The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vey staying on second line?

dbutcher

Vey is a very good player but I don't believe he currently ranks above Burrows. He will move down to the 3rd line. He plays best at C but isn't great at face-offs so we will see how it goes.

I like that we have 4 lines that can score. As long as he sees 1st PP time his points won't suffer. I would love to see him hit 40.

What is your perception? I thought that Vey made that line more offensive last night and the Stats agree.

Where to play Burr?

3rd line showing good chem.......

Does management want to find a home for Bo?

Who gets scratched?

This is great to have these issues and decisions.

"They looked like the Sedins" would suggest it would be a good idea to leave them together.

Vey looked great on the 2nd line and IMO that's exactly what they need - a bit of pure skill. Vey has better offensive vision than Burrows but more importantly he's a right handed shot which is why their cycling, passing and scoring worked much better.

I'll admit Burrows has looked good this season but he's just a replica of Higgins, so chemistry-wise he'd be better suited to the 3rd line. Vey really should play on the 2nd and if Vbrata continues to struggle, put him on the top line.

Sedin - Sedin - Vbrata

Higgins - Bonino - Vey

Burrows - Richardson - Kassian

Dorsett - Matthias - Horvat

Scratch Hansen for a game. He looked strong last game and was all over the puck, but the kids had no luck and been invisible at times. Maybe a healthy scratch will shake him up. Dorsett and Matthias definately deserve 4th line minutes at the least with how well they've played lately.

If Kassian continues his poor play he should be the next to get scratched.

In all honesty, Hansen hasn't looked too good dating back to last season. By all means not a bad player; just a couple of changes of systems.

SInce the Canucks have been rolling four lines, the 1st has been obvious and one of the best in the league. The second line seems to have clicked with Vey on it and the third line is from last year and just coming together. The fourth line is comprised of no chumps either.

On any given night, two of the four lines are clicking on high gear. Between the third line and the fourth, the only thing that matters is when they're clicking. They click, they get the minutes. Desjardins plays the team; not individuals.

In other years, placing Burrows on the fourth line would have been seen as a demotion. In this system, putting Burrows on the "fourth" line is a sign of great depth. Burrows on a "fourth" line makes for a third line on any team.

D. SEDIN - H. SEDIN - VRBATA

HIGGINS - BONINO - VEY

MATTHIAS - RICHARDSON - KASSIAN

BURROWS - HORVAT - DORSETT

Anyone else notice that his D-play has improved since the early games?

He looks better every game. I can't remember the last time a Canuck with only a few dozen NHL games experience has had this type of learning curve. Who's the last Canuck rookie to start on 1st PP unit? Bure? Edler maybe.

The Kings did a good job developing him properly.

I guess the one thing we know is that based on the last game (+ Burrows' play before his suspension) someone capable of playing will sit.

There are so many possibilities that it's hard to guess. I see any player who was on the 3rd or 4th line (or is it 3A or 3B line) in the win over the Avalanche as a possible scratch, except perhaps Dorsett.

Maybe someone will come down with the flu.

Will WD try to keep the lines mostly as they've been, since the lineup has worked well? Will he decide it's time for a major shakeup?

fwiw, imo Matthias is the one closest to having earned a holiday in the pressbox with his mostly indifferent play, though his play has been better recently than it was earlier. Many are suggesting Hansen, but it seems hard to sit him after he was excellent in the last game.

Honestly, for the SJS game I think Willie's going to sit Bo. There's zero reason to rush his 9 games. Burrows will get a shot to keep his 2nd line spot and Vey will fall back to 4C. Then take it game by game from there. If someone has a bad game, there's a loss, or a forward is hurt. Put Bo back in. This could end up being the longest 9 games for a rookie I've ever seen.

IMO, it's Hansen that sits. With Vey's play vs. the Avs, I think he deserves a longer look with Higgy and Bonino. It may appear as if Vey has pushed Burrows down the depth chart.

