The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Matt Cooke highsticks Weber then turtles

Webster6

seriously the hate Cooke get is pathetic a lot of you act as if he is the only player in the NHL doing stuff like this and if anyone actually bothered to watch him play which i am sure a lot of you haven't except for some random highlights to illustrate your point in making him out to be the dirtiest player in the NHL you would realize how he changed and i am not the only one who thinks so several analysts across various platforms have stated this

i'm not defending what he did but the blind hatred for this former player is disgusting on this board i bet a lot of you still think he cut Karlsson on purpose

Yeah cause Cooke hasn't earned his reputation at all right? I couldn't stand him when he was here he's reckless and dumb and for the 5-10 goals he'll score he puts you on the pk 30-50 times a year. Honestly can't see why anyone would support him unless you're related to him.

I'm saying if you go antagonize a monster like Weber after a clean hit, then drive your stick into his chin because you're a dirt bag. At least have the balls to drop the mitts and attempt to defend yourself, otherwise you look like a coward. He turtled to avoid taking too much damage. Obviously Weber has a massive size advantage, and can out-muscle him but Cooke still made himself look like a little girl by poking the bear and attempting to flee the situation like a coward. He hit the deck the second the bombs started dropping. Spineless play, and was feeble in the aftermath of the inevitable response.

You may be also saying that, but you straight up - in the title of the thread even - called him out to say he high sticked him then turtled. There was a bit more that happened in between, with Weber rag dolling Cooke right after the high stick. If that title wasn't the majority of content for your OP, you might have a better explanation as to what you meant rather than inferring he straight up dropped to the ground and curled up like an armadillo at the first sign of trouble.

Cooke poked the bear and got worked for his efforts, but he didn't run away. Maybe if he had room and time to do so he would have, but we'll have no idea since he didn't even have time to get his gloves off before Weber was throwing him around.

You'd cover up too if you ended up face first on the ground with a much bigger person over top of you throwing punches.

lol @"pulled down" cooke's a turtling coward always was always will be.

You don't have to like Matt Cooke (I'm not much of a fan) but you also don't have to make it sound like he was Phil Kessel swinging at John Scott and then looking for an out. They were tangled up the whole time and Weber tossed him around like a much larger guy should.

Never mind covering up, I'd like to see you not get pulled down in that situation.

You may be also saying that, but you straight up - in the title of the thread even - called him out to say he high sticked him then turtled. There was a bit more that happened in between, with Weber rag dolling Cooke right after the high stick.

Cooke poked the bear and got worked for his efforts, but he didn't run away. Maybe if he had room and time to do so he would have, but we'll have no idea since he didn't even have time to get his gloves off before Weber was throwing him around.

You'd cover up too if you ended up face first on the ground with a much bigger person over top of you throwing punches.

You don't have to like Matt Cooke (I'm not much of a fan) but you also don't have to make it sound like he was Phil Kessel swinging at John Scott and then looking for an out. They were tangled up the whole time and Weber tossed him around like a much larger guy should.

Never mind covering up, I'd like to see you not get pulled down in that situation.

the difference between me and cooke, i go down swinging not drop willingly like a little b****.

You're an idiot.

C'mon man, that's not going to help anything. He may be uneducated on the subject, but still...

the difference between me and cooke, i go down swinging not drop willingly like a little b****.

Again, he had a little help getting thrown to the ice. Until you call up Weber and see if you can keep him from tossing you to the ground before you get a chance to drop the gloves and swing at him, I think we'll still consider the laws of physics in effect.

how is that turtling?

Weber got some decent shots in to take Cooke down

i would also gather people don't watch Cooke very much if at all and use a couple of incidents like the Karlsson one to claim he hasn't changed his ways yet the stats say otherwise

Agree. This is not turtling. People are letting their opinion of Cooke skew what happened. At least Cooke accepted the fight. As for the "turtling" Weber just got some good punches in and got Cooke down. If anything I'd be disappointed in Weber for punching a guy while he was down, breaking the code.

The only reason people aren't freaking out about that is because it was against a guy who used to be a dirty hitter. It's unfortunate that people still hate on Cooke even though he's changed his game.

For statistical proof of his changing game, look at his PIM.

2007-2011 - 300 games, 427 PIM

2011-2015 - 230 games, 145 PIM

Take your blinders off and give the man some credit for cleaning up his game.

Isn't it obvious what happened here? Minny down 3-1 with 2 minutes left, Coach pats Cookie's shoulder and tells him to make somethin happen. He goes out and tries to pull a penalty on Shea, which he does cause Shea doesn't take $&!#. Now Minny pulls their goalie and it's a 6-5 and Nashville doesn't have Weber. Just a desperate attempt to win by the coach.

