The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] VAN Alexandre Mallet + Pick :: NYI Andrey Pedan

Strombone1

Funny, I thought Vancouver traded a pick-a 2016 3rd rounder, plus a player, Alex Mallet.

Assumoing I haven't misunderstood ...

Estimating the value of a known player in the system is very different from an unknown future draft pick, because more is known about him.

Since he was drafted, Mallet is now in his 3rd year as a pro.

Year 1-played a few games in AHL but mostly played in the ECHL, scoring an unimpressive (for a 2nd round pick playing in the ECHL) 29 pts in 44 games.

Year 2-had an absolutely miserable year in the AHL-1 goal and 4 assists in 59 games.

Year 3-not good enough to make the Comets, demoted to the ECHL as a 22 year old.

The difference between Mallet and a random unknown 2nd round pick is that Mallet has been unimpressive enough since he was drafted to almost extinguish the chance that he'll develop into an NHL player. He's little more than a throwin from the Canucks perspective, no longer much of a prospect at all.

He doesn't have the value of a 2nd round pick. From a Canucks perspective, my guess is that they were just getting rid of a contract and had little if any interest in Mallet as a prospect.

Where did Mallet fit among Canucks' forward prospects and AHL players? Behind pretty much everyone-Jensen, Gaunce, DeFazio, Shinkaruk, Grenier, Kenins, Archibald, O'Reilly, Jeffrey, Acton, Cassels, Virtanen, McCann and others. Some of those aren't good prospects-but they were all ahead of Mallet at the time of the trade.

My reference point on Mallet is that people are all over this 3rd round pick, while not giving the same outrage to a former 2nd round pick that hasn't had a chance to show himself (doesn't need to we get it he's busting)

There's no need to bemoan the loss of a pick at this point because that's next year and anyone chosen at that spot, mid to late 3rd; will not make an impact for 3-4 years later at which point the twins are gone, our D has been recycled and changed and we are competing now somehow.

Mallet and a 3rd for a guy the likes of which we have been crying about wanting in our depth on the blue line for years, and now some are crying about it.

CDC logic

You actually think Dorsett's value = Pedan's?

He looks good so far, Benning can make trades, I'll admit that but I'd like to see an explanation of how he thinks an AHLer with bottom-pairing potential is somehow comparable in value to a NHLer.

I'm not a Benning hater but this trade doesn't make alot of sense, he must expect a NHLer out of Pedan.

Ummm Pedan is not Dorsett and vice versa. They don't equal other, they are unrelated, and that's not how draft picks are viewed.

There are actually things that matter in these deals like what type of player your organization needs, what assets you have, what is available.

Basing trades on whether a third round pick from 3 years ago is worth the value of a 27 year old pending UFA is an exercise in futility. It's like refusing to buy Cashews from the store because Peanuts are a better value. If you want Cashews and you need them you buy them. Who cares about their comparable value. Like I always have to tell people, this is hockey not the stock market. It's about getting the best players to win games, not building a portfolio of value based moves.

Plum is gettin' eaten up in here.

LOL!

To his credit, he is responding to the responses, though many of the main posters, Deniro, the Minister, etc have been very patient with him when it comes to him repeating his points and ignoring facts.

I think the part that got to me was when he said watching AHL players "was a waste of time", yet he was able to say that a player was regressing, based on scratches and ECHL time.

He's digging himself into a bigger hole.

I don't think he's worth as much as Dorsett do you? I'm talking about now, his value.

One talks oranges while the rest talk apples.

I think folks are trying hard to find a reason to get their panties in a knot over something. A 3rd round pick is not terribly valuable for a prospect.

Would seem knotted panties have some sort of appeal, especially ever-tightening them with uncompromising debate.

I'm pretty sure the only one doing that is Plum.

Even the other skeptical people are using a wait and see approach...

In fact, it's plum dumb.

He's digging himself into a bigger hole.

Bingo bango bongo. The more justification attempted, the bigger the cavern gapes. Need to know when to give it up.

Watching hockey of other teams in the AHL is a waste of time? I guess if you don't like watching hockey.I personally watch a lot of hockey at all levels because I enjoy it. You know if you tried it too you just might learn about players in the league so you don't have to read someone else's scouting report to form your own opinion. You could use accumulated knowledge and experience.

