The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Yannick Weber Appreciation Thread

Dazzle

Guest Dasein

If Weber continues to help the 1st PP unit click, one has to wonder if JB will keep him moving forward

Keeping Weber means moving one of Clendening or Corrado

Corrado is waiver eligible next season and wouldn't make it to utica. I'm hoping JB can snag a pick at the draft for Weber, there is just no room for him next season.

This board contains lots of contrary views to yours on that very technical question. I was assuming them to be correct. Whatever the case, I doubt we'd get much for Weber at the draft, given that he's UFA. We clearly do have a logjam at depth right D, though, so one way or another, something's got to give.

Yannick's play has been great lately. Stanton was struggling defensively and it's the right call to sit him.

Dude is expendable this off-season with Corrado coming up and also to Weber perhaps looking for a raise with the career season in goals.

It seems like every player that's been in the dog house with the CDC has been a force on the ice recently. Bonino, Vey and Weber have all been playing their best games this year lately. The weak links are no longer (well maybe except for Bieksa and Hamhuis, but they're near the end). If Weber keeps this up there is no way Benning trades him. We need a D-man who can shoot on the PP and Weber and Edler on the backend make for a dangerous blue line.

I've always liked his speed. There are so many times I see him successfully pinching and keeping the puck deep in the offensive zone. And if he fails on a pinch, he has that speed to help bail himself out.

I caught that Youtube video you posted recently, not bad at all.

That's high praise coming from me because I have the attention span of a 6 year old hopped up on Skittles and Mountain Dew.

Thank you. The content may be good, but the editing was still awful. I also had mix and matched different mics to test them. Once I buy a more powerful video editing laptop I intend to start creating more content like that, including podcasts. For now I'm just writing articles and sharing my thoughts with the CDC.

The thing that makes Weber such a great 6th/7th defenceman, is his versatility. He has the rare ability to hop around anywhere in our lineup, and can play with pretty much anyone on the roster. He's not going to be lights out with them, but he seems to be one of those guys, people find easy chemistry with. INCREDIBLY valuable come playoff time, and times of mass injuries. The man was hopping around game after game, playing with Hamhuis, Edler, Stanton, etc, after being scratched etc. Any slot that really needs filling, you can plug Weber in, and he will be solid. Add on top of that he is one of our better offensive defensmen, has one of our hardest and most accurate shots, and the vision and ability to quarterback a PP, what's not to like. I'm soooooo glad Yannick Weber is finally getting some recognition. He's a hard worker who really wasn't handed many freebees. Works hard and earns what he gets.

The way Weber is playing right now and with his shot from the point on the power play, I don't know how we could afford to let him loose this summer. I'm a Bieksa fan but, at this point given the age difference (Weber is only 26), I would sooner keep Weber. JB is going to have some tough decisions to make with Corrado, Stanton and Clendening in the wings. I think Weber is stronger than Corrado at this time but the upside for Corrado may be higher given that Corrado is only 22. For a team that was short of D prospects, the future looks good. Also, I hope we can keep one of Bosang or Biega in Utica for next year.

Reading the older comments, those that naysayed Weber are just wrong with their assessments.

Desi, in the meantime, would rather see a player fail during the most important time for the team to prove a point.

We are not all Canucks with desi in.

Watch Weber in the playoffs, and you will see why he should be gone. When teams hem this team in the zone and cycle around with it's big bodies, then you can see what Weber is going forward. lol

LOL at your blind hatred of Weber, I feel way more comfortable with weber on the backend compared to Stanton or Corrado. Sure weber is a little small but he can make plays out of our zone and get us moving up ice. Sometimes he can't but you can't expect a 6th/7th defense to be able to be a Shea Weber or Duncan Keith. He's a very capable dman and I for one hope he stays next year in favor of Stanton

Man, Weber is only 26. His best seasons are ahead of him. It might be worth it to hang on to him especially with Bieksa and Hamhuis rapidly declining. As we've seen you can never have enough d-men when injuries hit.

The way Weber is playing right now and with his shot from the point on the power play, I don't know how we could afford to let him loose this summer. I'm a Bieksa fan but, at this point given the age difference (Weber is only 26), I would sooner keep Weber. JB is going to have some tough decisions to make with Corrado, Stanton and Clendening in the wings. I think Weber is stronger than Corrado at this time but the upside for Corrado may be higher given that Corrado is only 22. For a team that was short of D prospects, the future looks good. Also, I hope we can keep one of Bosang or Biega in Utica for next year.

Agree that we have to be looking at a succession plan for Bieksa at this time next year. Weber should get serious consideration as at least a bottom pairing guy going forward, and has shown he can step up. It would be hard to cut this guy loose but the fact is that we have 5 right D (Tanev, Bieksa, Weber, Clendenning, Corrado) competing for 3-4 slots. On top of that, we probably want to keep Stanton as an extra left D. Something is going to have to give. One scenario is that we keep 8 D instead of 7 on the 23 man roster next year.

Archived