D.Sedin. H.Sedin. Kassian

Burrows. Bonino. Vrbata

Matthias. Vey Jensen

Kenins. Horvat Hansen

Edler. Tanev

Hamhuis. Beiksa

Sbisa. Clendening/Corrado

Miller / Lack.

Move Higgins in the off season and if anyone makes a push for the team then move other players accordingly. But basically this line up and starting easing Lack in with more games

Baertschi Bonino Vrbata seems too soft

I agree.

Danny Hank Vrbata

Baertschi / Bonino / Kass Nice blend of size, speed and talent IMO

Jensen / Horvat / Burrows

Dorsett / Mathias / Hansen

Kenins / Vey (13 guys on roster, but reality is at least one is VIRTUALLY always injured)

Baertschi on the 2nd line and Burrows on the 4th is hilarious.

You're right. Sven needs to be on the 4th line to be an energy player. We need him on the top PK and to be a net front presence on the #1PP. Also the occasional fight and getting under opposing player's skin is mandatory.

Burrows will have sheltered minutes on the 2nd line while getting 2nd PP time. He needs to produce because he is an one dimensional but highly offensive skilled player that cannot PK, bring energy or be the spark plug on our team like Baertchi.

Baertschi on the 2nd line and Burrows on the 4th is hilarious.

To paraphrase an early Burrows statement: I'll carry the water bottles if I get to wear that crest!

Now that was when he broke in. But he said something similar when he went down and played with Horvat and Dorsett earlier this year. And it coincided with Horvat really getting started.

Burrows is the consummate team mate. Will do whatever he is asked and bring his lunch bucket!

And it would be GREAT if we our talent was good enough to push him to the 4th line. Teams like Detroit always have guys like Dan Cleary on their 4th line. Or Abdelkader. And you know what? When Tatar has a bad game, guess who gets shifts in the 2knd and 3rd periods with Datsyuk???

I think ice-time will depend on a few things. Who knows if the Sedins can keep this production up any longer. I think they'll be down to 60 point producers next year, but still be our top line because we don't have anyone who can do any better.

As for our 2nd line, I think Bonino is about to get bumped to the 3rd line because of how well Horvat's playing. Didn't expect this to be so soon, but I think Horvat will score 20 goals and 50 points next year. He has done nothing but improve every single game, he's always a threat on the ice and never a liability. Unsung hero for sure this season but next year he'll be one of our MVPs if he continues to grow the way he has so far.

In terms of veterans, I think Benning is going to let a few of them walk but will try and hold on to some guys.

What I think our roster will look like post-draft day to start next season:

Sedin - Sedin - Vbrata

Higgins - Bonino - Burrows

Kenins - Horvat - Hansen

Baertschi - Matthias - Kassian

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Sbisa - Clendening

Weber

What I'd like to see happen at draft day and what our 2015-2016 roster would look like:

1) Trade Higgins for a 2nd round pick to just about anyone who wants to contend.

2) Trade our 1st round pick + Cassels + Sbisa's rights for the 7th overall pick. Whichever struggling team it is, they'll want youth and that's what Cassels/Sbisa are. Draft Strome. Keep him cooking in the OHL for a year, he'll be our future 1st line center (not Cassels).

3) Boston lost their next two 2nd round picks for nothing it seems. Give them our new 2nd round pick + Jensen for Joe Morrow. Jensen's expendable thanks to Baertschi, he's a big skilled guy that Boston will love. Essentially one A-grade prospect for another but Morrow's better so they get the pick. There's our future 1st pairing defenceman. I think he's ready for sheltered minutes in the NHL, or bounce between Utica and Vancouver.

Suddenly we have a future 1st line center who is elite (as opposed to a fringe future 2nd line grinding center like Cassels), and a future star defenceman (instead of a bunch of fringe top-4 defencemen like Corrado, Clendening etc.).

