The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Eklund) Vancouver and Winnipeg working on trade around Evander Kane

2009cupchamps

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if the Jets trade Kane to the Canucks, they will ask for the moon in return. The Canucks, like them, are at best a bubble playoff team. Trading Kane to them without getting a player in return who fills the void he leaves only decreases their chances of making the playoffs.

The best move for the Jets is a straight up player for player trade, mainly out East. My first thought has always been Nazem Kadri. Like Kane, there have been reports of both of them having locker room issues. Whether true or not, they are there. If the Jets could get Kadri in a trade for Kane, they would instantly solve their problem down the middle.

Otherwise, another option out East could be a trade with Philly. If the Flyers have interest in him, they could afford to give up either Brayden Schenn or Sean Couturier, as they are deep down the middle.

As a Jets fan, I'd only be happy with losing Kane if it meant getting a player in return who could instantly help the team while not making any other teams in the West better. They aren't looking to miss the playoffs again. Between Toronto and Philly, I'd rather a trade with Philly. I would also be thrilled if the Jets could trade for Skinner, but no way the Hurricanes entertain that idea unless the Jets throw something else their way.

Kanes value >> than Kadri's value IMO.

You have to consider the speed, size and physical attributes Kane offers. I do not see that as fair value.

Also team need. What does TO need another sniper for? I mean, it never hurts. But its they who are exceptionally weak down the middle and are desperate for a centre. So yeah, asterisks and all, I can't see them trading their best young centre. No matter what BS Leaf's nation and the TO press concoct.

I really have no idea why rumours constantly circulate out of Carolina regarding Skinner either. What are they going to do without him?

So an underperforming defenseman who refused to waive his NTC with a questionable back, an RFA AHL goaltender, and a 3rd liner? How could the Jets go wrong with that return?

That trade for EITHER Bogo or Kane is "head in the clouds" dumb. But saying BOTH puts it out of the stratosphere.

No way i'd give up Horvat or Virtanen for Kane, and I'd really hesitate for McCann.

When I look at what Dallas traded for Tyler Seguin, who has similar stats (slighty better) than Kane and was causing similar problems with his attitude. He's also a year younger.

So no way I'd trade the farm for him. Valuewise it should be very similar and Boston got Erikson, Smith (who was an unknown at the time and turned out great), Joe Morrow, Matt Fraser. And Boston gave perverly in the deal as well.

Erikson was the main piece coming back and our only comparable would be Vrbata, so thats not really an option.

My best offer would probably be based on this:

Hansen, Higgins or Burrows+

Shinkaruk, Jensen or 1st 2016+

Cassels, Cederholm, Subban or Hutton+

3rd to 6th rounder depending on the prospect above.

Not comparable IMO.

Seguin played on what many considered the best line in hockey; Marchand / Bergeron / Seguin. Where he displayed boat loads of speed and two way play. Two way play, you know, something Kane is not all that familiar with?

Seguin value >>> Kane's value.

I could see an Edler for Bogo swap (both kind of underperform and have injury troubles) and Kane for Markstrom/Hansen.

Edler, Markstrom & Hansen for Bogosian and Kane.

Our top six would be solidified and we'd have deep bottom 6 depth. Also allows for some youth.

I feel like Edler is a more certain thing the Bogosian. Bogosian to me could end up as a career #4 or #5 d-man, wheras Edler is already a #3 or #4. Both have the potential to get to a top pairing level, but Edler is more certain IMO.

Seguin played on what many considered the best line in hockey; Marchand / Bergeron / Seguin. Where he displayed boat loads of speed and two way play. Two way play, you know, something Kane is not all that familiar with?

Seguin value >>> Kane's value.

They traded Tyler because he lacked the two-way commitment to defense and competitiveness that the Bruins wanted, which they got in Eriksson. If he was a two-way dynamo they would've loved to keep him, but clearly he didn't demonstrate those traits.

I like the comparison of buying low for a young offensive player though. While it would be great to keep a 1B in Lack and another potential young sniper in Jensen around, I would probably do a trade with another roster player included since you don't get that kind of scoring ability and physicality everyday. He and Kass would also look good together, with Kass setting him up and him finishing. Add another gritty center like Horvat and that would be a tough scoring line to play against.

I could see an Edler for Bogo swap (both kind of underperform and have injury troubles) and Kane for Markstrom/Hansen.

Edler, Markstrom & Hansen for Bogosian and Kane.

Our top six would be solidified and we'd have deep bottom 6 depth. Also allows for some youth.

What a bout Kane for Shincky Tanev a 1st and Hansen

In this scenario though, we could use a top 6 forward who is younger but established and more ready to take over from the Sedins as a top line player in a couple years. Winnipeg needs to fill a bunch of holes and do SOMETHING to stop their fans from revolting. Hansen's wife is from there so he could probably be a great face for someone happy to be there (I have twins slightly older than his so I know his wife would be happy to be around family for support/help). Winnipeg fans know him from his time with the Moose.

I never understood the logic that because someone spent a couple years in Winnipeg or they grew up in Winnipeg that they would automatically want to move back. Seems that a few Winnipeg winters in your life would give you good reason to start kicking and screaming if someone tried to trade you back. Hell just look at ...Evander Kane.

