The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Young Stars GDT [Jets v. Canucks 2pm PST - Streamed]

Brick Tamland

What's really annoying is how certain people here expect all of Vancouver's prospects to develop linearly. Either they get better every single freaking game they play, or they're complete busts.

Life doesn't work that way. Prospects, like regular people, will struggle for periods of time. Expecting them to become superstars without having to battle any adversity is unrealistic. Have a little bit of patience before writing all of them off because of a stretch of mediocre games.

love the resiliency that being shown by our prospects. That never give up attitude is awesome too see.

I thought the Canucks actually deserved to win. There were some big shifts in momentum during the game but, once again, the Canucks were very strong in the last 10 minutes and in overtime. With good goaltending the Canucks win this game. (Not saying Whistle gave up any "bad" goals, but it would have been nice if he could have come up with one or two more good saves.)

Valk continues to be the most impressive forward. I thought that even before he scored. Obviously Shinkaruk is also an exciting opportunistic player. Jensen was better today and so was Gaunce. Horvat continues to be just "okay".

The D is shaky. Corrado is very shaky, even though he did get an assist on the tying goal. He played with Subban, who showed impressive offensive instincts, but is not completely reliable on D.

Cederholm and Humphries played better than a lot of people expected, but they are still a bit overmatched when playing against the other team's top forwards, as happened a lot today. (But they are good prospects.) And I am not sure the Canucks even had a third pairing today.

What's really annoying is how certain people here expect all of Vancouver's prospects to develop linearly. Either they get better every single freaking game they play, or they're complete busts.

Life doesn't work that way. Prospects, like regular people, will struggle for periods of time. Expecting them to become superstars without having to battle any adversity is unrealistic. Have a little bit of patience before writing all of them off because of a stretch of mediocre games.

I love everything about you except for your Medicine Hat Tigers question at the summer summit ;)

You're bang on here.

Fair enough...but where is our upside...all I see is the other teams drafts kicking a**.

Hey I want bo to succeed as much as the next canuck fan but I calm it how I see it. He has not played well at all. Not right now. Not in the memorial cup not in the ohl playoffs and not in the tail end of the world jrs.

Yes supposed to be this big game two way forward who when he isn't scoring he's stopping the oppositions best for scoring.

I didn't watch the game today but yesterday I seen him lose 2 key facoffs that resulted in goals. He hasn't generated much offensively and he's not know to be a spark energy type guy.

To say the least I'm very unimpressed with his play on these bigger stages (wjc/memorial cup/ young stars). I dont know how some of you have him pencilled in to anchor the third line this year when he can't anchor the top line against a bunch of kids.

We shouldn't draft two-way forwards with high picks IMO, you want players who can be superstars and gamebreakers offensively. I don't think Horvat is quite that player, although I'm not saying it was a bad pick I would rather have had Nichushkin, Morrissey, Wennberg, Burakovsky. These guys have 1st line potential and can be gamebreakers, Horvat was a safe pick and I can see why we took him since our prospect pool was shallow.

Bro Jensen quarter backed a lot of the plays... He was the best skater on the ice, forced a lot of turnovers, Played great defence and Was the reason Shinkaruk was able to get two goals... What else do you want from the guy?

He had a good game, a good pass to Shinkaruk but last game he wasn't as explosive as I wanted him to be. He's the oldest and should have been flying around IMO, he's a big fast winger I know he can do better.

Bo Horvat is one hell of a prospect. A shoe in 2nd line centre. However, we really could have used a 80 point winger, in other words, Nichushkin. I'm stoked to have Horvat, and will support the guy. BUT, I personally prefer Nichushkin.

You'd rather have a 1 dimensonal winger than a 2-way shutdown center?

Every championship team wins when it counts with 2-way centers.

Sure, but his motivations are a little more acute than Jensen's....he needs to earn a contract somewhere for this season.

I dont believe that..if you are playing for a contract or a position...you play your ass off constantly...I dont think age powers into this...without 3 of our top prospects it showed....nuff said...1 more game and on to the main camp to separate the men from the boys.

Jensen was our best player tonight. He's the only one who looked NHL-ready (Horvat played well but his skating still looks a bit suspect - we'll have to see if it holds him back or not at main camp) and I was really impressed with his defensive play in particular. Spending a year in Utica under Green has turned him into a solid 2-way player. I have faith that Green will develop Gaunce, Shinkaruk and Fox the right way into pros.

Fair enough...but where is our upside...all I see is the other teams drafts kicking a**.

Really that's all you see?

This game we won the first period we kicked ass in the second period until the half way point, then they scored 3 goals on 3 shots to end the period.

Bad goal tending and defensive plays are what I see.

Then we dominated the last half of the 3rd period.

Then we dominated overtime chances until Shinkaruk got hooked (no penalty called) when wide open in front of the net, the play went the other way and Humphries couldn't handle Petan.

That is how it went, why not see reality?

Archived