The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Miller's Alternate Mask

Drive-By Body Pierce

Johnny Canuck On Miller’s Second Vancouver Mask
By InGoal Magazine Staff On October 7, 2014 · Add Comment

Ryan-Miller-Johnny-Canuck-Second-Mask-5-Ryan Miller has a second mask for his first season as the Vancouver Canucks No.1 goaltender.

After featuring First Nations art and a west coast theme on his first Vancouver mask, Miller turned to the popular Johnny Canuck lumberjack character for his second.

If the look seems is familiar to Miller fans, the design is based on his old “Sparty” mask from his NCAA days at Michigan State.

“We did a bit of a throw back to his college days and the layout we used to do his ‘Sparty’ mask,” Ray Bishop of Bishop Designs, who designed and painted both Miller masks, toldInGoal Magazine in an email. “Ryan pretty much let me run with it to make the idea come to life on the mask.”

Johnny Canuck dominates the mask, with “Vancouver” scrolled across the front of his toque, the stick-in-rink logo on the shoulder of his sleeves on both sides of the mask, and a big “V” with the vintage “Vancouver” running up and down through it on the chin of the mask.

The backplate will also be familiar to long-time Miller fans. In addition to the “Miller Time” that has always adorned his pro masks, Miller again included “Matt Man” with a halo to honour his late cousin, who passed away from complications from a bone marrow transplant. Just below that is a shout out to Miller’s wife, Hollywood actress, Noureen DeWulf, and their dog Puck.

After creating masks for Miller in college and Buffalo, Bishop also put together the St. Louis Blues mask worn by Miller last year. You can visit Bishop Design’s website, follow Ray and Co. on Twitter and/or Instagram, and Like his Facebook page. In the meantime enjoy these exclusive close ups of Miller’s new lid below:

Ryan-Miller-Johnny-Canuck-Second-Mask-1-

Ryan-Miller-Johnny-Canuck-Second-Mask-2-

Ryan-Miller-Johnny-Canuck-Second-Mask-3-

Ryan-Miller-Johnny-Canuck-Second-Mask-4-

Ryan-Miller-Johnny-Canuck-Second-Mask-5-

Ryan-Miller-Johnny-Canuck-Second-Mask-6-

Ryan-Miller-Johnny-Canuck-Second-Mask-7-

http://ingoalmag.com/masks/johnny-canuck-millers-second-vancouver-mask/

I like it to. Simple yet still detailed. I wonder how he decides which mask to where each night

I'm thinking the Johnny Canuck one is for the third jersey

Archived