The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Ducks @ Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

Would've been a blast if we would've gotten the 2 points, but oh fine, move on with the 1 point now. It's great that Kesler didn't get any points out of us, but the ovation for him was ridiculous. 10+ years he played with all that sweat for our team and it gets totally wiped away, can't believe how the Canucks management wouldn't even spend the time to make a longer video tribute for him...Just sad. I think we went over with the booing...I was there, I admit, as his fan and a Canucks fan at the same time, I even booed a bit because I was caught in the mood when most of the male fans started the booing. I imagined if we had cheered him all the game through, it'd make us so much classier. I heard a lot of fans who didn't go to the game even said the fans at live were embarrassing...Sigh. Whatever, time to move on. I just hope Kesler gets another appreciation night one day...I don't know, some people felt like he was one of our best players in the franchise after being a fan favourite these past years. I think after tonight, I definitely regret my little boo's for him even though I cheered for him hard during his short ovation. He really deserved more love to be shown by us, even though he did hurt us.

Kesler demanded a trade

Luongo demanded a trade

Kesler gave a 2 team list.

Luongo gave a 1 team list

Kesler did not go public with his trade request until after the trade.

Luongo went public with his trade request over a year prior to his trade.

Kesler wanted to be traded because he did not want to be part of a rebuild.

Luongo asked for a trade because Cory Schnieder started game 3-4 against the LA kings.

If you can put all this aside, the main reason everyone hates on Kesler so much is because he has a far more abrasive personality.

I personally respect both of these players for what they gave to our team while they were here. I won't however disrespect one over the other for essentially the same thing.

If you really look at it Kesler left for a far more noble reason. He left to win.

Luongo did not go to Florida to win a Stanley cup, he went to Florida to collect his millions and retire in isolation.

Kes didnt leave us for obscurity in Florida like Lu,...he left asking to be traded to a chief divison rival. And - if that hadnt been good enough or possible,.. he also asked to become a Blackhawk!! Gheezzz...c'mon!! That info was also extremely bothersome to most Canucks' fans.

That's the kind of insensitivity that this player had to his 'old fan-base',...which has apparently moved on from him, just as quickly & as easily as Kes has moved on from us. The only thing that might have spared him from boo's was a lengthier tribute video of his greatest hits while a Canuck. But the team didnt play that. I suppose they're saving that plum for a later date....when he retires. The reception he got was predictable. It's not like he went to Montreal or to Pittsburgh,...he chose the damn Ducks & all of the rivalry-venom that comes with that.

So welcome back, Kes! I hope that you enjoyed seeing your 'old' fans embrace your replacements as heartily as we once embraced you. Hope your RK-17 gear finds a more lucrative market-place in ANA. Your old team is doin' all right. We even have some flashy new heroes like Vrbata, Bonino, & Bo to applaud & fawn over, now....so askin' us to miss you like crazy.....well,...that order is just too big to fill.

Just heard Kesler post game interview and good job...way to put a guy down that gave it his all here and gave us the best years this franchise has ever seen. Even more pissed now that it came out of Kes's mouth...still don't get why we booed...honestly have some of the dumbest 'fans' at games, it's like they have a brain dysfunction or something. Idk what it is but they sure don't seem like knowledgable hockey fans.

B28wLSCCQAAmoiC.png

tumblr_lmvz2sToIT1qcog44o1_400.gif

Idiots.

This. Seeing the .gif again really makes me sad that we booed him so hard tonight...

Yes, we should just cheer for Kesler. We should all be so grateful that he graced us with his efforts all these years. Who cares if he demanded a trade because he thought the team sucked.

Screw Kesler. Love the booing.

