The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Waivers) - Jacob Markstrom

Outsiders

"It's a tough decision to make. Lack has been great in preseason and that played a part in this." - Benning on placing Markstrom on waivers

"I spoke with Jacob. He's disappointed but he understands our decision. He's worked really hard & will continue to work hard." - Benning

I`ll say, Lack hasn`t given up a goal all pre-season, while (behind weak defense in Stockton) Markstrom gave up 3 in 2 periods. Eddie`s clearly getting his due in that he should be the secured backup to Miller Time, but here`s to hoping Jacob makes it through. Either that or best wishes to him in his new digs.

At least we`re not playing roulette and having to give up an NHL-level starter for nothing since the guy we kept in Lack is clearly better so far. Several years ago the Ducks had Giguere, Bryz and Hiller and they let Bryz go to Phoenix through waivers. Also, I`m sure that the Sharks regretted letting Kipper go to Calgary for nearly nothing when they dealt(?) him.

Not to defend Gillis here but the Luongo trade was always about dumping his contract onto another team. Had we kept him he would've been a relatively good goalie in the short term but would have held a cap hit of 5.33 million til 2021 (7 more years!). That would have put a huge burden on our ability to make moves down the line (especially if Luongo started to decline towards the back 4 years remaining - which is the case with MOST goalies as they reach their late 30s like Luongo is).

There was pretty much no way a GM would be willing to take on that contract AND give up valuable assets to do it

You could argue that having the 15% cap recapture is bad (which it is compared to having no cap recapture obviously) but even if Luongo were to retire today the canucks would only be looking at a penalty of 1.25 million over the next 7 years (compared to 5.33 over 7 if we had kept him). At worst the canucks are looking at an 8.5 mil penalty for one year if Luongo makes it to 2020 but in all likelihood it will be a 2.3 mil over 3 years penalty when he retires in 2018 (at age 39) (again 2.3 million caphit is better than 5.33 if we had kept him) - numbers via capgeek

In short even if we lose Markstrom the Luongo trade in my opinion isn't too bad because we gain flexibility that didn't exist before. Plus signing Miller (a goalie similar in age and skill wise is not a dramatic dropoff from Luongo now) at a much friendlier term (3 years vs 7) means that we didn't really lose much in terms of on ice quality anyways

Because of that, my suspicion is that a trade is looming, and Canucks needed to shed Markstrom's salary ASAP.

You make an interesting point here DMo (as usual) - this is an interesting angle - and when you look at the reality some teams are facing, Philly, Chicago, Tampa and Boston all have to clear some cap space...

I'll give the run down.

Luongo for Matthias & Markstrom

Luongo wanted out, his cap hit off our sheets. Both teams win for now.

For now. Don't we get whacked with some of the recapture penalty when Lu retires before his contract ends?

I agree in general with the post that Florida's been good to us :lol:

So, let's say Markstrom clears waivers and is sent to Utica as planned.

Does that mean Rollie the Goalie goes down to Utica with him? I'm thinking that Miller probably doesn't need someone watching over him on a day-to-day basis, and Lack has become fundamentally sound so he too doesn't need Rollie to watch his every move. If Rollie doesn't take up permanent residence in Utica, that's going to be a lot of commuting...and Utica is not the easiest place to commute to (meaning there's no direct flights from YVR to Utica).

For now. Don't we get whacked with some of the recapture penalty when Lu retires before his contract ends?

I still say lawyers are marched out in droves the first time that happens.

This should serve as notice that we should no longer deal with Florida.EVER.

Mattias who is a redundant and lacking grit in the bottom six & an overhyped Markstrom and a small cap hit for the next few years for Luongo..... clearly the team needed some youth Dmen (why not trade for one of their defensemen; even a high pick?)

WHAT WAS GILLIS THINKING?!??!

Shows Markstrom had no value, even in a trade. Terrible deal.

It was all part of the Gillis heist.

I think luongo will play out his contract. He"s always been a guy concerned of his stats and I wouldn't be surprised to see him stick it out to try to get a few records and staple his name into nhl history. He will have a long career

You make an interesting point here DMo (as usual) - this is an interesting angle - and when you look at the reality some teams are facing, Philly, Chicago, Tampa and Boston all have to clear some cap space...

Yeah, I've been suspecting at least one "cap-dump" trade from Boston since Benning got here.

They have probably been holding out for a better deal, but it's getting down to the wire. I imagine Reilly Smith's camp is getting a little peeved that he's still unsigned - they're going to want to get him into some preseason games. Then again...maybe they're waiting until the season starts, so they can put Savard on LTIR and then sign Smith.

Philly and Chicago are interesting. Philly is a mess - not one of their signed players are waiver ineligible. They, like Boston, have to get under the cap for day one so they can put Pronger on LTIR. But how do they shed 5 million?!?

Chicago has no LTIR candidate, and simply needs to trim a salary. Bickell is the obvious choice. Not only for this year, but I imagine they would like to clear tagging room to get a Saad extension done ASAP. But they may have to wait until they go for their one last run, and then trade off Sharp (and Hossa?) to make room.

Tampa can just send down Drouin, Kucherov, and Sustr to get under the cap. They may end up losing Connolly on waivers.

Archived