The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] VAN-CBJ, Bring Connauton Back

I forget which trade we lost Kevin Connauton in (I think it was a Derek Roy move) but since growing with the Texas AHL farm team this kid has come alive, and now has 7 goals and 11 points in 21 games with Columbus. The kid knows the Cancucks organization well and spent some time with Desjardins too, and right now he is EXACTLY what the Canucks need - a sturdy, big and strong 24 year old left handed defenceman. He's basically playing like Edler did in his prime right now.

Columbus would of course be wise to keep a stud young D-man like Connauton but he's only getting 15-16 minutes a night behind a lot of better established defencemen who don't look like they'll be giving up minutes any time soon.That team has a LOT of good puck moving defencemen but not many sturdy shutdown, defensive-minded guys (whereas our defence is the opposite).

TO CBJ: Stanton + 2nd round pick (or 3rd if we can work it)

TO VAN: Kevin Connauton

Why Columbus does this: They're 13 points out of a playoff spot and don't look like they'll be making up ground, so might as well rebuild. Giving up a young stud like Connauton would hurt which is why getting back a physical shutdown young guy like Stanton helps, and in such a deep draft a 2nd round (or even 3rd) would go towards their rebuild. Columbus' defence becomes better rounded and they get a pretty good future player with the 2nd rounder for the future.

Why Vancouver does this: We have too many physical defencemen who can't score any points like Tanev, Bieksa, Stanton and Sbisa, so bringing in a puck mover is exactly what we need. We'll have Corrado and Subban coming up soon too, leaving us with far too many right handed defencemen so a lefty-for-lefty swap is nice and balanced. Giving up the 2nd isn't ideal but it's worth snagging a guy who will play 20 minutes next season and hopefully pot 40 points.

Edler - Tanev

Connauton - Bieksa

Hamhuis - Sbisa/Corrado

Not gonna happen. Connauton was waived in Dallas because he was outplayed heavily and that's despite Dallas having one of the weakest bluelines in the NHL at the start of the season. The reason he's doing well in Columbus is because they're giving him easier ice-time.

The Canucks need a d-man who can handle his share of the heavy lifting and be the main guy on his pairing, not someone who we'll need to shelter and does not have a strong shutdown game. Think a left-handed Bieksa, but not as tough.

EDIT: not to say the proposal is bad, the value is not far off. But if we're giving up a 2nd for him, think about this:

K-Conn + 2nd for Derek Roy (lost to UFA)

Stanton (waiver pickup) + 2nd for K-Conn

At the end of the day adds up to two 2nd's & Stanton for K-Conn who was in our system to begin with.

Two 2nd round picks does not make up the difference in current playing ability or even future potential.

One could also argue that Stanton is a more valuable d-man as he has been a nice surprise in the role we have used him in.

I thought we learned at school not to put people down, OP spent a lot of time writing this post. We should debate like children because at least they know not to hurt other children with there words. The adults on this forum are acting like senior citizen with a single minded view.

I was confident that Connauton would become a good goal scoring dman in the NHL, but just needed a shot.

He would have failed here the same way he failed in Dallas. He sucks defensively, but has elite skating and shooting ability. AV/Torts and even WD wouldn't have patience or feed quality ice time to a player like this. Columbus, being a bad team that didn't score many goals, thought "what the heck" and threw him in an ideal situation and he is flourishing.

I was confident that Connauton would become a good goal scoring dman in the NHL, but just needed a shot.

He would have failed here the same way he failed in Dallas. He sucks defensively, but has elite skating and shooting ability. AV/Torts and even WD wouldn't have patience or feed quality ice time to a player like this. Columbus, being a bad team that didn't score many goals, thought "what the heck" and threw him in an ideal situation and he is flourishing.

He would fit in great with us because Hammer/ Juice/ Tanev/ Staton/ Sbisa have the worst slappers int he NHL. We should be looking for a D partner for Elder!

Wasn't Willie his coach on the farm in Dallas? I think he would know a thing or to about him and advise for or against acquiring him....if he was at all on the Canucks radar anymore which he likely wasn't.

We should be looking for a D partner for Elder!

Because the Edler/Tanev pairing is just garbage right? I mean Tanev's slap shot isn't that hard, so he's obviously not fit to be a top pairing defenseman. Strong defensive play and good breakout passes don't matter, it's all about having a hard slap shot, right everyone?

Archived