The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver vs Dallas Oct. 21st

Kryten

#Canucks on the ice for practice this morning at UBC. No Stanton.
Nux shuffle third and fourth lines at practice today, Linden Vey to fourth line and Shawn Matthis to third: 27-15-9; 51-7-36. #Canucks
Frank Corrado and Tom Sestito are 4th defensive pairing at practice today, indicating they'll likely be scratched in Dallas. #Canucks

Showcasing Matthias?

Why are you surprised? The 4th line suits him and his abilities just fine.

I think he's the ideal 3rd line checker. During our 2011 run, most times Hansen would forecheck it would lead to a lose puck or opportunity for us. I saw him on fire last game and was doing the same. Unfortunately his line mates weren't finishing the chances.

I think if they have some time, they'll be able to take advantage of Hansen's forchecking and create some goals. This is when Hansen is at his ABSOLUTE best. When he crushes hard on the forecheck and picks pockets. If he continues what he did vs the bolts, we won't have to worry about him one bit.

I think he's the ideal 3rd line checker. During our 2011 run, most times Hansen would forecheck it would lead to a lose puck or opportunity for us. I saw him on fire last game and was doing the same. Unfortunately his line mates weren't finishing the chances.

I think if they have some time, they'll be able to take advantage of Hansen's forchecking and create some goals. This is when Hansen is at his ABSOLUTE best. When he crushes hard on the forecheck and picks pockets. If he continues what he did vs the bolts, we won't have to worry about him one bit.

Why is anyone worried about him? Hansen's game is the same as it always is. Solid on the PK. Speed. Hard on the forecheck. Inability to score on a breakaway or a wide open net.

Not sure I like Vey at 4C. Is the move a demotion, or WD getting a better look at Matthias in a different role with Horvat returning soon? Maybe it's a sign of WD's level of confidence in Vey but I think he is going to get eaten alive at centre going up against experienced guys like Horcoff and Fiddler. I like Vey. His upside is obvious, and his defensive awareness isn't terrible, but at this point he's a lot better equiped to handle winger duties than centre.

With Dallas getting last change, and assuming Sedin/Bonino see the majority of O-zone starts, when are you gonna roll out Dorsett-Vey-Hansen confidently?

I wouldn't be surprised if this is an indication that WD intends to play more of a 3 line game tomorrow night.

Catalyst, see a few post below.

If we are going to roll 4 lines with all lines getting over 10 minutes then every line needs to be able to score.

In order to score consistently every line needs a catalyst.

Someone, usually the center needs to make it happen.

With Matthias at center things where just too helter skelter with nothing getting to the front of the net, so back to the wing.

With Vey on the 4th he is capable of creating some offence and it's a step in the right direction, for now.

Horvat will be the guy running the 4th line soon though for obvious reasons, bigger, better at FO's and better on D., etc.

I really can't wait for Bo to get back to make this all work.

Maybe Gaunce can bumb a log too.

I'm excited with the way the team has been playing, you could argue they outplayed the Lightning. It's nice to see considering Tampa is a potential contender. I honestly think this upgraded Canucks team will be successful under WD, but they definitely need to polish some parts of the system.

As for this game, I definitely wouldn't count the Nucks out. I might be optimistic but I think the Canucks will come in and dictate the pace for most of the game. Hopefully we will see some tweaks to the system and a bit more discipline.

I predict the Canucks pull off a 3-2 win.

I think Mathias adds size to our attack on our 3rd which we will need moving forward, it's a universal to have size and speed through the line up, Vey may actually be better served with less minutes to train him of the pro level. WD knows Vey better than anyone so 4th it is.

Going to miss the game but I'm thinking the boys pull this one off in stunning fashion.

As for all you guys calling its Vey's demotion, I thought of it as Dorsett and Hansen's promotion. The two were a bright spot against Tampa and Mathias, Richardson, Kassian were our best line to close last year and they have chemistry. When Horvat comes back I don't think he has room at centre and he isn't a good enough winger to beat out Dorsett/Sestito for a 4th line spot. This is the lineup I'm expecting all year.

Archived