The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Past Draft Rant Thread

Tom Sestito

Who would you have taken on the clock?  

111 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

what pisses me off

2006 draft - we took grabner, missed out on Giroux, Lucic

2007 draft - the patrick white vs david Perron fiasco

2008 draft - cody hodgson, missed out on Karlsson, Carlson, eberle and in the 2nd round, we took Yann Sauve and missed out on Harmonic, scandella, weiricoch

2009 - jordan schroeder, missed out on Ryan O' Reilly

2010 - ballard trade

2011 - Jensen, missed out on Jenner (we took a streaky winger over a hard nosed Canadian centre who played on the same team as this guy), brandon saad, John Gibson

2012 - Mallet, missed Damon Severson - kelowna rockets d man - really gillis? are you kidding me?

2013 - I am totally fine with Horvat and Shinkarurk, but again missed out on that big rugged d man from the W - theadore

point is we are rarely the team that drafts that gem, maybe 2013 and 2014 will change that with guys like shinkarurk, casuals, subban, tryamkin, mccann, but who knows.

every regime comes in and states "we need to draft better, we will draft better," but then they don't

Since when is Theodore a big rugged Dman? He's a midsized offensive defenseman.

And its not like drafting gems is easy, we did pretty good getting Corrado in 2011 & Cassels in 2013 (even though that was only in the 3rd round)

point is we are rarely the team that drafts that gem, maybe 2013 and 2014 will change that with guys like shinkarurk, casuals, subban, tryamkin, mccann, but who knows.

every regime comes in and states "we need to draft better, we will draft better," but then they don't

Some of those guys may be gems, sure. But i can't stand casuals. Slow, lazy, and he plain acts like he doesn't give a damn game in, game out.

What would the Canucks look like if they had just drafted the best player available according to NHL central scouting? If they would have a better team then get rid of the scouts and just draft from the list.

Just the next best player, according to central scouting, not a player that everyone missed, that panned out.

Flames picks since 2003, first through 3rd rounds.

2003: Phaneuf, Ramholt, Donnally

2004: Chucko, Prust, Boyd

2005: Pelech, Baldwin Ryder (dan)

2006: Irving, Armstrong, Marvin

2007: Backlund, Negrin

2008: Nemiesz, Wahl, Bouma

2009: Erixon (tim), Howse

2010: Reinhardt (max) Leach

2011: Beartchi, Granlund, Wotherspoon

2012: Jankowski, Sieloff, Gillies (jon)

2013: Monahan, Poireir, Klimchuk, Kanzig

2014: Bennett, McDonald, Smith, Hickey

Now let's look at the Oilers

2003: Antione Pouliot, McDonald, Jacques, Zhukov (mikhail)

2004: Dubnyk, Schremp, Tesliuk, Paukovich

2005: Cogliano, Chorney, Syvret

2006: Petry, Peckham

2007: Gagner, Plante, Nash (riley)

2008: Eberle

2009: Paajarvi, Lander, Hesketh, Abney

2010: Hall, Pitlick, Marincin, Hamilton, Martindale

2011: Hopkins, Klefbom, Musil, Perhonen, Ewanyk

2012: Yakupov, Morov, Khaira, Zharkov

2013: Nurse, Olivier Roy, Yakimov, Slepyshev

2014: Draisatl

Now the Jets/Thrashers

2003: Coburn (Braydon)

2004: Valabik, Lewis Lehman

2005: Bourett, Pavelec, Denny

2006: Little, Holzapfel, Forney

2007: Machachek

2008: Bogosian, Lavielle, Paquette

2009: Kane, Klingberg, Morin,

2010: Burmistrov, Melchiori

2011: Scheifele, Lowry, Serville

2012: Trouba, Sutter (Lukas), Kosmachuk

2013: Morrisey, Petan, Comrie, Lodge, Lipon

2014: Ehlers, Glover (jack)

Now the reason I posted this for the first 3 rounds only is because that is where teams have the highest successes in picks that become players. We all bemoan our current draft choices but by comparison I just listed 3 teams that have every season drafted either within or around the top 15 where as we are usually up around the bottom 15 or higher. We also had numerous years under Burke, Nonis and Gillis where we had no 2nd or 3rd or even 1st round picks

We all worry about how bad it was but by comparison when you look at draft rankings...yikes we could have done so much worse.

• 2 weeks later...

There was a big broughhaha about Horvat over Nichuskin and how Gillis screwed up with the pick. The thing that bothered me about Nichuskin was at the combine when he snubbed the drills and had to take a rest half way through last season because he was getting tired. Horvat doesn't strike me as a kid that needs a rest, just plays harder and better as the season gets tougher. Nichuskin will no doubt score more but Horvat will be used in more critical situations in all aspects of the game. Drafting Virtanen makes Nichuskin moot.

• 3 weeks later...

I will say though, at 24 in this past draft, while I wanted Scherbak the most (and he is who I would have taken), Barbashev was a close 2nd, both I preferred to McCann, but even if we had taken Barbashev instead we would have got a center.

Not that I didn't like McCann, I had expected him to go before our pick, but I just really like Scherbak, especially after not taking Nichuskin the previous year.

Actually infact, I would think that if we had taken Nichuskin I wouldn't have wanted Scherbak as much since they do kind of play similar games, or atleast bring similar components, and perhaps I would have wanted a center more at our pick than Scherbak. Because really, that was my main issue with the McCann pick, was that with the 3 two-way centers we had taken in the previous few years it felt redundant.

Gaunce is now a LW.

Archived