A fourth line of Burrows -- Horvat -- Dorsett has the potential to be the best fourth line in the NHL. But that's > $7M cap space tied up on the fourth...if Vey keeps doing what he did on Tuesday, IMO, it won't be long before Burrows is shopped around (in spite of his NTC).

Burrows...his undisciplined play may have cost him more than three games. I'll be sad if Burrows is moved, but time may have come.

We don't really have a fourth line. So I don't really have a problem with having so much money on the "fourth line".

Honestly, for the SJS game I think Willie's going to sit Bo. There's zero reason to rush his 9 games. Burrows will get a shot to keep his 2nd line spot and Vey will fall back to 4C. Then take it game by game from there. If someone has a bad game, there's a loss, or a forward is hurt. Put Bo back in. This could end up being the longest 9 games for a rookie I've ever seen.

Thing is the 9 games are to see how he stacks in thr big leagues. How are we going to know if he's NHL ready by not playing him against the Best in the West. Which is the California teams.

Higgins-Bonino, Richardson-Kassian have to stay together. Honestly, Hansen brings consistency every game. He doesn't always score or hit but he's reliable out there and you know every night he's going to go 100%. He's fast on the forecheck, works hard and is like Brenden Gallagher without the offensive skill.

Higgins - Bonino - Hansen

Matthias - Horvat - Vey

It's hard to take out Dorsett, I'd like to take out Horvat put Vey on centre, get Dorsett on the 4th like and if Matthias doesn't have a good game then put Vey/Horvat/Dorsett out there.

3 even lines, Bonino-Higgins have offensive flash, Hansen has the balance of hard work, defence and chaos to defencemen. Burrows/Richardson/Kassian I can imagine would have offensive shifts of boardplay after boardplay, 3 gritty players.

Higgins-Bonino, Richardson-Kassian have to stay together. Honestly, Hansen brings consistency every game. He doesn't always score or hit but he's reliable out there and you know every night he's going to go 100%. He's fast on the forecheck, works hard and is like Brenden Gallagher without the offensive skill.

Higgins - Bonino - Hansen

Matthias - Horvat - Vey

It's hard to take out Dorsett, I'd like to take out Horvat put Vey on centre, get Dorsett on the 4th like and if Matthias doesn't have a good game then put Vey/Horvat/Dorsett out there.

3 even lines, Bonino-Higgins have offensive flash, Hansen has the balance of hard work, defence and chaos to defencemen. Burrows/Richardson/Kassian I can imagine would have offensive shifts of boardplay after boardplay, 3 gritty players.

I don't think he should be playing on the second line when everyone's healthy, but people need to do the calming of the tits when it comes to Hansen lately. He's been one of our best players in the last few games.

He looks better every game. I can't remember the last time a Canuck with only a few dozen NHL games experience has had this type of learning curve. Who's the last Canuck rookie to start on 1st PP unit? Bure? Edler maybe.

The Kings did a good job developing him properly.

The D side of the game isn't new to Vey. He played top pk unit in junior and the AHL. He just needed a few games to adapt it to the NHL.

Wanna see

Sedins-Burrows

Higgins-Bonino-Vrbata

Matthais-Richardson-Kassian

Dorsett-Horvat-Vey

Why? Vrbata and they sedins have gone cold. If you watch they play a perimeter game. No one drives the net and goes to the net like Burrows does. With Vrbata he plays behind the net with the sedins cycling. he's not in a shooting position or going to those areas to score like Burrows does. Burrows lets the sedins do their magic and he gets in those dirty area's

I agree with this guy, Balance's out the line-up a 'lil' bit more and we could always reunite the 'Radin' line on the PP.

I really hope Vey does stay up there: so far he's looked great and it would be worth seeing if he's able to handle it long term. If not, back to 4C. Burrows at 4LW to ride shotgun for Horvat at 4C in the mean time. With Dorsett at 4RW, that's a gritty, defensively solid, and offensively capable line. Vey at 2RW makes the second line very dangerous offensively. I think he's earned a longer shot there.

Archived