The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Richardson the odd man out?

ROBORAT

I sort of agree that Richardson might be the one sitting out. He is a real good player for us and works hard every shift but the same problem LA had when they had him is happening to us. Sutter said, he felt so bad about not playing Richardson because he had to groom the young guys like Vey, Toffoli, Pearson and the only choice for him was to sit Richardson out. Basically, the same thing is happening.

Since the rookies (Vey and Horvat) needs to be groomed, the only other candidates are, Burrows, Higgins, Kassian, Matthias, Dorsette, and Hansen.

I think we can safely say Burrows and Higgins will not be scratched in favor of Richardson. Dorsette and Hansen bring elements that are dearly needed on this team and they are tenacity/grit, checking, and speed. So that rules Dorsette and Hansen out.

So this leaves Kassian and Matthias. Kassian will play... he may get scratched from time to time as a wake up call, but he contributes to the team in different ways than Richardson and his skill and physicality are needed on the team. That leaves Matthias as the only other candidate.

So in a nutshell it will be Matthias or Richardson that will sit out for the most part.

This.

It seems quite a few of you didn't read the entire post before commenting. I am not saying we should move Richardson. That would only hurt our depth and no one wants to see Sestito as our 13th forward.

Maybe I should have used a different title but controversy drives traffic. The question I'm asking is whether or not you see Horvat overtaking Richardson?

Let's not kid our selves, we're not beating the best teams in our conference with Richardson as our 3rd line centre. He's a very solid player, like someone said a stop-gap 3rd line centre. But if you watched the Chicago game you saw that Horvat's line was being given 3rd line minutes and the defensive zone draws that Richardson was being given previously. Can Horvat overtake Richardson? He's already shown it but can he keep it up? The coaching staff has already said Horvat is sticking with the team, he's not staying on the team to be the 13th forward that's for sure. If there's anyone in the lineup that's being given the role you would like to see Horvat take, it's Richardson.

You want to see younger players take veterans jobs and it looks like the coaching staff will give Horvat the opportunity to play a bigger role on this team.

This.

It seems quite a few of you didn't read the entire post before commenting. I am not saying we should move Richardson. That would only hurt our depth and no one wants to see Sestito as our 13th forward.

Maybe I should have used a different title but controversy drives traffic. The question I'm asking is whether or not you see Horvat overtaking Richardson?

Let's not kid our selves, we're not beating the best teams in our conference with Richardson as our 3rd line centre. He's a very solid player, like someone said a stop-gap 3rd line centre. But if you watched the Chicago game you saw that Horvat's line was being given 3rd line minutes and the defensive zone draws that Richardson was being given previously. Can Horvat overtake Richardson? He's already shown it but can he keep it up? The coaching staff has already said Horvat is sticking with the team, he's not staying on the team to be the 13th forward that's for sure. If there's anyone in the lineup that's being given the role you would like to see Horvat take, it's Richardson.

You want to see younger players take veterans jobs and it looks like the coaching staff will give Horvat the opportunity to play a bigger role on this team.

I think we need to call ourselves a 4 line team more than get hung up on who is 3C and who is 4c?

I commented earlier this week (this thread, another, cannot recall?) when someone suggested Horvat as 3C with Mathias and Kassian. My response was Horvat will be there for taking draws and defensive match ups. I suggested he should play with Hansen and Dorsett. As a line it had capacity to fore check, hit the corners hard, play with tenacity and Horvat added size down the middle. I did not expect them all to get 3 points last game, but... :P

It does not really matter who is called 3C. Kassians line could be free'd up to take a few more offensive zone shifts. Something we have all waited for for Jack.

Besides; Richardson and Kass seem to have chemistry. Richardson is teaching him how to play. And they are generating chances. That will serve Kass well when he gets called up to a 2knd line, and the guys have better finishing skills to close out some of his delicious dish attempts.

Back to it; Horvat with Hansen and Dorsett pls & who cares who is called 3c!

"Tostito can be sent to Utica and his entire salary wont count against the cap."

Can you explain this,please?

I thought Toast-tito has to come off IR and clear waivers to arrive in Utica.

TIA

well WHEN he comes off of IR, he can be waived. WHEN, and surely he WILL pass through, he and his cap hit can go to Utica. NHL teams are on the hook for any salary exceeding $.900k ....Do you fear anyone picking him up? If so, then they also take his salary and valuble roster spot.

I think thats how this can be done..... sound about right?

Tito is the only "odd man out".

Guys get injured, they slump, get suspended etc. When everyone is healthy the player needing the most motivation will be sitting out, pouting.

Internal competition will push kids like Vey and Horvat to be better than their best, they don't want to sit.

Guys like Matthias and Kassian need the threat of being scratched IMO, they can both be huge dumbasses at times, different dumbasses, but dumbasses none the less.

Richardson is fine, I don't know what you expect from him but he does a good job in the bottom 6, either wing or at C.

Tito don't mind sitting, Tito likes chairs, benches, beers and snacks. Can't chug beers on the bench ya know.