A lot of people have given Evander crap about how he has behaved but he has behaved MUCH better than Kesler, both as a player and as a decent human being. He probably doesn't want to be in Winnipeg, which seems perfectly reasonable to me, but has not demanded a trade and certainly hasn't demanded a trade to only one team and as far as we know doesn't have his agent screaming at the GM every day to trade his player to only one team. Even if all the questionable overblown rumours about Kane are true, he is a upgrade in the d-bag department over Kesler. Don't think he has been sleeping with any teammates wives either.

This is a young player that is a local kid and we can only hope Virtanen can improve to be his quality. As far as a "prospect", he is still young enough to qualify and is a better prospect than any currently on our club save maybe a couple. I would hesitate to trade Horvat but past that I would be open to discussion.

I never understood the logic that because someone spent a couple years in Winnipeg or they grew up in Winnipeg that they would automatically want to move back. Seems that a few Winnipeg winters in your life would give you good reason to start kicking and screaming if someone tried to trade you back. Hell just look at ...Evander Kane.

Hansen spends his summers there.

We can offer Shinkaruk because Kane would be playing the same position anyway, but Horvat should probably be retained as well as our 1st and Virtanen. Practically everyone else is on the table. But likely Winnipeg's after one of those three options. Non-starter then. Not a good way to start a rebuild by selling off top prospects and picks.

They got Ehlers and Petan if anything they want size and some one who's closest to making the jump to NHL.

Jensen, Burrows, Lack, Hansen makes a ton of sense for the jets.

They get a potential starter, a goal scorer with some size to replace some of the offence missed as well has a second and a third liner to improve the roster today.

Those players currently make the Jets a better team this year and some potential to fill some holes for the future. I wouldn't give more than that without another player coming back our way. At this point if he is truly unhappy and hurting the locker room, the longer Jets hold onto to Kane more his value will drop. Imagine the return they could have got if they could have traded him the summer of 2012.

Boy I would start to really get tempted if we could do a Shinkaruk/Lack/Hansen and a 2015 2nd round for Kane and something minor.

That gets closer to something WInnipeg would have to seriously consider.

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Kane-Bonino-Kassian

Higgins-Vey-Burrows

Richardson-Matthias-Dorsett

... that is a solid and deep forward core. You probably actually actually have to move out Richardson in this scenario somewhere to give more cap flexibility (we would only have half a million in cap space with this lineup).

You'd need to offer something they actually need though. Lack yes. but Ehlers, Petan make Jets want a different option other than Shinkaruk, Hansen possibly has some value to them but he becomes more of add in.

Obviously they are going to ask for one of our top 4 (Kassian, Shinkaruk, Horvat, Virtanen) but they should all be off the table. We don't need to make the trade, Jets are in the position we were with Kesler and Sens were with Spezza. They need to move him or risk hurting the dressing room mentality and when other teams know Jets back are up against the door his the value drops. Were not desperate for Kane so we hold all the power. If they want something were not willing to part with then we can walk.

Trade for Kane...offer sheet Johansen? Too perfect of a scenario?

I think we'd have to trade for Johansen as well. Jarmo Kekalainen is a guy who's looking out for the league. He was on the radio talking about how they don't want to overpay on a players value as well as not hinder other teams as next year other GM's and agents will use this deal as a benchmark for players in similar situations.

I'd give them

1st (2015), MacCann, Higgins, Matthias (if need be up Matthias to Bonino)

That's basically two 1st, a second/third liner and a center depth to replace some of what Johansen provided.

Thats more than they'd get in the offer sheet (1st round, 2nd round & 3rd round)

but just think a future top 6 of:

Kane Johansen Kassian

Virtanen Horvar Shinkaruk

I think we'd have to trade for Johansen as well. Jarmo Kekalainen is a guy who's looking out for the league. He was on the radio talking about how they don't want to overpay on a players value as well as not hinder other teams as next year other GM's and agents will use this deal as a benchmark for players in similar situations.

I'd give them

1st (2015), MacCann, Higgins, Matthias (if need be up Matthias to Bonino)

That's basically two 1st, a second/third liner and a center depth to replace some of what Johansen provided.

Thats more than they'd get in the offer sheet (1st round, 2nd round & 3rd round)

but just think a future top 6 of:

Kane Johansen Kassian

Virtanen Horvar Shinkaruk

Is much as i like the thought of this we would need to free up Approx. 12 million in cap room……. I'm pretty sure thats going to be hard to do

Is much as i like the thought of this we would need to free up Approx. 12 million in cap room. I'm pretty sure thats going to be hard to do

We have just over $2 million right now. We'd likely have to give up Burrows in one of those packages. Burrows and those other pieces would move us up to $10.9 million. So moving a guy like Hansen in a seperate trade (or one of these two) should give us enough room. It'll be tough and would gut our depth a little, but for right now and our future with the cap going up it would be worth it.

I am not the OP, but I really wish the mods would start giving out warnings to the doofus posters who spam up every Eklund thread with their useless comments about how he should be banned.

People go so far as to put Eklund in the title to allow folks to skip by the thread if they so wish.

It is getting tiresome when the subject has been decided several times by the admin and he is a permitted source.

Its because the controversy surrounding him, from a hobo hockey fan to an NHL analyst, Eklund brings the passion out of all of us, because we all know he is full of bologna, but some want to believe, like Scully and Mulder, and some don't want to, like Cheech and Chong.

Hansen spends his summers there.

I hear the Yukon is a great place to go in the summer too.

Did you know that last winter it was so cold in Winnipeg that the frost level extended more than seven feet into the ground where they bury the pipes so they won't freeze. Don't think that happened in the summer.

Archived