over from the Sedins as a top line player in a couple years. Winnipeg needs to fill a bunch of holes and do SOMETHING to stop their fans from revolting. Hansen's wife is from there so he could probably be a great face for someone happy to be there (I have twins slightly older than his so I know his wife would be happy to be around family for support/help). Winnipeg fans know him from his time with the Moose.

I would certainly not trade Kassian in a Kane acquisition. Consistency is the only down on the kid. He's got it all and when he dominates, he DOMINATES.

Kassian was like Bertuzzi wearing #9 on numerous occasions, more and more often, and for longer periods of time. He should reall establish himself much more often this season and next year, Kassian should be ripe for an allstar career.

Enter Kane. All of a sudden, a scorer on Kassian's line and we now know how Kassian can pass. He's got some serious skills and we've all see it now.

Whoever should center that line could benefit greatly whether it is Bonino, Matthias, Vey, Horvat, Virtanen or McCann.

I really like Kassian, and have high hopes for him, but for the same reason he's pretty much the only piece of significant value that we can offer. Winnipeg will want a guy who can contribute right away, not ANOTHER prospect who won't make the team for a few years. We don't have many of those who don't already have a NTC.

...I guess the other guy could be Bonino...but I don't see JB moving him after trying so hard to add him in the first place.

I agree with you. However, all teams are constantly talking to one another about players. So he could in fact be right that the said teams are talking, but we all know how rare it is for a deal to close.

Oh, I agree with that.

I have no way of knowing what is or isn't being discussed, and how much of that Eklund is privy to.

I would not move Horvat, virtanen, McCann, gaunce, shinkarurk or Kassian

Jensen is streaky so is Kane both seem to struggle getting their head into the game

I'm not sure Jensen's 19 NHL games is large enough a sample size to label him streaky or know where his head is at.

Why wouldn't you include Gaunce (or perhaps another young center) in a trade? We are pretty loaded with young centers with Vey, Horvat and McCann.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if the Jets trade Kane to the Canucks, they will ask for the moon in return. The Canucks, like them, are at best a bubble playoff team. Trading Kane to them without getting a player in return who fills the void he leaves only decreases their chances of making the playoffs.

The best move for the Jets is a straight up player for player trade, mainly out East. My first thought has always been Nazem Kadri. Like Kane, there have been reports of both of them having locker room issues. Whether true or not, they are there. If the Jets could get Kadri in a trade for Kane, they would instantly solve their problem down the middle.

Otherwise, another option out East could be a trade with Philly. If the Flyers have interest in him, they could afford to give up either Brayden Schenn or Sean Couturier, as they are deep down the middle.

As a Jets fan, I'd only be happy with losing Kane if it meant getting a player in return who could instantly help the team while not making any other teams in the West better. They aren't looking to miss the playoffs again. Between Toronto and Philly, I'd rather a trade with Philly. I would also be thrilled if the Jets could trade for Skinner, but no way the Hurricanes entertain that idea unless the Jets throw something else their way.

I could see an Edler for Bogo swap (both kind of underperform and have injury troubles) and Kane for Markstrom/Hansen.

Edler, Markstrom & Hansen for Bogosian and Kane.

Our top six would be solidified and we'd have deep bottom 6 depth. Also allows for some youth.

So an underperforming defenseman who refused to waive his NTC with a questionable back, an RFA AHL goaltender, and a 3rd liner? How could the Jets go wrong with that return?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if the Jets trade Kane to the Canucks, they will ask for the moon in return. The Canucks, like them, are at best a bubble playoff team. Trading Kane to them without getting a player in return who fills the void he leaves only decreases their chances of making the playoffs.

The best move for the Jets is a straight up player for player trade, mainly out East. My first thought has always been Nazem Kadri. Like Kane, there have been reports of both of them having locker room issues. Whether true or not, they are there. If the Jets could get Kadri in a trade for Kane, they would instantly solve their problem down the middle.

Otherwise, another option out East could be a trade with Philly. If the Flyers have interest in him, they could afford to give up either Brayden Schenn or Sean Couturier, as they are deep down the middle.

As a Jets fan, I'd only be happy with losing Kane if it meant getting a player in return who could instantly help the team while not making any other teams in the West better. They aren't looking to miss the playoffs again. Between Toronto and Philly, I'd rather a trade with Philly. I would also be thrilled if the Jets could trade for Skinner, but no way the Hurricanes entertain that idea unless the Jets throw something else their way.

Why exactly trade for a center though? Little and Scheifele is decent down the middle. Perreault I think is going to be the most underrated acquisition. I think the Jets center depth is actually quite competent. Even Slater is one of my favorite bottom 6 players. So why fix something that doesn't seem broken. Of course I understand that you are just throwing around possibilities and don't really want to see a Kane trade go down in the first place.

It would certainly be nice... one more true top 6 in our lineup.

Winnipeg is one of the few teams that can actually take quantity over quality and make themselves better. They have a tough time signing UFAs so getting some guys who are under contract for a couple years is a big deal for them.

I am always leery of the Kane rumours though, it just seems to obvious with him being from Vancouver. Certainly other teams would give more for him than us, and it is not like he has a NTC and can insist on going anywhere. I suspect he is in "anywhere but Winnipeg" mode now.

A smaller deal like Bogosian or Buff for Hansen/Richardson/pick could be more likely.

Under the circumstances; would it not cost more to acquire Bogo or Byfuglien than Kane?

Def more than a package of 3rd and 4th liners (Hansen and Richardson), one of whom is a rental. Hansen, in fairness, could be the veteran body in a deal? Bogosian is a 6'3'' defenseman, already established in the top 4 with superior mobility and a heavy shot signed through his prime. That's going to cost you at least Gaunce or Shinkaruk plus Hansen and a pick.

Byfuglien is even bigger, even better, but brings baggage which makes it harder to evaluate cost.

Archived