The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Leafs interested in Eric Staal

Plum

Also wrong.

Just as much evidence to support both claims.

As in, none.

Declining goal scoring says enough for me. A former 40 goal threat who is now more of a 25 goal threat. You could argue that the supporting staff around him has also declined so it makes sense but I see a player who peaked early in his career. His last two full NHL seasons have been underwhelming compared to his early career seasons. His exclusion from the Olympic team also says to me that he is no longer considered in the same class as other top Canadian NHL players.

I just don't think he is as good as he used to be. Perhaps new surroundings may help him become a premier offensive threat again.

If Carolina is trying to get themselves McDavid, which I assume is the notion behind possibly moving him, they are better off keeping Staal around to help ease the immediate burden that will be on McDavid if they get him.

Declining goal scoring says enough for me. A former 40 goal threat who is now more of a 25 goal threat. You could argue that the supporting staff around him has also declined so it makes sense but I see a player who peaked early in his career. His last two full NHL seasons have been underwhelming compared to his early career seasons. His exclusion from the Olympic team also says to me that he is no longer considered in the same class as other top Canadian NHL players.

I just don't think he is as good as he used to be. Perhaps new surroundings may help him become a premier offensive threat again.

If Carolina is trying to get themselves McDavid, which I assume is the notion behind possibly moving him, they are better off keeping Staal around to help ease the immediate burden that will be on McDavid if they get him.

So much wrong with this. In all but two seasons of his career Staal has put up at least 70 points and in the lockout shortened year still put up 53 points in 48 games. So no, he is not by any means washed up.

So much wrong with this. In all but two seasons of his career Staal has put up at least 70 points and in the lockout shortened year still put up 53 points in 48 games. So no, he is not by any means washed up.

I don't see anything wrong with my opinion as it's just an opinion.

The all but 2 seasons you refer to are the most recent full seasons. The lockout season can't be used to determine full season performance as it was a different circumstance.

In my opinion, the Leafs, or any other team thinking of acquiring him, have to be mindful that perhaps his best days are behind him. The cost to acquire him, which is likely going to be high, will likely not be worth the return.

The all but 2 seasons you refer to are the most recent full seasons. The lockout season can't be used to determine full season performance as it was a different circumstance.

In my opinion, the Leafs, or any other team thinking of acquiring him, have to be mindful that perhaps his best days are behind him. The cost to acquire him, which is likely going to be high, will likely not be worth the return.

Or that his scoring has gone down slightly, although only compared to his one spike year, he is still reliable as a PPG player.

Also, his overall game has improved since then and he is a more complete player.

Now normally that would be true, except when speaking fo the canucks and ONLY on the CDC forums of course because these are speaking of the rest of the teams careers based off of less than 50 games :P

Yes I know who that leaves them with. It also leaves them with the better chance at Mc Jesus and if the Leafs do their usual thing two top 10 picks in this years draft.

I do have to say though, that there is almost NO WAY Jordan Staal alone is worth that package, he is frequently injured not a big point getter and not even a solid shut down center anymore.

While Carolina adds Nylander (fan recognition) Reilly (solid blue line player) and a 1st which could be an additional top 10 pick.

For good ol Nonis, it's that knee jerk move Leafs fans are used to, it makes them appear competitive by not giving up much in the roster and assures their mediocrity for an additional decade as is usual.

You cannot seriously tell me that doesn't look like a deal Nonis would do in a moment. Remember what he allegedly offered for Richards ;)

Maybe Nonis is an idiot? Can't really do business counting on it. But its too early to say the same for Francis.

Although Francis pretty much held his hand this past summer. Not sure how he expected to improve aside from expecting all his players to rebound with no stimulus?

In any case. I remain massively doubtful Carolina trades its top 2 centers without receiving a center back. Nylander is years from being a top pivot. And in my understanding was expected to play wing in the NHL? That's where we are asking Francis to be just as neglectful to his teams needs in search of Connor. All I am saying is any deal prob has to include Kadri. In reality, I would think they would have to give up Nylander, Kadri and Reilly (plus)?

This is both Staals and the chance for the balance after all...

TBH, the whole concept does my head in.

Maybe Nonis is an idiot? Can't really do business counting on it. But its too early to say the same for Francis.

Although Francis pretty much held his hand this past summer. Not sure how he expected to improve aside from expecting all his players to rebound with no stimulus?

In any case. I remain massively doubtful Carolina trades its top 2 centers without receiving a center back. Nylander is years from being a top pivot. And in my understanding was expected to play wing in the NHL? That's where we are asking Francis to be just as neglectful to his teams needs in search of Connor. All I am saying is any deal prob has to include Kadri. In reality, I would think they would have to give up Nylander, Kadri and Reilly (plus)?

This is both Staals and the chance for the balance after all...

TBH, the whole concept does my head in.

All ya needed to say.

And yes, Nonis has proven time and again to be an idiot

eric staal would be a sweet pickup for the Buds.

given that bozak plays so well with kessel, staal would likely play on the other top 6 unit, and provide them with 2 legitimate threats.

carolina also gets young and gifted offensive players, and sets up a future d-core of murphy, gardiner, and fleury.... none too shabby.

I suspect if this deal does go down, itll only be a matter of time till jordan and skinner are moved.

and then the possibillity of adding mcdavid... and boom. also a decent destination point for one of lack/markstrom imo.

Archived