The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Young Stars GDT [Jets v. Canucks 2pm PST - Streamed]

Brick Tamland

I agree with all you say except corrado...he is lost out there.

To be fair I didn't watch the game live, I watched it delayed so fastforwarded alot of it....and just saw his +2....so assumed a bit...can't have been that bad if he was a plus 2...

Not to mention he is playing with a new group, unstructured team that may not be in the right spots for outlet passes etc...I'd really wait to main camp to see what he and Jensen look like this year....let them play with the men and vs the men they have shown they can play against before evaluating them

The D is shaky. Corrado is very shaky, even though he did get an assist on the tying goal. He played with Subban, who showed impressive offensive instincts, but is not completely reliable on D.

Cederholm and Humphries played better than a lot of people expected, but they are still a bit overmatched when playing against the other team's top forwards, as happened a lot today. (But they are good prospects.) And I am not sure the Canucks even had a third pairing today.

I didn't get to watch the whole game because I had work I needed to get done. But from what I saw, our D did look shaky. It wasn't like Winnipeg's D was great, but we don't have a lot of depth in the prospects on the blueline.

Yes, I think all this talk about Horvat and the team itself (Linden, Smyl) etc has maybe given Bo a bit too much comfort, he isn't playing like he has something to earn and prove, when indeed he does

Shinkaruk seems to get this, as does Subban and perhaps its simply because they have had to 'prove people wrong' all their lives because of their size, so its in their nature, whereas Bo has been 'assumed' to be good because of his size...

It worries me slightly that we really aren't seeing Bo really try and show that he IS a 9th overall pick who's played on team canada and is going to the WJC again.

I look at how Petan influenced that game throughout (not just the goals) but how he took it upon himself to be a difference maker and I see elite talent. While Bo isn't that type of player, he can still dominate the game in his own manner but he didn't seem to be making that type of effort...

Lets hope he wakes up a bit here, still early but he needs to understand there is never going to be spot gifted to him...

You're reaching a bit here.

Horvat knows full well that he has to earn his spot. Benning, Desjardins, Linden have all said that IF a young player outplays and performs well enough to force their hand to let them on the roster come October than yeah they will make room for them. \

Bo Simply understands that its either fight his way for a pro roster spot or go back to London. I dont think its the fact he is feeling comfortable but rather he has just been rusty this past two games. People putting WAY too many high hopes on a prospect tournament. TBH all our prospects have shown that they have been trying to get back to game speed.

Points in junior does not equate to similar success to the pros.

Lots of players have done very well in junior to have little success in the NHL or AHL.

Valk is good, against young players and his peers. But lets see if he is good enough against fully grown men, who are fully established pros. The later has yet to be proven which I hope he is given a shot at main camp.

Does he become a one hit wonder? That is up to him to decide that..not anyone else.

He was meh....made some mental mistakes but who doesn't. Tonight was not a night to remember our defense prospects to say the least

Well he was comparing him to someone who had a good youngstars tournament before, without the stats to back it up. Valk deserves a legit shot at pro hockey, regardless of his 3 goals in the last two losses. The kid is good.

Me too..I love this kid.

Ha I actually jumped and cheered when he got his second. Forgot this was just a meaningless pre pre season game lol. Honestly tho some of you guys need to just chill a little bit. Bo has been fine gaunce has been good Shink and Valk have been great subban has been ok and fox is my dark horse. other then that it's been pretty painful to watch, but add in Demko mcann Cassels and Virtanen things would prolly look better, but who cares it is what it is just a young star tourney to get the young guys some scrimmages before main camp. we have all seen Corrado play well at the pro level, i don't put much stock into his game at this tourney, Haven't you ever played in a situation where you knew you were better then who you were playing with and against? It's kind of hard for Frankie to get pumped up. same with Bo if he isn't noticable come pre season then that's a different story. Before this tourney started I was hoping to see Shink,Valk,Subban and Fox play well. As I think those guy's have the most to prove Shink to show he is in good shape, Subban and Valk,to show even tho they are small they can still contibute, And Fox to show he didn't dominate just cuz of his age. I think Shink has shown he is more then ready (shape wise) to fight for a spot, Valk may just earn himself a pro contract, Subban has shown he plays bigger then he is, and Fox besides showing off his great shot has some grit to him as well. Hell i would have loved if Bo and gaunce dominated so far, but I think it's understandable if maybe just maybe they have next weekend on there mind. That being said iv'e liked for the most part what i saw from Gaunce and Bo. Nothing flashy but both for the most part did the little things that maybe don't end up on the highlight packages, but things that the coaches notice. love how Gaunce jumped right in to defend his guy, One thing is for sure tho we have a huge weakness in D depth with our young guys, would love a guy like Morrisey on our team :shock:

Well he was comparing him to someone who had a good youngstars tournament before, without the stats to back it up. Valk deserves a legit shot at pro hockey, regardless of his 3 goals in the last two losses. The kid is good.

To be fair, most people who did watch last years youngstars tournament know who Sasha Guimond already. But it is unfair to assume to assume new comers to know that.

http://vansunsportsblogs.com/2013/09/08/young-stars-three-stars-canucks-prospects-vs-oilers-prospects-september-8-2013/

short blurg and stats on Guimond.

