The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2016 NHL Entry Draft [June 24-25th || Buffalo, New York]

23 hours ago, J-Dizzle said:

I don't know who we're going to pick but I have a feeling Jake Virtanen is going to love them.... He'll no longer be the lightning rod among the fan base and media :D 

It'll be a plus to have someone as the keystone prospect ahead of him.. maybe it helps him just do his thing with a little less distraction.

3 hours ago, Odd. said:

I don't know what video you're watching then. Other than they both can shoot the puck, they're two different players. Nylander creates plays and dominates offensively, Virtanen finishes plays and plays a PWF game.

The only reason why I want Dubois over Nylander is that Dubois has the size advantage(6'3 205) whereass Nylander is 6'1 184. Dubois also has a complete game, and excels at many other things. Both Dubois and Nylander possess high end IQ that's tough to teach. 

Otherwise, Nylander would be my choice at 5th if Dubois is gone. I could see Calgary taking Nylander with the 6th pick (he's a hometown kid too).

Though I want to see the Nucks move away the Swedish model with the next wave of players, if JB picks Nylander, I wouldn't be terribly upset.  I liked his game in the world juniors and from games ice seen in his Jr season, I just want to see a tougher team to play against.

2 minutes ago, Diamond NHL said:

Right now I want nylander at 5, we took the gritty forward with skill in 2014, now I think we should get that high end skill we desperately need

You don't put up 107 points without high end skill. People need to take a closer look at Tkachuk if they think he's another Virtanen.

If they passed on William Nylander and traded away Shinkaruk there's no chance in hell they're drafting Alex Nylander.

4 hours ago, numb3r 16 said:

I don't mind a trade for a top 10 pick and then picking up juolevi/chyc/sergy

I don't think anyone would mind that but I'm not coughing up Demko + to get it. 

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

You don't put up 107 points without high end skill. People need to take a closer look at Tkachuk if they think he's another Virtanen.

If they passed on William Nylander and traded away Shinkaruk there's no chance in hell they're drafting Alex Nylander.

He did trade a 2nd for Baertschi though.....

Not intentionally picking on you tonight DeNiro fyi

I've kinda come around on Nylander. Before I wanted nothing to do with him, but now he's looking like an attractive piece to have. I don't think his skill is nearly as high as Williams's, but he could fit in better with our group than him. I also don't think his shot is as good as most people say it is, but it's not bad. To me, his calling card is his playmaking. Playing him with Boeser could be deadly, as they can both pass and shoot. Add in Horvat and that could be a pretty good line.

Nylander - Horvat - Boeser

Baertschi - McCann - Virtanen

Granlund - Gaunce - Etem

That group does take away from our toughness build, but adds more skill. I don't think Benning would go for that though, which I can agree with. We are still in the early stages of our retool, high end skill should be one of the last things we add. 

7 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I've kinda come around on Nylander. Before I wanted nothing to do with him, but now he's looking like an attractive piece to have. I don't think his skill is nearly as high as Williams's, but he could fit in better with our group than him. I also don't think his shot is as good as most people say it is, but it's not bad. To me, his calling card is his playmaking. Playing him with Boeser could be deadly, as they can both pass and shoot. Add in Horvat and that could be a pretty good line.

Nylander - Horvat - Boeser

Baertschi - McCann - Virtanen

Granlund - Gaunce - Etem

That group does take away from our toughness build, but adds more skill. I don't think Benning would go for that though, which I can agree with. We are still in the early stages of our retool, high end skill should be one of the last things we add

Can you elaborate on that please?

14 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

Even more reason why we wouldn't draft Nylander.

With Baertschi, Granlund and possibly Rodin in the top 9 we already have enough smaller skilled guys.

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Even more reason why we wouldn't draft Nylander.

With Baertschi, Granlund and possibly Rodin in the top 9 we already have enough smaller skilled guys.

This. Tkachuk or Dubois at 5th make the most sense. If we're going for high end skill at all it'll be Stamkos during free agency. 

29 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

we traded a late second rounder for him, not investing a high pick like a 5th pick on a Nylander right now. 

totally different. I'm sure Benning does value Skill, i'm sure all GM's do, it's how we aquire them. I personally believe, Tkachuk can generate as much offence as Nylander while probably doing more, such as playing with grit and heart, not to mention we kinda added a skill guy last year with out 1st round pick who needs no introduction.

3 hours ago, stawns said:

Though I want to see the Nucks move away the Swedish model with the next wave of players, if JB picks Nylander, I wouldn't be terribly upset.  I liked his game in the world juniors and from games ice seen in his Jr season, I just want to see a tougher team to play against.

By tougher, do you mean difficult to defend offensively.

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Etem have had 107 points at WHL even, he does not look like a high end skill to me

8 minutes ago, Cowardrobertford said:

Etem have had 107 points at WHL even, he does not look like a high end skill to me

The difference is that Etem only had 107 points in his draft+2 season. 

Speaking of draft+2 seaons, Max Domi had 102 points in 57 games in his draft+2 season playing with Dvorak and Marner.

Tkachuk had 107 points in 57 games this season, his draft season, playing with the same linemates. This is why I still wouldn't mind Tkachuk at 5th overall despite all the good things about Dubois.

Archived