Seriously?! We really DID have a BAD year, so it made him felt like we sucked. It makes sense! And let's be honest here...It's kinda' true, isn't it? We gave so many players their first NHL goal, hattricks and we didn't make the playoffs. It was extremely frustrating, we started to go downhill since losing Game 7 in 2011. Even Edler was ranked to have the most negative ratings (-39) out of the all NHL players. A lot of our players were slumping, we just fired AV too...Then in the end we fired Gillis. So all Kesler wants is to win the cup like now! We all know his personality has always been striving to win. He was such a fan favourite in 2011, now just because he wants to do what he wants for his life, he gets so much hate? I'm mad at him too, but I can never hate him. It's just wrong to hate him because he did so much for us over so many years. 10+years is a lot, and I'm not going to wipe it all away just because of his "betrayal" to us now.

Seriously?! We really DID have a BAD year, so it made him felt like we sucked. It makes sense! And let's be honest here...It's kinda' true, isn't it? We gave so many players their first NHL goal, hattricks and we didn't make the playoffs. It was extremely frustrating, we started to go downhill since losing Game 7 in 2011. Even Edler was ranked to have the most negative ratings (-39) out of the all NHL players. A lot of our players were slumping, we just fired AV too...Then in the end we fired Gillis. So all Kesler wants is to win the cup like now! We all know his personality has always been striving to win. He was such a fan favourite in 2011, now just because he wants to do what he wants for his life, he gets so much hate? I'm mad at him too, but I can never hate him. It's just wrong to hate him because he did so much for us over so many years. 10+years is a lot, and I'm not going to wipe it all away just because of his "betrayal" to us now.

Don't let a lot of the responses on here fool you. Most fans feel the same way you do, and those people who booed Kesler tonight are the same people everyone complains about constantly on these forums. The fans who can't remember past 1 season ago. God, I could have cut a knife through the air in the 3rd period when we had the lead in that arena judging by the TV tonight.

People seemed far more interested in staring at their phones + booing Kesler than cheering the team on when they had a good lead and were rocking. Ironically the team destroyed the Ducks when they had a couple quick goals and the crowd was on their side temporarily. Next period? Silence.

"My company got me this seat, #yolo" *check twitter for that smartphone update*

Lol at the Kes haters.

The majority asking for a top 4 D in a trade, that's gonna cost this team a good prospect and a high pick. Would you want to lose that with this draft class coming up and say lose a Gaunce?

That's gonna be the asking price.

Just heard Kesler post game interview and good job...way to put a guy down that gave it his all here and gave us the best years this franchise has ever seen. Even more pissed now that it came out of Kes's mouth...still don't get why we booed...honestly have some of the dumbest 'fans' at games, it's like they have a brain dysfunction or something. Idk what it is but they sure don't seem like knowledgable hockey fans.

Idiots.

You seriously don't know why we boo'ed him tonight?

The guy left us hanging, jumped ships, when we needed him the most. He took his ball home, sat in the corner, and cried until he got his wish, because he couldn't handle the media here. Did you ever see the Sedins leave us and go back to Sweden, way back when the media/fans were calling them the Sisters, for playing too soft? No. What about Edler, who been getting crapped on for the past 3 seasons by us, did he demand to be traded? No, in fact, he publicly stated, that he wouldn't waive his NTC.

As for Luongo, he did what's best for the team. He knew his time was up here, when both Schneider and Lack were outplaying him. So, he asked for a trade. He didn't leave us, when the team was at its low point, like Kesler.

You seriously don't know why we boo'ed him tonight?

The guy left us hanging, jumped ships, when we needed him the most. He took his ball home, sat in the corner, and cried until he got his wish, because he couldn't handle the media here. Did you ever see the Sedins leave us and go back to Sweden, way back when the media/fans were calling them the Sisters, for playing too soft? No. What about Edler, who been getting crapped on for the past 3 seasons by us, did he demand to be traded? No, in fact, he publicly stated, that he wouldn't waive his NTC.

