The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brodeur retires

Goat James

i don't get why some people put so much value in playing an entire career with a team. does it really matter? is it just like a sentimental talking point? how in any way is his career improved or lessened by playing for one, two, three more teams?

Yeah, no kidding.

It's not like Bobby Orr and Ray Bourque are thought of any less because they played their last two seasons out of Boston.

awesome career!

I've been lucky enough to see all of Brodeur's, Roy's, and Hasek's careers...probably down to Roy and Brodeur from what I've seen.

And good on him for trying another season, to be in his position and be almost forced aside while part of a club you have been loyal too for all those years must not have been easy. Had every right to prove to himself he could continue and be a solid contributor with another club. His choosing to join St.Louis taints his career in no way IMO.

Yeah, no kidding.

It's not like Bobby Orr and Ray Bourque are thought of any less because they played their last two seasons out of Boston.

I don't think any less of his career for playing on another team, but it's such a rare thing to have an amazing career like that, all with one franchise. In the end it's not a huge deal, but I still think it's a shame in the same way that it's a shame that Linden didn't play his whole career with the Canucks. It doesn't change what he did for us, but it's like a loose end that can never be taken care of. Statistical OCD if you will.

I was hoping he'd get to 700 wins, but oh well he still had a fantastic career regardless.

It's surprising to see him join the Blues instead of the Devils. Many NJ fans likely thought he'd have a management role there when he retired.

And also that means Luongo becomes the active leader in wins, shutouts, and saves :P

i don't get why some people put so much value in playing an entire career with a team. does it really matter? is it just like a sentimental talking point? how in any way is his career improved or lessened by playing for one, two, three more teams?

I think playing 1/3 of the games for the NJ Devils in his final season, getting a semi-send-off tour, and being a more co-operative mentor to his replacement as he made his exit from the eastern division,... would have been a far better retirement strategy.

Sure. He would have had to concede that he was no longer goal-tending supremacy at present,...but like Gretzky - the inevitable farewell tributes would have been good to experience and see, in those buildings who may have chosen to salute him. Just sayin'...

EDIT: I guess finishing-out the year being an Asst.-GM for the Blues organization, has a better chance of gettin' his name on the Cup than being a NJ Devil this year, anyway. Let's see what the future holds him. Brodeur may likely return to the Devils' fold - someday.

He should have retired a career Devil. It's a shame really, but still one of, if not the most impressive goalie careers of all time.

End of an era.

Why, what does that matter about anything.

Yeah I don't get it either. It just goes to show a lot of people that follow hockey have never played it. What difference could it make to anyone that he kept trying? That's a positive not a negative but I guess some people are more concerned with a legacy that isn't theirs anyway and a useless stat, which is meaningless.

Best goaltender ever

Nope, Patrick Roy was the best ever.

Perhaps there is more to Marty not finishing things in NJ than we know..

This part makes no sense to me either.

^

^^

The whole Cory Schneider thing might have made him a little bitter?

Anybody have the Luongo / Schneider, number two, or number one bathroom skit?

Jersey must be a mess organizationally. You'd think that Marty would almost certainly have a job there...if he wanted it.

I hope it's not as simple as "I wanted to be the starter, but you went with someone younger because I'm old and not good enough to be the starter."

If this is the case, on one hand I understand why he'd feel that he deserved one last crack at it, due to how many records the guy holds. Even though I personally think he was overrated, I can't argue with what the stats prove.

On the other hand, however, the guy's production fell all considerably over the last few years, and it's understandable why the Devils didn't want him as a starter.

I think Hitch and Armstrong asked him to stay in some capacity, and Marty simply didn't want to bail on them just like that and head to NJ where we've had enough returning faces for one year.

There is some sourness from Devils fans but ultimately they will get over it for the guy that was the backbone and linchpin through out most of the team's greatest moments. And undoubtedly the team's most shoe in Hall of Famer to date.

Give me your avg team..something like we have now.(NOT a dominant D like the Dev's)

Say it's the late '90s, & your team HAS to win a game to survive.

I'd take a prime Hasek over prime Marty, 10 out of 10 times.

Oh yeah, agreed.

Imagine Hasek playing behind Stevens and Niedermayer, in the Devil's airtight system... They would have won even more cups.

Archived