The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Past Draft Rant Thread

Tom Sestito

Who would you have taken on the clock?  

111 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Going back a little, I was hoping the Canucks would have selected Jurco in 2011 rather than Jensen.

I cri evertim

I wanted Jenner back then, but was happy with Jensen.

Anyways I agree with all the Canucks draft picks but i'm torn between Ritchie and Virtanen. Still wish we could have pried the 10th pick away from anaheim

I wouldn't of changed nothing.

I am happy with who we drafted.

See, in hindsight, I am happy with who we drafted in the last two drafts, given that I now have a better understanding of what the blueprint of this team's future is now.

However, at the time of both the drafts, I would have made selections that would have given the future of this team a whole different outlook (more skill oriented).

I can't complain at all with what Benning is doing. :) I'm happy as long as we keep picking the BPA that fits Benning's blueprints, and that's what he's done so far.

I wanted Jenner back then, but was happy with Jensen.

Anyways I agree with all the Canucks draft picks but i'm torn between Ritchie and Virtanen. Still wish we could have pried the 10th pick away from anaheim

Who would you guys/gals have drafted with the #10 pick? Also, you need to keep in mind that we would not have drafted McCann, a centreman, since we most definitely would not get both of their firsts.

I probably would have gone with a European. Either Fiala or Kapanen.

Right now, it looks like we've passed on some better players but I wouldn't really think anything of it until this season is played and we see how big of a role they are playing and they're development.

This happens in every draft to every team. This is not some exclusive flaw in the Canucks drafting process.

Who would you guys/gals have drafted with the #10 pick? Also, you need to keep in mind that we would not have drafted McCann, a centreman, since we most definitely would not get both of their firsts.

I probably would have gone with a European. Either Fiala or Kapanen.

Julius Honka. Although I love Kapanen, a defenseman would have fit nicely at that pick.

Travis Sandheim would have been a good grab as well.

Chose Horvat Shinkaruk Virtanen and McCann because now those are our needs outside of RHD RHPMD and skilled LW/RW

Also because if we play this game I wanted Jagr back in the day as well, also upset we didn't draft Weber, Keith held Neely and so on and so forth.

Understand this thread and hope it clears the mess in the prospects threads up (sadly it won't) but we did what we did and I wouldn't change it for anything because at the end of the day I like to stand behind our drafted players.

I remember thinking the night before the draft how badly I wanted Nichuskin, it was really disappointing to think going into the draft that we had no shot at getting him, so when the trade was made you could only imagine how excited I was that we got the 9th pick & he was available. I like Horvat alot but I would definitely have taken him.

Virtanen I saw coming, as much as I wanted to believe JB would take someone else it was kind of my expectation, I still would have taken Ehlers though, he's been a beast for Halifax again this year.

I really wanted Scherbak at 24, my thought was go for high skill & high end potential at 6 with Ehlers then get the size/speed/skill at 24 in Scherbak, and of course I was again disappointed when we took McCann instead.

The only pick I was thrilled about when it was announced was Shinkaruk.

So if it were up to me, we would have Nichuskin, Ehlers & Scherbak instead of Horvat, Virtanen & McCann.

Our center ice position would definitely look weak but we would be loaded on the wings, (with 2 potential stars in Ehlers & Nuke) and then we would look to take a center this year with so many good ones being available. (alot more than last year)

I remember thinking the night before the draft how badly I wanted Nichuskin, it was really disappointing to think going into the draft that we had no shot at getting him, so when the trade was made you could only imagine how excited I was that we got the 9th pick & he was available. I like Horvat alot but I would definitely have taken him.

Virtanen I saw coming, as much as I wanted to believe JB would take someone else it was kind of my expectation, I still would have taken Ehlers though, he's been a beast for Halifax again this year.

I really wanted Scherbak at 24, my thought was go for high skill & high end potential at 6 with Ehlers then get the size/speed/skill at 24 in Scherbak, and of course I was again disappointed when we took McCann instead.

The only pick I was thrilled about when it was announced was Shinkaruk.

So if it were up to me, we would have Nichuskin, Ehlers & Scherbak instead of Horvat, Virtanen & McCann.

Our center ice position would definitely look weak but we would be loaded on the wings, (with 2 potential stars in Ehlers & Nuke) and then we would look to take a center this year with so many good ones being available. (alot more than last year)

I wasn't thrilled but then I looked at our C/LW positions.

Center men who could run the LW as well.

The only thing in this league that can garner more trade than a solid and dependable Center/LW is a PMD of top 4 caliber. In the future we will have a plethora of potential trade bait with value if we develop them right.

I wasn't thrilled but then I looked at our C/LW positions.