As for Luongo, he did what's best for the team. He knew his time was up here, when both Schneider and Lack were outplaying him. So, he asked for a trade. He didn't leave us, when the team was at its low point, like Kesler.

it wasn't too long ago people here wanted edler out of here in a cardboard box, but he stayed loyal to this team. i'm not gonna cheer for someone who wanted out. he had one good year and we're supposed to worship the ground he walks on? get the **** outta here

:picard: as I am concerned...Booing Kesler was totally CLASSLESS....that only proves why the so called FANS rioted after game 7 .....majority of the "fans" are a bunch of a##HOLES....Kesler gave it his all each season he played as a Canuck....it is only human to want to a change and a fresh start...and VANCOUVER is notorious for running players out of town....

I hope he does great with the DUCKS....and they will make the playoffs....and the NUCKS....will be a question mark for sure....

Don't let a lot of the responses on here fool you. Most fans feel the same way you do, and those people who booed Kesler tonight are the same people everyone complains about constantly on these forums. The fans who can't remember past 1 season ago. God, I could have cut a knife through the air in the 3rd period when we had the lead in that arena judging by the TV tonight.

People seemed far more interested in staring at their phones + booing Kesler than cheering the team on when they had a good lead and were rocking. Ironically the team destroyed the Ducks when they had a couple quick goals and the crowd was on their side temporarily. Next period? Silence.

i get you wanna be a white knight, but it's really no secret that he wanted out. why would anyone cheer for that? why would you cheer for someone who didn't want to be here anymore? but want edler's head on a pike, or constantly rag on bieksa and want him gone, a guy who's going to be on this team until he retires, whether you like it or not-- someone who is a team player, who knows what it's like to come so close, but sticks around through loyalty-- to a team who gave him his break. kesler seems to disregard that, but does a good job at "saying the right things" to justify him wanting out

we seem to forget luongo (greatest goalie in canucks history), the one man side show, but somehow we LOVE ryan kesler

So disappointed in these kind of fans, it's because of them that Canucks fans are known to be worse and worse now. I bet even the current Canucks players felt we were classless because they obviously know how much Kesler did for us and played for the team for 10+years long...And yet, we end up giving him a 50/50 cheer-boo short ovation and boo him every time he touches the puck for the rest of the entire game? Embarrassing.

So disappointed in these kind of fans, it's because of them that Canucks fans are known to be worse and worse now. I bet even the current Canucks players felt we were classless because they obviously know how much Kesler did for us and played for the team for 10+years long...And yet, we end up giving him a 50/50 cheer-boo short ovation and boo him every time he touches the puck for the rest of the entire game? Embarrassing.

you obviously haven't been watching sports very long. happens in every league, on any team. not just limited to the vancouver canucks

The whole "he played his heart out while he was here" argument doesn't sit with me. Not when the way he left negates all that. That logic wouldn't apply anywhere else either. I'm not saying he should have gotten booed, but I'm not really upset that it happened either.

i get you wanna be a white knight, but it's really no secret that he wanted out. why would anyone cheer for that? why would you cheer for someone who didn't want to be here anymore? but want edler's head on a pike, or constantly rag on bieksa and want him gone, a guy who's going to be on this team until he retires, whether you like it or not-- someone who is a team player, who knows what it's like to come so close, but sticks around through loyalty-- to a team who gave him his break. kesler seems to disregard that, but does a good job at "saying the right things" to justify him wanting out

we seem to forget luongo (greastest goalie in canucks history), the one man side show, but somehow we LOVE ryan kesler

No need to love him, just acknowledge the guy.

Luongo wanted out just as bad as Kesler. At least Kes didn't go public until after the trade. He hasn't said anything negative about the team publicly. It woulda been a classy way to have closer for both the fans and Kes.

It's wrong.

you obviously haven't been watching sports very long. happens in every league, on any team. not just limited to the vancouver canucks

LOL, you don't seem to understand what I'm trying to say. For sure I've seen other players get this kind of "welcome" before too, (ex. knowing Dany Heatley's welcome from Ottawa had his Jerseys thrown onto the ice and booing him just when he comes onto the ice+whenever he touches the puck) but I'm implying that booing Kesler every time he touches the puck is a bit too much. Can't boo him just for a short while, huh? I mean, the biggest thing I felt horrible for was that the crowd can't even give him a 100% ovation full of cheers when the video clip was already made so short for him? We had boos with the cheers for his short ovation. Now that was what I felt was the worst of all.