Agree. This is not turtling. People are letting their opinion of Cooke skew what happened. At least Cooke accepted the fight. As for the "turtling" Weber just got some good punches in and got Cooke down. If anything I'd be disappointed in Weber for punching a guy while he was down, breaking the code.

The only reason people aren't freaking out about that is because it was against a guy who used to be a dirty hitter. It's unfortunate that people still hate on Cooke even though he's changed his game.

A rats always a rat. He hasn't changed, proof is in the video.

I believe that the official was doing his job. But then again this is an NHL zebra. What constitutes as their job is really up in the air these days.

Anyone know who the zeeb was that took the Weber meat hook to the back of the cranius?

Please let it be either Devorski or O' Halloran. Please, please, please.

^ Ha,ha,ha,ha,...Devorski or O'Halloran?! Not likely!

History shows us that those 'old school" characters care very little about player-safety. More than likely, they'll just let the grunt linesmen tackle jobs like that.

These 2 keep their faces pretty for posters-pics on the NHLOA's web-site. They're already banking on becoming big-wig faces of the league some day, once they're awarded jobs within the league's Head Offices for ALL of their...good 'game management' skills ,...& extremely 'compliant' attitudes.

Anyone ever see Bertuzzi fight. He is so strong he basically just grabs the guy, throws him around until he gets off balance, and then throws as hard as he can.

Same thing with Weber and Cooke. Weber is insanely strong, throws Cooke of balance and then gets leverage on him an starts punching down.

I don't like Cooke at all, I think he doesn't give a crap about any other player and only started to care when he was going to be out of a job.

how is that turtling?

Weber got some decent shots in to take Cooke down

i would also gather people don't watch Cooke very much if at all and use a couple of incidents like the Karlsson one to claim he hasn't changed his ways yet the stats say otherwise

Yup. Well said.

The cooker has changed his game and people in the hockey world don't even watch him play and who just see the odd incident on sportscaster all just pile on him.

Cooker will always be one of my favourite canucks. Terrific agitator and great skill set.

It looked like they were going to fight before the highstick anyways. Both had a shot or 2 at each other from what I could see. I wouldn't say he is back to his old ways (no way am I defending him though) but it looks to me like an isolated incident where emotions were run high.

I agree with the people saying Cooke didn't turtle. It looks more like Weber was too strong and Cooke lost his balance. Obviously on the ground with Weber over top of him he's going to cover up. Didn't look like he intentionally backed down.

I'm not exactly defending Cooke, because he's a dirty guy but hasn't been nearly as dirty as he used to be.

don't get people saying he wasn't turtling. he was hugging webers leg lol

I saw that replay last night. From what I saw, Cooke saw Weber coming at him and brought his stick up to cross-check him in the face. Shea didn't take it well...

However, Cooke did not turtle...at least not right away. He stood in there for a few seconds while Weber fed him three or four knuckle sandwiches, then he decided that he'd best get his face out of harms way and tried to bury his head in the ice. (with limited success)

He got what was coming to him, IMHO...

For those who say Cooke / Karlsson, I say Kassian / Bolland.

Both were accidents but the Kassian one won't be trashed on until he's traded.

For those who say Cooke is dirty and turtles, I offer up, Ruutu, Cooke (he was a Canuck you remember that right?), Lapierre, Burrows. All of those players are punks who need their clocks tuned, but to act like Cooke is the only one is not right.

For those who say Cooke / Karlsson, I say Kassian / Bolland.

Both were accidents but the Kassian one won't be trashed on until he's traded.

For those who say Cooke is dirty and turtles, I offer up, Ruutu, Cooke (he was a Canuck you remember that right?), Lapierre, Burrows. All of those players are punks who need their clocks tuned, but to act like Cooke is the only one is not right.

no one is acting like Cooke is the only one this is a topic about Cooke ergo people are posting about Cooke and there is plenty of things to discuss regarding Cookes dirty/cowardly play. What do Lapierre Ruutu and Burrows have to do with Cooke/Weber which is what this topic is about?

Cleaning up your game isn't reducing your PIM totals, it's removing the reckless decisions when other players are in vulnerable positions, or taking cheap shots. Two things Cooke has yet to do.

Cleaning up your game isn't reducing your PIM totals, it's removing the reckless decisions when other players are in vulnerable positions, or taking cheap shots. Two things Cooke has yet to do.

Maybe it's just me, but his name seems to be coming up a lot less in suspension talks these days. In the last 4 years, he's been suspended just once, a marked improvement over his previous history.

Not too many people mentioned that Weber did the first cheap shot on the boards?

The Cooke gave him a shot back to tell him to frack off. Then Weber figured he was entitled came at him and Cooke hit him in the chops. That was the high stick. Then Weber went berzerk.

Problem is, like in real life, the 5'11 195lb guy is playing with fire by coming back at a 235 lb guy in the first place.

Logic says he asked for it?

Still sulks for any small guy!

Archived