This also means we can inject a lot of youth into our roster and roll with this:

Sedin - Sedin - Vbrata

Baertschi - Bonino - Kassian

Kenins - Horvat - Hansen

Vey - Matthias - Burrows

Gaunce/Shinkaruk (deserve call-ups during the season)

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Clendening

Morrow - Bieksa

Corrado

Stanton

Either Higgins or Hansen has to be moved at the draft to re-gain first or second round pick. I honestly prefer Kassian to be moved, more value, inconsistent play, and when he's not contributing, he's a liability. But God knows CDC will go apeshjt, if anyone mentions shipping Kassian out. So, the next best choice would be Hansen.

A possible destination for Hansen to waive his NTC, might be Winnipeg. His wife is from there and he's familiar with the city. Hansen and one of Stanton or Clendenling might be enough to get their second, first round pick from the Kane-Myers trade.

Sbisa is another trade options, for a pick or two.

Matthias is a no-brainer to re-sign. He could be Hansen's replacement on the 3rd/4th line.

I would love to keep Richardson, but we need as much cap space as possible to sign Tanev, and a PMD (Franson) in free agency. There are younger options for his replacement.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Bärtschi - Bonino - Kassian/Vey

Higgins - Horvat - Matthias

Kenins - Gaunce - Vey/Dorsett

Dorsett

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Franson

Stanton - Bieska

You're right. Sven needs to be on the 4th line to be an energy player. We need him on the top PK and to be a net front presence on the #1PP. Also the occasional fight and getting under opposing player's skin is mandatory.

Burrows will have sheltered minutes on the 2nd line while getting 2nd PP time. He needs to produce because he is an one dimensional but highly offensive skilled player that cannot PK, bring energy or be the spark plug on our team like Baertchi.

Baerstchi on the second line isn't sheltered minutes. Playing higher up in the lineup means you play against better players. He could easily not produce on the 2nd line. Just look at Vey who was absolutely terrible in the top 6 (okay that guy just sucks no matter where he is).

And it would be GREAT if we our talent was good enough to push him to the 4th line. Teams like Detroit always have guys like Dan Cleary on their 4th line. Or Abdelkader. And you know what? When Tatar has a bad game, guess who gets shifts in the 2knd and 3rd periods with Datsyuk???

Well if Baertschi proves he is capable of being a second line winger, then he could move up to the 2nd line. But there is no way we can just gift him a top 6 spot right off the bat like we've been doing with Vey (who's failed miserably). Also, the double standard with Kassian.

I corrected my earlier post about Jensen being waiver eligible. He has another year of exemption, as do Grenier and Kenins. Baertschi of course we know is waiver eligible next year though, as are Corrado, Clendening, Vey, etc. so we'll see them on the roster most likely.

Just my 2 cents...

This is how I see the Canucks organization shaping out to start 2015-2016:

CANUCKS (projected 23 players under contract):

Centers: (1) Hank ---- (2) Horvat ---- (3) Bonino ---- (4) Richardson (ufa)

Right Wing: (1) Kassian ---- (2) Vrbata ---- (3) Hansen ---- (4) Dorsett (ufa)

Left Wing: (1) Daniel ---- (2) Baertschi (rfa) ---- (3) Matthias (ufa) ---- (4) Higgins

13th forward: (13) Vey ---- platooning with Baertschi, Kassian and Richardson

Left D: (1) Edler ---- (2) Hamhuis ---- (3) Sbisa (rfa) ---- (4) Stanton (rfa)

Right D: (1) Tanev (rfa) ---- (2) Bieksa ---- (3) Clendening (rfa) ---- (4) Corrado (rfa)

No. 6 Platoon: Clendening, Stanton and Corrado

Goal: (1) Miller ---- (2) Markstrom (rfa)

Odd man out: Alex Burrows (sorry to all Burrows fans...me included. But for his cap hit, IMO, we've got others in the line up who can do what Burrows can do).

