The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

nhl goalie market has opened up (proposal) (discussion)

wings and sharks flyers and wild oilers leafs need a actual starter

isles devils sens could use a decent back up

do we keep lack and markstrom? or trade markstrom or do we trade miller to sharks i really like lacks game id wanna keep him but we need a pp qb dman with a shot and offense as well as a mean shutdown dman weber sbisa stanton could be packaged id rather corrado than all three of these guys from here on in any ideas guys

Too early to make a trade IMO. If anything, trade Markstrom, but even so, he's destroying in the AHL. Maybe we keep both and when Miller leaves, we have an epic tandem?

why would you trade Markstrom but not lack, that makes no sense

Niemi has the same 0.912 save % as Miller. And has no worse record in the playoffs the last three years. Won a cup 4 years ago and was a Vezina finalist just 19 months ago.

Lack is probably an upgrade on Stalock? Stalock who was a lot of rhetoric by their GM, but is NOT better than Niemi. He was insurance because they do not have a pipeline of Lack, Markstrom, Eriksson and Demko...

But somehow I just do not see them giving us a solid piece for a backup?

That is, not unless they cannot / do not sign Niemi in the summer!

why does oilers and leafs need a goalie again? Both teams invested in Scrivens, Fasth, Bernier and Reimer respectively. Just cause they are playing badly doesnt mean it's their goalies that need to be upgraded nor do their goalie's contracts suddenly disappears.

Friedman: "Just a team to watch that has goaltender depth - Vancouver. Long term they've got Eddie Lack, Markstrom in the American Hockey League. Wouldn't be surprised if teams called them to see what they're thinking of doing."

Friedman: Jimmy Howard was hurt tonight. Did not finish the game. Steve Mason was also injured.

Cox: Minnesota Wild is looking for a goalie. "Chuck Fletcher, the GM of the Wild, is looking for a goaltender. He's looking everywhere. They have lots of cap space, which makes people think, 'What about Cam Ward of Carolina?' Doesn't seem like the Wild are interested in him. Maybe their interest is in the Buffalo tandem of Jhonas Enroth and Michal Neuvirth."

Lack's proven that he can play in the NHL, Markstrom hasn't. But as I said, it might just be best to keep both for when Miller leaves.

Gonna be tough to do since both Lack and Markstrom would have to clear waivers if either are to be sent down to AHL over the next couple of seasons as Miller's contract plays out. Only way Canucks pull off what you're suggesting is if they carry three goalies, which I doubt they do...IMO, no way either Lack or Markstrom clears waivers next season.

One of Eddie or Marky will have to be traded if the Canucks don't want to carry three goalies on the NHL roster from 2015-2016 and beyond (though I wouldn't be opposed to moving Miller sooner than later).

wings and sharks flyers and wild oilers leafs need a actual starter

isles devils sens could use a decent back up

do we keep lack and markstrom? or trade markstrom or do we trade miller to sharks i really like lacks game id wanna keep him but we need a pp qb dman with a shot and offense as well as a mean shutdown dman weber sbisa stanton could be packaged id rather corrado than all three of these guys from here on in any ideas guys

Couple things.

1) the oilers don't need a goalie for the rest of the season

2)Ottawa doesn't need a backup

3)Wings don't need an "actual starter"

4)none of our goalies make the sharks better in net.

why does oilers and leafs need a goalie again? Both teams invested in Scrivens, Fasth, Bernier and Reimer respectively. Just cause they are playing badly doesnt mean it's their goalies that need to be upgraded nor do their goalie's contracts suddenly disappears.

leafs and oilers both have 2 career backups not starters they are sieves goalies that have .750 save percentages are usually on losing teams lack and markstrom are better than all 4 of thoughs guys

Couple things.

1) the oilers don't need a goalie for the rest of the season

2)Ottawa doesn't need a backup

3)Wings don't need an "actual starter"

4)none of our goalies make the sharks better in net.

oilers still need a goalie for future starter regardless howard ripped his groin looks serious neimi is a free agent next yr

leafs and oilers both have 2 career backups not starters they are sieves goalies that have .750 save percentages are usually on losing teams lack and markstrom are better than all 4 of thoughs guys

Here's the thing. Neither Markstrom nor Lack have really shown they're any better than the goalies Edmonton has

Obviously somebody has to be moved. The question is who will fetch the most return and when.

We on the outside can't do much more than guess when the best offer might come. Certainly a few injuries to other goalies increases the overall demand.

Even with Miller being really good lately after a mediocre run in November-early December, with a contract with a salary of $6 million per through 2017, being 34 yo and having a modified ntc, it would appear really unlikely he'd be a trade candidate.

Lack has been good overall though Canucks haven't played well for him. His stats are pretty decent-2.41 GAA and a .918 sv%. He's been a good teammate despite a sometimes difficult situation, both last year's handling under Torts when the pressure was on and the team crumbling, and early this year while WD established a clear #1. It's hard to know what his trade value is-but I'd guess it's less than his ability would suggest because his time as a starter under Torts didn't go well.

Markstrom's value is lessened by the fact he's never succeeded in the NHL.

If the Canucks believe in Markstrom (and I'd suggest they have reason to) the obvious person to trade seems to be Lack, despite the fact he might easily go elsewhere and become a solid or even exceptional starter. Markstrom's trade value is probably lower and as noted above it's highly unlikely the Canucks will trade Miller.

Obviously JB will be aware of the situation and I'd expect he would accept an offer if he thought it was about as good as he's likely to get by waiting.

Archived