The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[REPORT] James Wisniewski on the block

Hope the Canucks aren't in on this. Wouldn't want to part with the assests we'd have to give up for him. I'd rather trade for Skinner before I would for Wisniewski, and I don't even know if I'd want to trade for Skinner.

However, I can see Columbus getting lots of phone calls from contenders though.

Here's the problem with trading for Wisniewski. He would fill a need for a puck moving defenseman And someone on the back end who's chippy. However, Hammer and juice are UFA at the end of the next season. We aren't at cup winning contention yet. We get him and then have to lose 1 of the 3 of them by that time. When in reality, Jordan Subban will likely be ready to step in and play some games in that role by then.

Scratch that. Wisniewski has 3 more seasons, not 2. Hmmm. It may just work!

Told James Wisniewski's list of 10 no-trade teams was put together in a way to make it more difficult for #CBJ to trade. In other words ...

... teams with no cap room and no need for offensive defensemen were approved, while teams with glaring need/cap room were on no-trade list.

Aaron Portzline@Aportzline 6m6 minutes ago

Told James Wisniewski's list of 10 no-trade teams was put together in a way to make it more difficult for #CBJ to trade. In other words ...

Aaron Portzline@Aportzline 5m5 minutes ago

... teams with no cap room and no need for offensive defensemen were approved, while teams with glaring need/cap room were on no-trade list.

Wow...I understand why he did that, but that's kind of D-baggy.

1. Without dumping a fair bit of cap space, Vancouver would have trouble managing his cap hit of $5.5 million, especially next season.

2. I've seen nothing but a bit of speculation to indicate why, if the rumours are true, Columbus wants to trade him. Presumably Benning would find out before trading for him as the reason may or may not be troubling to the Canucks.

3. He's a good player but seems the wrong age for the Canucks which isn't short of players in their thirties with mid-high level cap hits. Not only would Wisniewski add to the number of Canucks in their thirties, it must be remembered that at his age it is pretty much a certainty his production will slide by some amount over the 2 + seasons left on his contract.

4. This is similar to #1 above, but this would leave 5 Canucks defencemen on mid-high range cap hits next season.

Cap Hits

Wisniewski 5.5

Edler 5.0

Bieksa 4.6

Hamhuis 4.5

Tanev ? 4+ ?

Of course we don't know what Tanev's salary will be next year and the range of what people are speculating is pretty wide, but everyone probably agrees he'll get a good-sized raise. If one fills out the rest of the defence by including Sbisa, then it's easy to see Canucks' defence coming close to $30 mm. Add Miller, Markstrom and retained hit on Luongo brings another $8 million or so (Markstrom is a RFA so his salary for next year isn't set.) If the cap next season is about $71.6 million (my present guess taking into account NHL pronouncements and the state of the Canadian dollar) that leaves about $34.6 million for 13 forward roster spots-or about 48.3% of the available cap space for a position that takes up 56.5% of the roster spots and starts with 4 players taking $23.5 of the $34.6 million. By themselves, without a raise for Matthias, Hansen, Bonino, Matthias, Kassian, Dorsett and Horvat would take up the remaining space, leaving nothing for the last 3 spots-and I've already left Higgins and Richardson out of the mix.

It's possible to juggle so that the Canucks could make the cap using several players on entry level contracts and clearing away several veterans. Trading Higgins (limited ntc) and not re-signing any of Matthias, Dorsett and Richardson to use players on entry level contracts would leave the Canucks under the cap, if the Canucks decided that was the way they wanted to go. The important thing to realize is, obtaining Wisniewski could severely reduce the portion of the salary cap available for forwards.

5. The Blue Jackets have a weak team and it isn't organization that I'd expect Edler, Bieksa or Hamhuis waiving a ntc to join.

6. It's hard to imagine the Blue Jackets wish list including an aging defenceman. They're more likely to want some combination of good core player in his prime, high pick and prospect. Canucks have almost none of the first to give up and are on record that they won't move a pick or prospect for immediate help, which position makes sense imo. Accordingly, it's really hard to see Canucks giving the Jackets what they'd want for Wisniewski.

7. Without Wisniewski, Vancouver already has an excess of defencemen who if kept would have to be exposed to waivers to send to the minors. It isn't necessarily a hard problem to deal with-trades, waivers or deciding not to re-sign pending free agents are all possibilities, but it should be realized the issue exists and Wisniewski would be taking a roster spot from someone younger unless that younger player is traded to make room for him. Below are defencemen who could be under contract and their ages as of January 1, 2016. Any one of them being sent to the minors would have to be exposed to waivers. Canucks this year have used 8 of their 23 roster spots for defencemen since Sestito was waived-before that it was 7.

Wisniewski (31)-Edler (29)-Hamhuis (33)-Bieksa (34)-Tanev (26) makes 5. That leaves spots for only 3 of:

Clendening (23)-Corrado (22)-Sbisa (25)-Stanton (26)-Weber (27)

8. If the rumours are true, we don't know whether Vancouver is on the Wisniewski's list of teams he would or wouldn't accept a trade to.

Canucks could get around any of these issues (except #8 if it is an issue) but taking everything into consideration the chance that Canucks will trade for Wisniewski seems very small.

It doesn't make sense for the Canucks for multiple reasons. He has a substantial cap hit at $5.5 million. He is 31 years old at the tail end of his prime. Has a history with injuries; this will only get worse as he moves higher in his 30's. We have a few good D prospects in our system in Sbisa, Weber, Clendening, Corrado, and Stanton (and when I say good, I mean can hold hold their own). These are in addition to Edler, Tanev, Bieksa, and Hamhuis. And if we really wanted to go the route of upgrading a D-man, there are some quality free agents at the end of the season that will likely be available: Franson, Boychuk, Staal. We also have a potential in Subban in the next year to bounce between the Comets and have a crack at the team - he played excellent in training camp this year.

Straight across for Edler? At this point in his career eddy is about to turn into Salo health-wise

Wisniewski is already approaching Salo-like territory. The guy misses multiple games every season for a plethora of injuries.

Concussion, broken finger, broken foot, broken ankle and few mysterious UBIs & LBIs.

Archived