No need to love him, just acknowledge the guy.

Luongo wanted out just as bad as Kesler. At least Kes didn't go public until after the trade. He hasn't said anything negative about the team publicly. It woulda been a classy way to have closer for both the fans and Kes.

It's wrong.

of course not. it would have been bad PR. the difference between lu and kesler was at luongo was witty enough to mask his displeasure though wise cracks on twitter, which the eastern media found amusing enough to bury this team and make a spectacle about it

LOL, you don't seem to understand what I'm trying to say. For sure I've seen other players get this kind of "welcome" before too, (ex. knowing Dany Heatley's welcome from Ottawa had his Jerseys thrown onto the ice and booing him just when he comes onto the ice+whenever he touches the puck) but I'm implying that booing Kesler every time he touches the puck is a bit too much. Can't boo him just for a short while, huh? I mean, the biggest thing I felt horrible for was that the crowd can't even give him a 100% ovation full of cheers when the video clip was already made so short for him? We had boos with the cheers for his short ovation. Now that was what I felt was the worst of all.

why would this team give that guy his own ceremony, when benning himself said "we want players who actually want to be here"?

they did kesler a favour and, at the very least, acknowledged him. the fans cheered for the short video thing, but that was it. that's all he got and that's all he deserved

Kesler demanded a trade

Luongo demanded a trade

Kesler gave a 2 team list.

Luongo gave a 1 team list

Kesler did not go public with his trade request until after the trade.

Luongo went public with his trade request over a year prior to his trade.

Kesler wanted to be traded because he did not want to be part of a rebuild.

Luongo asked for a trade because Cory Schnieder started game 3-4 against the LA kings.

If you can put all this aside, the main reason everyone hates on Kesler so much is because he has a far more abrasive personality.

I personally respect both of these players for what they gave to our team while they were here. I won't however disrespect one over the other for essentially the same thing.

If you really look at it Kesler left for a far more noble reason. He left to win.

Luongo did not go to Florida to win a Stanley cup, he went to Florida to collect his millions and retire in isolation.

that is true but let me add the key parts u didnt add.

Kesler gets caught talking about wanting out in sochi. Goes on record multiple times and denies it and and gives a sob story how he loves it here.(obvously didnt want to get booed)

he handcuffed the team from the start. thank god bones panned out

Luongo had no intentions of leaving intill the canucks publicly banished him and made him look like a total B****. they re sign cory to 4 years i think?

The team chose cory over lu , In my mind management had alrdy planned for lu's departure befor he even knew it.

than they dont trade him for 2 years which is a fricken joke and he still gives his all, while the fans are shitting on him.

This ones my favourite they end up trading cory and beg lu to come back, lu being the classy team player he is agrees and he lets by gones be by gones. Than the heritage classic comes around and LACK gets the start after all the years he gave. Managment nor owners dont step in and give lu the game. so ya its two diffrent cases. IF lu gets booed i will bomb rogers arena. he better get the biggest standing ovation in canucks history for bringing the team out the gutter , winning gold for vancouver fans to see on home ice and almost getting the stanley cup. on top of the crap he was put through

Yeah, I agree with the Kesler and Luongo situation.

Kesler had a lot to do with his departure, and his attitude stunk. He ditched the team because of one bad year, and demanded to be traded. Classless way to leave. He owes us no respect, but we don't owe him any either.

Luongo had no control over his departure. It was abrupt and we didn't get a chance to really say goodbye. He was always classy and had a team first attitude. He actually deserves some respect from the fans.

Luongo hand cuffed this team just as much as Kesler, he had all the control with 1 team as his destination. The only thing thats different between the 2 players is one is a bigger prick than the other.

Archived