The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2016 NHL Entry Draft [June 24-25th || Buffalo, New York]

7 minutes ago, Hedman said:

I think out of the players projected to go top10, Nylander is the most underrated of them all. There's barely any talk about him. He has had a really good year, scoring some pretty clutch goals, and he was great in the WJC20. He's definitely Mississaugas best player, and that team doesn't exactly lack talent. I think a team picking him outside the top5, possibly Calgary, could get a real steal in the draft. Honestly, i think he's offensively talented enough to go top5, but teams always fancies the big skilled guys that can skate, like Dubois and Tkachuk, those players are automatically valuable, and they've also been really good this season. I don't mind Dubois or Tkachuk at all, that's the guys i want at our spot personally, but i also don't think anyone should be upset if we're picking Nylander, which i do think is EXTREMELY unlikely though. He's going to be a really good player.

I don't think he's THAT similar to his bro though. There are similiarities for sure, but they're still different players. William is the guy that relies on pure skill, he's a top6 guy that will thrive in that role, but if he wasn't good enough to play in your top6, he would probably struggle playing in a grittier bottom 6 role. Alex is also skilled, but he's also a bigger and tougher player than William. He's not as good of a skater as William though (William is an excellent skater) and Alex's vision is also not as good, even though he's actually a good playmaker. I think he's a safer pick/player than William was/is, given he's bigger and tougher, but his ceiling is probably not as high as William's, even though that isn't necessarily bad, because William had and has amazing potential.

A lot of people (not you) mentions that Alex isn't as talented or as great as his brother, therefore he's not as good. Well, neither are Dubois or Tkachuk tbh. Just because the Nylanders are brothers doesn't necessarily mean that they're the exact same players, and that you can compare them that way, because they're not. And just because Dubois and Tkachuk's potential might not be as high as William's, doesn't necessarily mean that they're worse prospects or worse players than him. They're all good at different things.

For the bolded part, actually, Alex has better vision than William according to scouts. His hockey IQ is absolutely off the charts. 

Other than that, I agree with you. If we pick Alex, I will not be mad. 

IMO, I want Dubois/Nylander/Tkachuk in that order. 

Alex is a treat to watch. He's so electric out there, every time he blazes through the neutral zone, you'll suddenly come off your chair. Much like Horvat this year on those end to end rushes or how he rockets through the defense out of nowhere. 

He'll shine Rogers Arena.

1 hour ago, Odd. said:

For the bolded part, actually, Alex has better vision than William according to scouts. His hockey IQ is absolutely off the charts. 

Other than that, I agree with you. If we pick Alex, I will not be mad. 

IMO, I want Dubois/Nylander/Tkachuk in that order. 

Alex is a treat to watch. He's so electric out there, every time he blazes through the neutral zone, you'll suddenly come off your chair. Much like Horvat this year on those end to end rushes or how he rockets through the defense out of nowhere. 

He'll shine Rogers Arena.

That comes down to the semantics of what you consider vision. I'd say William does more to create for his teammates and see the ice from that perspective, while Alex does more to create for himself and find opportunity where there otherwise isn't anything.

But, for what it's worth, ISS just ranked Nylander ahead of Tkachuk and Dubois in their May ranking:

Rank-Name-Position-Team-League

1 - Matthews, Auston - RW - Zurich ZSC - SuiA 
2 - Puljujarvi, Jesse - RW - Karpat - FinE 
3 - Laine, Patrik - LW - Tappara - FinE 
4 - Nylander, Alexander - RW - Mississauga - OHL 
5 - Dubois, Pierre-Luc - LW - Cape Breton - QMJHL 
6 - Tkachuk, Matthew - LW - London - OHL 
7 - Brown, Logan - C - Windsor - OHL 
8 - Chychrun, Jakob - LD - Sarnia - OHL 
9 - Jost, Tyson - RW - Penticton - BCHL 
10 - Sergachev, Mikhail - RD - Windsor - OHL 
11 - Juolevi, Olli - LD - London - OHL 
12 - Keller, Clayton - C - NTDP USA U18 - USHL 
13 - McLeod, Michael - C - Mississauga - OHL 
14 - Jones, Max - LW - London - OHL 
15 - Rubtsov, German - C - Russia MHL 98 - RusJr 
16 - Bean, Jake - LD - Calgary - WHL 
17 - Bellows, Kieffer - C - NTDP USA U18 - USHL 
18 - Kunin, Luke - RW - Wisconsin - BigTen 
19 - Fabbro, Dante - RD - Penticton - BCHL 
20 - Howden, Brett - LW - Moose Jaw - WHL 
21 - Gauthier, Julien - RW - Val-d'Or - QMJHL. 
22 - Tufte, Riley - LW - Blaine - MN-HS 
23 - McAvoy, Charles - RD - Boston Univ. - H.E. 
24 - Thompson, Tage - C - Connecticut - H.E. 
25 - Stanley, Logan - LD - Windsor - OHL 
26 - Debrincat, Alexander - C - Erie - OHL 
27 - Katchouk, Boris - LW - S.S. Marie - OHL 
28 - Raddysh, Taylor - RW - Erie - OHL 
29 - Moverare, Jacob - LD - HV71 - SweJE 
30 - Laberge, Pascal - C - Victoriaville - QMJHL

Also, Brown at 7 and Jost at 9. Not that I subscribe to those as gospel, but interesting nonetheless.