Richardson is a decent bottom 6 player, who was really supposed to be the team's 4th C. I think at some point Horvat will outplay him, which is fine. With WDs' system, it really doesn't matter which line you play on, you still get a chance to be a significant part of the team.

It will be a difficult decision for JB when it comes to trade deadline. At the moment, none of the prospects are ready to step into Richardson's role (Gaunce has been moved to wing, but he might be an option later in the season). It seems more likely that a prospect (or 2) might be ready to step into one of the W roles.

I'm cracking up reading the unrealistic defence of Kassian on here.

I am also amazed that people watching Matthias in recent games fail to see the kind of player we have longed for. The kind of player we thought Booth would be and wasn't and yes the kind of player we thought Kassian would be and obviously isn't.

Matthias has given himself a shake (probably due to encouragement by Willie) and has become a big net driving back checking, fore checking body this team has needed. He is in short becoming a "playoff" type of player.

Frankly if this guy had come up through our own system we would be all over him.

Vey too has out performed Kassian and I don't think with his (Vey's) history with Willie that the coach will put up with the under performing Kassian in favour of Linden Vey much longer.

Kassian IS a big body but he uses it less than ever now. He finds it difficult to win or keep the puck. He hardly ever drives to the net and his one redeeming feature at present is he can still make the occasional telling pass.

well WHEN he comes off of IR, he can be waived. WHEN, and surely he WILL pass through, he and his cap hit can go to Utica. NHL teams are on the hook for any salary exceeding $.900k ....Do you fear anyone picking him up? If so, then they also take his salary and valuble roster spot.

I think thats how this can be done..... sound about right?

He is a player on the team competing for first overall in the West.

I don't fear anyone picking him up but it would be good for all involved if he was.

I'm cracking up reading the unrealistic defence of Kassian on here.

I am also amazed that people watching Matthias in recent games fail to see the kind of player we have longed for. The kind of player we thought Booth would be and wasn't and yes the kind of player we thought Kassian would be and obviously isn't.

Matthias has given himself a shake (probably due to encouragement by Willie) and has become a big net driving back checking, fore checking body this team has needed. He is in short becoming a "playoff" type of player.

Frankly if this guy had come up through our own system we would be all over him.

Vey too has out performed Kassian and I don't think with his (Vey's) history with Willie that the coach will put up with the under performing Kassian in favour of Linden Vey much longer.

Kassian IS a big body but he uses it less than ever now. He finds it difficult to win or keep the puck. He hardly ever drives to the net and his one redeeming feature at present is he can still make the occasional telling pass.

Yeah, I can see what Matthias is trying to do but I can't help but think that he has the frame, but not the build. Like a giraffe. If Kassian decided to go that route though...

Richardon's great depth for this year, but we won't be re-signing him. He's played like a 4th line player the past couple of games and Matthias has been by far the most noticeable on that line. Give guys like Gaunce and Jensen a chance next season in our bottom 6.

It seems quite a few of you didn't read the entire post before commenting.

No, we read it. When Bo surpasses Richardson we still need a 4C, AKA Richardson.

Richardson isn't going anywhere until someone else steps up and shows they can be a better 4C than him.

No, we read it. When Bo surpasses Richardson we still need a 4C, AKA Richardson.

Richardson isn't going anywhere until someone else steps up and shows they can be a better 4C than him.

Even then we can keep him on LW. Always good to have an extra C in the lineup that can win faceoffs.

While I posted earlier giving my impressions, I'll try to repeat but more in the form of the questions you wished to pose. This doesn't really add anything to my earlier post, though-it just tries to reorganize to give the answers to your questions priority over the other issue raised.

Part of the problem, though, is a difference in perspective which becomes clear in my answer #2 below.

1. It is entirely possible Horvat will be better than Richardson by the end of the season. Some games he probably already is. I don't think that necessarily means Horvat has "surpassed" Richardson-see #2.

2. If Horvat is the better player that doesn't mean he and Richardson should change lines. I think Dorsett and Hansen are terrific linemates for Horvat. They're defensively sound, produce a bit of offence though that isn't their strength, help him by scooping up the puck on faceoffs where the centers didn't produce a clear result, both work hard and are veterans that can help him see and deal with his inevitable rookie mistakes, or perhaps just deal with things he hasn't seen in jr.

I think they are better linemates for a rookie center in general and Horvat in particular than Kass and Matthias. So even if Horvat at some time in the season is better than Richardson (and in some games he already is) I don't think he changes lines and I don't think Richardson should sit.

Sometimes chemistry between linemates doesn't last, and so this could change if the current Horvat line goes stale.

3. I hope that answers the questions you posed-though obviously our viewpoints are different and that means my answers don't fit your questions perfectly.

4. The title of the original post raises to my mind the issue of whether Richardson may become the odd man out for a different reason-not because of whether he plays better or worse than Horvat but mainly because of his expiring contract and the Canucks' options this year and next arising from that-but as you point out, that wasn't what you were looking for in your original post.

Archived