The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

XS Cargo is bankrupt - 50 stores closing.

Dazzle

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/12-sudbury-jobs-lost-as-discount-retailer-xs-cargo-goes-bankrupt-1.2782293

12 Sudbury jobs lost as discount retailer XS Cargo goes bankrupt
In July, retail chain had 650 employees across Canada, 195 of them full-time

CBC News Posted: Sep 30, 2014 8:58 AM ET Last Updated: Sep 30, 2014 9:03 AM ET

XS Cargo is shutting 50 stores in eight provinces and laying off 650 people. (CBC)

The bankruptcy of the XS Cargo chain will cost 12 people their jobs in Sudbury.

Store manager JT Begley said the outlet — which sells excess or refurbished items — employs one full-time and 11 part-time workers.

Founded in 1996, XS Cargo runs warehouse-like stores in eight provinces with stock bought from other distressed retailers or from bankruptcy sales. The Sudbury store is slated to close by mid-November.

A business professor at Cambrian College said the current retail environment is hard on stores like XS Cargo. There is a lot of competition and people are strategizing about how to spend their hard-earned money.

“The consumer is looking for the best price and they also like to buy new, rather than refurbished,” Brian Vendramin said.

“They look for warranties. They look for customer service. I think by going to the Targets and the Walmarts, they're getting that kind of response, versus going to an XS Cargo.”

He also noted “there's also some downward pressure from people who buy on E-Bay, [and] who would rather shop online than go to a place like an XS Cargo.”

Liquidating stock

XS Cargo's president, Duncan Reith said a plan to keep some of the company’s 50 stores open fell apart late last week.

Reith said that deal wouldn’t have saved the Sudbury location.

Severance for employees is limited to what can be done under the Bankruptcy Act, he added.

XS Cargo is liquidating its stock of housewares, fashion, health and beauty and outdoor products at 40 per cent off.

The announcement to close came after the retailer sought bankruptcy protection in July. It referred to Target’s entry into Canada in its bankruptcy filing.

In July, XS Cargo had 650 employees across Canada, 195 of them full-time.

My net broke and I went to XS for the hell of it and saw a NHL official size net with the netting for $50...was my most memorable buy, along with a $150 Bluetooth I got for $75...other than that, didn't really get much but always thought it was a cool store to go into.

Crappy! While it's buyer beware for everything you buy, I've managed to buy a few good things from there over the years. Cheap solar lights for the yard that are still working 3 years after the fact. Same with a weed eater I bought almost 4 years ago.

Crappiest part of it all will be all the jobs that are lost.

Honestly it was a pretty good store as long as you didn't buy anything more expensive like a TV or something like that. I loved it for things that are semi-disposable like dishes, cheaper furniture, and stuff like that. I even had OK luck with a theatre in a box that lasted me about 4 years before finally giving out.

XS Cargo sells junk. Lot of stuff they sell are returned items from big stores. Or refurbished stuff.

No refunds.

In the article they say Target was one of the reason they closed. BS, they are nothing like Target. More likely stores like Dollarama is what killed them.

XS Cargo sells junk. Lot of stuff they sell are returned items from big stores. Or refurbished stuff.

No refunds.

In the article they say Target was one of the reason they closed. BS, they are nothing like Target. More likely stores like Dollarama is what killed them.

Nothing like target? They both sell garbage quality products.

Archived