The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Favorite all time Canuck whipping boys!

TheRick

The biggest whipping boy I have seen was probably michel petit and Ron Sedlbauer. Then I would argue Jim Sandlak and then Gerald Didiuk . Then I would argue it was Dan Cloutier , then Kevin Bieksa could never live anything down. Then Keith Ballard and sometimes Mason Raymond.

Todays canucks its probably Zack Kassian and Alex Edler.

Yeah, I remember Sedlbauer too: everyone was on his case, then he scored 40+ goals one season and they were on his case for not doing it again. Some players just can't doing anything right, even when they do something right for this franchise.

There is something about a subset of fans who think they are Donald Trump or something and act like a bad boss towards the players. Probably they have bad bosses themselves and deal with it this way, but it isn't cool.

There have been no shortage of whipping boys going all the way back to the aforementioned Dale Tallon and Dennis Kearns. Wayne Maki was disparaged here for his past history even before the Canucks ever played their first-ever NHL game. But as LaBamba says, the internet takes it all to a whole new level. Horizontal Raymond and Hunter Booth were the most disdained of more-recent victims. Edler is pretty close, too.

People called Pyatt a pylon for the longest time. Sedin sisters - cute, but no. Yeah, Raymond....never got that one either. Sami and the whole man of glass thing - ridiculous. What they don't consider is that these players considered "soft" are actually tough for having the tools to get back out there despite injury.

Bieksa - people are ridiculous and jump on/off the wagon with him. Called for his head years ago, now back at it. Go away. You, not him.

Lu, because teams are supposedly composed of one man.

Burr's becoming one. I will take you down.

Raymond by an enormous margin. Edler is probably second

Honorable mentions:

Garrison - Gives opponents space and lets them shoot. Stopped taking shots from the point because he would injure someone if he did (my opinion)

Ruutu - always took a penalty while on the PK, grrrr.

Sopel - Numorous times I would sit down in class and other kids would show up blaming Sopel for the loss

Pyatt - Pylon, nuff said

Bernier - was never really good enough

Luongo* - how many losses did people put full blame on him?

Gillis( does he count?) - good at cheap pickups, terrible at everything else

Messier - Messier

Bieksa* - Many people out there constantly jump on and off the Bieksa bandwagon

*I personally like these players

Archived