Yes, you did say you think he's regressed. Post 316. And you've implied it multiple times.

You still maintain in this thread that he's a borderline AHLer/ECHLer and a longshot to make the NHL but in the Pedan thread you think it's a good move and he'll play for the Canucks this year or next. Flippity floppity?

snapback.png

You don't understand that different players at different stages of their careers can be worth the same? Then you don't understand why some players get the same value in trades at the deadline and the offseason. Why a 21 year old can be traded for the same thing as a 38 year old, or for each other for that matter. That's simply your inability to see the bigger picture. Thankfully Benning can.

Prospects can be worth picks. Vets can be worth picks. Heck, even picks can be worth picks.

Yes, I maintain that Dorsett was worth a 3rd at the time. I think Pedan was worth a 3rd at this time. I'm with the GM in this one.

You don't know what to say because the evidence is against you. If Dorsett got traded for picks now or at the deadline what do you think he'd be worth?

I understand that potential is worth something, I get it. But we're talking about #5-6 potential and considering we already have many of those defenceman with that upside then it makes it even harder to understand.

We got a guaranteed NHLer with Dorsett, a really good 4th liner which is worth a 3rd, then we trade another 3rd for a low upside defenceman? Nothing guaranteed, just a prospect who's draft stock went down if anything after being drafted. But I mean, I guess we value potential differently.

Dorsett now, 1/4 into the season is probably a 3rd-4th still considering he's playing great as a 4th liner but he's also a UFA in the summer so at the deadline he's not worth as much.

What evidence is against me? I know Pedan has NHL upside, but it's potential while we got Dorsett for a 3rd, a NHLer.

Ummm Pedan is not Dorsett and vice versa. They don't equal other, they are unrelated, and that's not how draft picks are viewed.

There are actually things that matter in these deals like what type of player your organization needs, what assets you have, what is available.

Basing trades on whether a third round pick from 3 years ago is worth the value of a 27 year old pending UFA is an exercise in futility. It's like refusing to buy Cashews from the store because Peanuts are a better value. If you want Cashews and you need them you buy them. Who cares about their comparable value. Like I always have to tell people, this is hockey not the stock market. It's about getting the best players to win games, not building a portfolio of value based moves.

Yeah their value is similar, atleast to Benning. I don't get it, if you think Dorsett is = in value to Pedan well I just disagree. I understand his potential but it's potential, just that.

Pending UFA? Sure but it isn't like that should be a significant factor in the trade. A whole summer to negotiate and a whole season plus the off-season. We don't need a Pedan, his upside is what, a #5-6? We have a whole bunch of players like that with that upside in our prospect pool.

Not sure why we spent a 2nd rounder on a so-so overager, but at the time the Canucks sure were singing praises about it through the media.

Basically nobody cares about the draft here when the team is winning. But then LA picks up players like Pearson while picking up cups at the same time. Hmmm.

Pearson was an overager that LA spent a first on. Might have been 3oth overall, essentially a 2knd.

But he went through not one, but two full draft years undrafted. Little trivia note.

It doesn't frighten you that HE was the pick to be banished to the ECHL off an AHL roster? Bridgeport does have depth, but dang... a 3rd rounder is not chump change.

Are you just trying to come up with negatives on it in order to troll or are you actually this much of a pessimist?

Does everyone need to be reminded that we just traded for a big, good skating defensemen from the NEW YORK ISLANDERS. The isles have never been good at developing players and it shows or else they would be a contending team by now.

Mallet hasn't shown much in the canucks organization, they felt like he wasn't going to get better, therefore we traded him. Losing picks sucks but it's not like every round pick becomes an full time NHL-er.

Does everyone need to be reminded that we just traded for a big, good skating defensemen from the NEW YORK ISLANDERS. The isles have never been good at developing players and it shows or else they would be a contending team by now.

Mallet hasn't shown much in the canucks organization, they felt like he wasn't going to get better, therefore we traded him. Losing picks sucks but it's not like every round pick becomes an full time NHL-er.

I don't think it's necessarily a matter of Mallet not going to improve but more of a matter of trading something we don't need for something we need. Otherwise, why would NYI want Mallet if he wasn't going to improve?

Archived