COMETS (21 players under NHL contracts; 5 players under AHL contracts):

Center: Gaunce ---- Cassels ---- O'Reilly* (ufa) ---- Friesen (rfa) ---- Acton* (ufa)

RW: Jensen ---- Conacher (rfa) ---- Grenier (rfa) ---- Defazio (ufa)

LW: Kenins (rfa) ---- Shinkaruk ---- Zalewski (rfa) ---- Archibald* (ufa) ---- McMillan (rfa)

Extra: Fox

LD: Pedan (rfa) ---- Andersson (rfa) ---- Cederholm/Hutton** ---- Erhardt* (ufa)

RD: Biega (ufa) ---- Sanguinetti (ufa) ---- Subban (unsigned) ---- Huskins* (ufa)

G: Eriksson ---- O'Connor** (unsigned...would be nice)/Cannata (rfa)

KWINGS (4 under NHL contracts; 2 under AHL contracts)

C: Valk* (ufa)

RW: Holmberg* (ufa)

LW: Blomstrand

RD: Blain

LD: McEneny ---- Cederholm/Hutton**

I wouldn't complain all that much if Blain had the final year of his contract terminated. Does anyone see him having a legit shot at making the NHL? I don't (based on his play at Young Stars tourney last summer).

*Comets/AHL contracts -- if we could get Huskins to sign an AHL contract it would be great for younger d-men coming up

**If the player signs -- hopefully we can get O'Connor to sign with the 'nucks.

I think that Kenins will start the year in Utica as he will not need to clear waivers to do so and we are short on space.

Baertschi is guaranteed to make the squad (or else we've wasted a 2nd when he gets claimed on waivers), and can only really play in the top 6 (smaller scoring winger). As a result, our top 6 is set, more or less, as:

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Baertschi Bonino Vrbata

Horvat will obviously be our 3C, not much dispute there. Similarly, Matthias will be resigned, as will Dorsett. Management will want to keep Vey, but he may be our 13th forward.

I'd have a 3rd line of:

Matthias Horvat Hansen

The 4th line is interesting. I give Gaunce a shot at it next year. Burrows won't be easy to move

Dorsett Gaunce Burrows

This leaves Higgins the odd man out. Management will be all too aware that Jensen, Shinkaruk, Virtanen and Kenins could all be pushing into the squad in 12 months' time. Burr, Higgins and Hansen could be moved at any time. A second from Montreal, NYI and Winnipeg respectively would be a good return.

Edler and Tanev is our clear top pairing excluding any UFA moves by GMJB. Hamhuis, Bieksa, Clendenning and Stanton will all be around for sure. I'd like to keep Sbisa, but not for 2.9 million. Hopefully he gets offer sheeted, especially for 3.4 million+ as we'd get a 1st and a 3rd (C'mon Nonis, you can do it!). Corrado and Weber for the 7 and 8 spots?

Lack will go at the draft to bump us up a few spots, I reckon.

lol, I enjoy your sarcasm bud.

Matthias is the 2nd best center on the team right now and Horvat is 3rd best.

Matthias should be centering the 2nd line, he is the power center this team needs to compete in the Pacific

Give him an opportunity at 2nd line center and he may go easy on his contract negotiations.

1) Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

2) Bone - Matthias - Vrbata

3) Baertschi - Horvat - Burrows

4) Kenins - Richardson - Dorsett

This lineup looks beast on papper, an older kassian, horvat, kenins, baertschi could do wonders

I see J.B. sticking with the plan. The Canucks might fall off a bit, possibly just missing the playoffs. I think they will finish 18th league wide, which isn't so bad considering where they finished last year. This gives them the 13th overall pick- which hopefully they could draft local boy Barzal. As far as lines i think they would look something like this:

LINE #1- SEDIN, SEDIN, KASSIAN

LINE#2- BURROWS, HORVAT, VIRTANEN

LINE#3- MATTHIAS, BONINO, VRBATA

LINE#4- KENINS, VEY, DORSETT

Obviously, with that line up changes occurred, so here the changes;

1. Bieksa to a middle of the road contender like Washington for their 1st(19th overall)and a prospect(Carrick from the Caps)

2. Richardson UFA

3. Higgins- 2nd 2015

4. Hansen- 2nd 2015

5. Markstom+ Jensen- prospect+3rd

Corrado and Clendening can pick up the slack with Beiksa gone...

Archived