The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Alex Burrows suspended 3 games

-Vintage Canuck-

What do you think of the Alex Burrows suspension?  

336 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Like what some other people have said..It was probably one more than it should have been,especially when you consider that Burrows has clean record (he's no angel,but he's no Matt Cooke either)....It will be interesting to see if the NHL hands out a 3 game suspension to other first time offenders,for the same type of hit.

They won't, and that's what bothers me most.

I won't lose sleep over Burrows getting one more game than I thought he should have, but the inconsistency of it all is just annoying as f***.

Garbage. Pure garbage. He was suspended for 3 games because his name is Alex Burrows. The league has let far too many players get away with far more egregious hits - oh, but they were not Canucks. That is all that continues to matter - the logo on the player's chest. The fact that the referees and the league hate Burr is just an added bonus here.

And when will a player ever be suspended for a marginal hit such as this on a Canuck??

Oscar worthy flailing like he was shot.but its totally a reputation call

ps can't wait to see how they call it in the playoffs

The tinfoil hats are strong in this one.

It's a reasonable suspension but the NHL doesn't exactly have a good track record for this kind of thing. I don't have a problem with the length, but if Burr gets 3 than Keith should have gotten a lifetime ban for his criminal assault on Daniel Sedin.

The worst part of the hit wasn't that it was a tad late - it was the "blindside" angle he came in on. Pretty much the same angle Cooke hit Savard at. That, in particular, is something the league has identified as suspension-worthy.

But since Emelin was stumbling and wasn't hurt, I was originally thinking 1 game...maybe 2. I will say 3 seems excessive, but not enough to scream bloody murder over.

Although I did think it was odd how my NHL Gamecenter message notifying me of the hit specified that Burrows got 3 games for a 'late, illegal hit to the head'. Usually they just state the suspension in the notification, and leave the details to the article.

How the hell can they justify 3 games, when other get off with murder... Smells like payback for Burrows. NHL is a joke

yep a bunch of losers passed the torch to another bunch of losers Pronger biggest loser

anyways if he had to be suspended, 1 game should of done it... with a call like that Alex should have hit him harder and directly in the noggin. did they get it right nah but like I said its a bunch of power hungrey losers running the show..enough said. somethings change but more seem to stay the same...

This is another example of anti-Canuck bias.

Burrows is a first time offender, the hit was aimed at the shoulder, Emelin wasn't hurt, he should get a maximum of 1 game.

Complete bullsh*t when you consider what the Bruins got away with late last year.

Yes I agree with you totally it makes me so mad.

It's a reasonable suspension but the NHL doesn't exactly have a good track record for this kind of thing. I don't have a problem with the length, but if Burr gets 3 than Keith should have gotten a lifetime ban for his criminal assault on Daniel Sedin.

Its a different safety group. So far this year,they have been decent.

I voted for "League got it right", but it looks like I am in the minority. About 80% feel it's too long, and 20% feel it's appropriate.

The reason why I voted for "League got it right" is because I watched the video clip and took any bias out of it. I pretended that it was PK Subban who hit Daniel Sedin in the head. And when I did that, I thought to myself "HE BETTER GET SUSPENDED! HOLY CRAP!".

I know it's hard to remove bias. I've seen all the photos here, and analysis, and people who say it was shoulder first etc. But the hit was late... and it made serious contact with his head. So the league had no choice. I really don't believe anyone who says that if the roles were reversed and it was D. Sedin / Subban, that they wouldn't be calling for 3 games or more. And likewise, if that had happened, there would be people on the Montreal forum saying it was a clean hit. Case and point.... NO ONE on the Montreal forums thinks it was a clean hit or that Burrows shouldn't have gotten suspended.

My two cents.

I voted for "League got it right", but it looks like I am in the minority. About 80% feel it's too long, and 20% feel it's appropriate.

The reason why I voted for "League got it right" is because I watched the video clip and took any bias out of it. I pretended that it was PK Subban who hit Daniel Sedin in the head. And when I did that, I thought to myself "HE BETTER GET SUSPENDED! HOLY CRAP!".

I know it's hard to remove bias. I've seen all the photos here, and analysis, and people who say it was shoulder first etc. But the hit was late... and it made serious contact with his head. So the league had no choice. I really don't believe anyone who says that if the roles were reversed and it was D. Sedin / Subban, that they wouldn't be calling for 3 games or more. And likewise, if that had happened, there would be people on the Montreal forum saying it was a clean hit. Case and point.... NO ONE on the Montreal forums thinks it was a clean hit or that Burrows shouldn't have gotten suspended.

My two cents.

You're not wrong. I'm among those who voted it was too long, however, for the simple fact that it is not consistent with all other "late head hits" from last season. It may be consistent with what most got at the beginning of the season last year, but not later.

That being said, though, if they actually do maintain this standard throughout this year I'll be happy to change my answer. Otherwise, it will remain unfair to punish some players more simply because their suspensions were handed out earlier in the season before teams were making hard pushes for the playoffs.

No, I meant an opinion.

One guy ruling by decree is dangerous and easy to interperet as corrupt. I have always called for a committee of players, refs and experts to vote on such matters.

It's who is on that committee & why? What are their biases? No matter how hard they claim to ignore them,...these biases are gained through life experiences & allegiances that will make-up one's point of view,... just like with those hard-to-understand Olympic figure skating judges. So what does the IOC do? They add balance to their panels who sit in judgement ...& rotate them-out after terms of service.

The DPS is mostly seeded with former players from O-6 or So-Cal affiliations....& Patrick Burke is a former scout & how he has the career-chops to be there....is a complete puzzlement. They should be requiring far more balance & regionalization on the NHL's DPS. But, currently those positions are appointed and not elected,.. so the league is better able to manipulate this group into providing 'some' teams or players with advantages.

Look carefully at the hockey histories of the current DPS members ...& you will see where the favortism currently lies. Like I said,...they cannot help it,... it is simply their point of view,... like with any jury they will have their own biases, but we just happen to know where they are. Like within all juries, all sides should be given an opportunity to have an element of representation in the final decision-making room. But, that just doesn't happen inside Mr. Bettman's DPS ....nor does it happen often enough in the NHL's other head offices, either.

Time for change.

Archived