But back to Valk, yeah he did well in the past 2 games in a prospects tourney. But more likely Vancouver brass will want to see if he can duplicate that as well in the pros. Likely chance is that Valk will be signed to an Amateur Tryout Contract to play in Utica for whatever the determined amount of games for or invited to the main camp to see what he can do.

He is good skill wise in the WHL...whether that translates to the pros is big question everyone will wonder come main camp...if he is there.

Just watched the game.

That Bell kid is still eligible to play? I remember when he (as a shark) fought Roussel back when he was on the Canucks young stars team... Pretty sure that was a while ago. Anyways, good on Stewart for taking on the older and more experienced kid.

Shinkaruk looked solid.

I don't know about you guys but I enjoy watching Gooseberries make a fool out of himself with these petty attempts to rip on Horvat.

you dont have to feel the same way I do. But why dont you state your case instead of throwing out insults and hiding behind other users?

Has he played well in these last 2 games against other top prospects?

Did he play well in the memorial cup?

Did he impress against stronger opponents in the ohl playoffs last year?

Did he play well in the wjc this year?

Mind you when I ask how he played im referring to did he play well for a 9th overall pick in a deep draft.

Im stating my opinion. Albeit it an unpopular one. Now why dont you state yours. Like an adult. Im here to talk hockey not throw insults.

you dont have to feel the same way I do. But why dont you state your case instead of throwing out insults and hiding behind other users?

Has he played well in these last 2 games against other top prospects?

Reply: Yes he shut down Draisaitl, stood him up mid ice, ran him into the boards, made many pretty passes to stone handed recipients in the first game.

Should of had an assist on the first goal second game, set up some stone handed...., allowed Shink to get his second goal by corralling two Jets in open ice.

Did he play well in the memorial cup?

Reply: He should have had many assits again stone handed McDavid flubbing set up after set up and Sam missed a couple too.

Did he impress against stronger opponents in the ohl playoffs last year?

Reply: Yes.

Did he play well in the wjc this year?

Reply: Injured

Mind you when I ask how he played im referring to did he play well for a 9th overall pick in a deep draft.

Im stating my opinion. Albeit it an unpopular one. Now why dont you state yours. Like an adult. Im here to talk hockey not throw insults.

see my replies above.

Bo or Hansen, think about it...I think he makes it this year if not he will be a star for Canada.

kinda very depressing. Youd think they'd be all trying to impress the office having the most available spots in the roster in the last 10 years. But no just coasting. Its sad really. I have a feeling we entered dark times last season. It will be a long long time before we are competitive again.

Dissapointing, yes, but highly unlikely any we're going to make the big club. I still have faith the boys will make the playoffs...barely.

Bo Horvat is one hell of a prospect. A shoe in 2nd line centre. However, we really could have used a 80 point winger, in other words, Nichushkin. I'm stoked to have Horvat, and will support the guy. BUT, I personally prefer Nichushkin.

Daniel Burrows Vrbata Kassian are you telling me that Nichuskin would have played on the third line. He'd be a defensive liability, and for the 40 points, with Benn and seguin on your left, you'd better be scoring forty or you should not be playing.

IMO, we really need to bring some more quality D men into our system. Subban looks great out there and Corrado is getting closer and closer to becoming an established pro, but the lack of depth on the back end is still a bit of a concern to me. Say what you want about guys like Hutton, Cederholm, and McEneny because they're good prospects, but I'm not at all close yet to being convinced that any of them will even become established top-6 d-men. There's definitely a chance, but there's not a ton of assurance in my opinion that they will become impact players. We don't have many of them in our system, for that matter.

For example, teams like the Sabres and the Islanders have D depth that absolutely pummels ours. I think Subban, Corrado and Tryamkin all have a very good chance of being NHL'ers from what I've seen so far, but we have no gold mine D prospects in our system like Reinhart, Zadorov, Pulock or Ristolainen. The clock is starting to run out on some of our vets, and it's not very convincing to see that we don't have very many D prospects ready to step in.

I think we have a very good balance of two-way/scoring depth with our forwards in our system, but the depth on D looks to be very minuscule. It's not a glaring issue, but it's definitely an area of concern.

Hanifin, Kylington, Werenski, Andersson, Roy, Pilon, Spencer and Vande Sompel are all d-men worth a look in this upcoming draft. Some may be far out of reach, but these are all guys that are worth a look.

The fact that they've completely ignored the defense in the draft is interesting to say the least. The last d-man that the Canucks picked in the first round was Bourdon.

I'm hoping for Hanifin or Kylington in this years draft. The Canucks should finish in the bottom 10 this year so we'll see what happens. They might just pick another big guy with no hockey sense though because of their major fear of skilled players and defensemen.

see my replies above.

Bo or Hansen, think about it...I think he makes it this year if not he will be a star for Canada.

I respect your views. Although I disagree with some. I'm not really happy with his development so far. But as you stated he still may be a better option than some of our current bottom 6.

This is why you don't pass judgement over 1 period or half a game.

CDC is pretty much adopting AV's attitude with rookies. If they have a bad shift, they suck.

That doesn't mean I was wrong when I said it, I didn't say they were going to indefinitely be playing with no heart. They were when I said they were, and I'll stand by that.

Archived