The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver vs Dallas Oct. 21st

Kryten

Really hoping to see some secondary scoring this game. If we want to compete we are going to need the 2nd and 3rd line to start chipping in. While the first line is clicking and I'm really happy that they are producing, we can't rely on them night in and night out to get the job done. Time to step up depth.

4-1 canucks.

Daniel

Burrows

Kassian

Matthias

Spezza

Predicting 4:2 Stars (hoping Lehtonen posts another solid save %!)

Seguin x 2
Benn
Someone on the PP

Wouldn't mind seeing a nice snipe by Seguin either. They're probably less deep than Tampa but they have enough firepower and a strong goalie to deliver the wins.

When Bo is back I'd like to see a middle six of;

Higgins / Horvat / Burrows

Vey / Bonino / Kassian

Forget who is 2knd line, who is 3rd. No intent to call one better than another. Horvat's line comes out when its a defensive match up & the vets provide the work rate and know how to get him off on the right foot. Bonino's line is there to SCORE, and has size and speed to draw match ups away from the Twins.

Bit of a head scratcher. I would say Higgins and Bonino have the most offense in them outside of the 1st line and need to be kept together as the primary secondary scoring line. You want to add Vey or Vrbata to that line instead of Burrows to have more creativity - I'm all for it.

I would go with

Higgins - Bonino - Vey

Burrows - Horvat - Kassian

If we're going to give him a top 9 spot. Higgins and Burrows are both great forecheckers that retrieve pucks - Vey and Kassian have great playmaking abilities. Right now it seems like we're overloading the 2nd line with the two forecheckers (Higgins, Burrows) and the 3rd line with playmakers (Vey, Kassian). I think this gives us a more balanced attack.

That is, if Bo is ready for a top 9 role. Otherwise it would be Richardson in Horvat's place.

#Canucks on the ice for practice this morning at UBC. No Stanton.
Nux shuffle third and fourth lines at practice today, Linden Vey to fourth line and Shawn Matthis to third: 27-15-9; 51-7-36. #Canucks
Frank Corrado and Tom Sestito are 4th defensive pairing at practice today, indicating they'll likely be scratched in Dallas. #Canucks

New look for Dan Hamhuis, bird cage has been removed....beak still patched up. #Canucks pic.twitter.com/jOkRuC1u5B

B0Z9xlpIMAEIohK.jpg
Dan Hamhuis feeling more "normal" on ice with new facial protection. "Lucky" to skate away with broken nose. pic.twitter.com/G2mRm2M3d8
B0aFU_5IEAAaj6H.jpg

4-2 Canucks.

Goals by Vrbata, Sedin, Sedin and Edler.

Bonino increases his faceoff percentage to 40%...wooohooooo.

Can we please get a 2nd line center now Jim?

4 games in, new team, new system. Can't we give Bonino some time before we throw him under the bus?

Who are you prepared to give up for this 2nd line C. I mean realistically; a roster player would have to go to make cap space and getting a 2C would require a prospect included.

Adding another C to the team will have fans screaming about prospects being blocked from making the team.

I like Boner so far he is a determine guy im looking forward to the hole season with him

You can like him all you want, it doesn't change the fact he has been terrible in the circle and doesn't have the offensive punch we need from a second line center. On a positive note he is a far better 2 way player than I expected. If he was forced to play 3rd line center because someone else stood out and took the 2nd line spot it would show real team depth...not the current depth we have with one legit top line and a bottom 9 consisting of projects and rag tag 3rd and 4th liners.

You can like him all you want, it doesn't change the fact he has been terrible in the circle and doesn't have the offensive punch we need from a second line center. On a positive note he is a far better 2 way player than I expected. If he was forced to play 3rd line center because someone else stood out and took the 2nd line spot it would show real team depth...not the current depth we have with one legit top line and a bottom 9 consisting of projects and rag tag 3rd and 4th liners.

Ok

4 games in, new team, new system. Can't we give Bonino some time before we throw him under the bus?

Who are you prepared to give up for this 2nd line C. I mean realistically; a roster player would have to go to make cap space and getting a 2C would require a prospect included.

Adding another C to the team will have fans screaming about prospects being blocked from making the team.

UNDER THE BUS WITH HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm joking. I don't want to be too harsh but I never saw how he fit in the role and I don't see him fitting in the role moving forward. He wasn't a 2nd C in Anaheim and he isn't here. ATM he is a 3rd line center.

I don't care what people scream about really, if we don't have a 2nd line center in system somewhere, then we need to get one. I'd be happy to try a prospect currently on our system...but who? Horvat in 2 weeks? Gaunce? Mcann is already in Jr.

I agree there is little that could be done via trade, we don't really have tradeable prospects without mortgaging the future, but in my ideal world, we could trade Higgins or Hansen in a pkg with a prospect if there was a young center that we had eyes for. The type of player I'm thinking is an Andrew Shaw or Brian Little. I'd love to see Kyle Turris as a Canuck.

Basically I would have forced Kes to stay and be pouty. A pouty Kes would still be effective until he broke and added teams to his list, or a team he really wanted to go to needed a bonafide 2nd line C.

I'm not crying over the trade though, Benning was the one that had to deal with the diva, it was likely unbearable.

Archived