Center men who could run the LW as well.

The only thing in this league that can garner more trade than a solid and dependable Center/LW is a PMD of top 4 caliber. In the future we will have a plethora of potential trade bait with value if we develop them right.

I will say though, at 24 in this past draft, while I wanted Scherbak the most (and he is who I would have taken), Barbashev was a close 2nd, both I preferred to McCann, but even if we had taken Barbashev instead we would have got a center.

Not that I didn't like McCann, I had expected him to go before our pick, but I just really like Scherbak, especially after not taking Nichuskin the previous year.

Actually infact, I would think that if we had taken Nichuskin I wouldn't have wanted Scherbak as much since they do kind of play similar games, or atleast bring similar components, and perhaps I would have wanted a center more at our pick than Scherbak. Because really, that was my main issue with the McCann pick, was that with the 3 two-way centers we had taken in the previous few years it felt redundant.

I will say though, at 24 in this past draft, while I wanted Scherbak the most (and he is who I would have taken), Barbashev was a close 2nd, both I preferred to McCann, but even if we had taken Barbashev instead we would have got a center.

Not that I didn't like McCann, I had expected him to go before our pick, but I just really like Scherbak, especially after not taking Nichuskin the previous year.

Actually infact, I would think that if we had taken Nichuskin I wouldn't have wanted Scherbak as much since they do kind of play similar games, or atleast bring similar components, and perhaps I would have wanted a center more at our pick than Scherbak. Because really, that was my main issue with the McCann pick, was that with the 3 two-way centers we had taken in the previous few years it felt redundant.

As of right now I am certainly not arguing against what we have in our system as by and large most of all our CHL prospects are currently PPG or better players. Our current AHL crop is looking ok, transitioning fine, or ECHL players are doing ok and even our NCAA prospects are doing alright.

If we can look back in 5 years and still be happy with where our prospects are progressing I still won't worry or complain. In fact I might by GMMG a double double somewhere for the previous 5 years of poor drafting

what pisses me off

2006 draft - we took grabner, missed out on Giroux, Lucic

2007 draft - the patrick white vs david Perron fiasco

2008 draft - cody hodgson, missed out on Karlsson, Carlson, eberle and in the 2nd round, we took Yann Sauve and missed out on Harmonic, scandella, weiricoch

2009 - jordan schroeder, missed out on Ryan O' Reilly

2010 - ballard trade

2011 - Jensen, missed out on Jenner (we took a streaky winger over a hard nosed Canadian centre who played on the same team as this guy), brandon saad, John Gibson

2012 - Mallet, missed Damon Severson - kelowna rockets d man - really gillis? are you kidding me?

2013 - I am totally fine with Horvat and Shinkarurk, but again missed out on that big rugged d man from the W - theadore

point is we are rarely the team that drafts that gem, maybe 2013 and 2014 will change that with guys like shinkarurk, casuals, subban, tryamkin, mccann, but who knows.

every regime comes in and states "we need to draft better, we will draft better," but then they don't

what pisses me off

2008 draft - cody hodgson, missed out on Karlsson, Carlson, eberle and in the 2nd round, we took Yann Sauve and missed out on Harmonic, scandella, weiricoch

2010 - ballard trade

2011 - Jensen, missed out on Jenner (we took a streaky winger over a hard nosed Canadian centre who played on the same team as this guy), brandon saad, John Gibson

2012 - Mallet, missed Damon Severson - kelowna rockets d man - really gillis? are you kidding me?

2013 - I am totally fine with Horvat and Shinkarurk, but again missed out on that big rugged d man from the W - theadore

point is we are rarely the team that drafts that gem, maybe 2013 and 2014 will change that with guys like shinkarurk, casuals, subban, tryamkin, mccann, but who knows.

every regime comes in and states "we need to draft better, we will draft better," but then they don't

Except...really. if you think about it, our drafting over the last decade is still nowhere near as bad as the Oilers, Flames, Jets/Thrashers and even Panthers. The Isles, Jackets are doing a lot better now but in retrospect it's scary how bad we've been, but how bad others have is terrifying.

what pisses me off

2010 - ballard trade

Every single team in the first round passed on Ryan O'Reilly. Schroeder turned into a bust for us but he was rated highly by many and was considered to be a pretty good grab at #22. Detroit, considered by many to be a great drafting team, took Landon Ferraro one spot before O'Reilly.

The fact that these centres: Peter Holland, Louis Leblanc, Jacob Josefson, Jordan Schroeder, and Landon Ferraro were taken before Ryan O'Reilly says something about what people thought of him on draft day.

Nobody expected Ryan O'Reilly to be this good. That's why he was the 33rd pick of that draft.

Archived