But anyway, I'm prepared for Dubois at this point, but I still wonder if we won't miss out on something with Juolevi or even Sergachev as potential top end defencemen. I'd love for us to grab a second pick in the top ten (or maybe just outside it if someone of interest is falling) and get a couple of high end players early in this draft.

And ISS has Juolevi dropping down outside the top 10 and still behind Chychrun and Sergachev.

So hard not to consider Chychrun for our pick. The guy had a monster 2nd half and has still held himself high in the rankings as the highest ranked D the whole year. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Calgary snagged Nylander since he WAS born there. 

He could surely pick up the departed Hudlers' slack

11 hours ago, S N Y P E R S 7 said:

Cliff Pu rd.3.

Look at Cam Morrison and Johansen for round two, maybe Kyrou.

I live in the interior and catch a lot of Rockets games. Johansen is nothing special from what I have seen, although you shouldn't be at 33. If he didn't have big brother in the NHL he would be in the next round. 

Hope Calgary takes Brown to fit Burkes Black and Blue Calgary vision!

leaving us with whoever benning has his sights on.

realy won't be dissapointed with any of the forwards: Dubois/Nylander/Tkachuk

wish we could get Jost and Fabbro too :( I really like them 

14 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Hope Calgary takes Brown to fit Burkes Black and Blue Calgary vision!

leaving us with whoever benning has his sights on.

realy won't be dissapointed with any of the forwards: Dubois/Nylander/Tkachuk

wish we could get Jost and Fabbro too :( I really like them 

Calgary picks after us...

5 hours ago, Hedman said:

S I think out of the players projected to go top10, Nylander is the most underrated of them all. There's barely any talk about him. He has had a really good year, scoring some pretty clutch goals, and he was great in the WJC20. He's definitely Mississaugas best player, and that team doesn't exactly lack talent. I think a team picking him outside the top5, possibly Calgary, could get a real steal in the draft. Honestly, i think he's offensively talented enough to go top5, but teams always fancies the big skilled guys that can skate, like Dubois and Tkachuk, those players are automatically valuable, and they've also been really good this season. I don't mind Dubois or Tkachuk at all, that's the guys i want at our spot personally, but i also don't think anyone should be upset if we're picking Nylander, which i do think is EXTREMELY unlikely though. He's going to be a really good player.

I don't think he's THAT similar to his bro though. There are similiarities for sure, but they're still different players. William is the guy that relies on pure skill, he's a top6 guy that will thrive in that role, but if he wasn't good enough to play in your top6, he would probably struggle playing in a grittier bottom 6 role. Alex is also skilled, but he's also a bigger and tougher player than William. He's not as good of a skater as William though (William is an excellent skater) and Alex's vision is also not as good, even though he's actually a good playmaker. I think he's a safer pick/player than William was/is, given he's bigger and tougher, but his ceiling is probably not as high as William's, even though that isn't necessarily bad, because William had and has amazing potential.

A lot of people (not you) mentions that Alex isn't as talented or as great as his brother, therefore he's not as good. Well, neither are Dubois or Tkachuk tbh. Just because the Nylanders are brothers doesn't necessarily mean that they're the exact same players, and that you can compare them that way, because they're not. And just because Dubois and Tkachuk's potential might not be as high as William's, doesn't necessarily mean that they're worse prospects or worse players than him. They're all good at different things.

Alex is better then his brother.  The only ones denying this is laffs fans and the media that are biased towards the leaf. At the same age he's talker and faster then his brother.

i love seeing laffs fans get rallied up when it comes to comparing the brothers.

3 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

I just hope we get one if not two good to decent D that will help in 3 years even if we have to make a trade for one benning likes!

Second round we getting a decent d prospect for sure!!!

22 minutes ago, Jiggs50 said:

I've just seen highlights of Nylander and haven't followed him at all in jr. But off his highlights, he seems awfully similar to Virtanen. 

I don't know what video you're watching then. Other than they both can shoot the puck, they're two different players. Nylander creates plays and dominates offensively, Virtanen finishes plays and plays a PWF game.

The only reason why I want Dubois over Nylander is that Dubois has the size advantage(6'3 205) whereass Nylander is 6'1 184. Dubois also has a complete game, and excels at many other things. Both Dubois and Nylander possess high end IQ that's tough to teach. 

Otherwise, Nylander would be my choice at 5th if Dubois is gone. I could see Calgary taking Nylander with the 6th pick (he's a hometown kid too).

16 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Yeah, as in something closer to being NHL-ready.  Benning wants top-end prospects, but he's also prepared to get assets that are more developed.  Once he has that gap filled sufficiently, he'll be more likely to just hold picks and let them develop, but for now he's trying to accelerate the transition.

I know and top 6 look close to NHL ready and why i really think Benning will not trade away a close NHLer for a pick that will need a couple years!

Archived