The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2016 NHL Entry Draft [June 24-25th || Buffalo, New York]

2 hours ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

I understand that but can you explain why you seem to think the high end talent should be the last piece to add on a rebuilding/retooling team. That doesn't make sense. 

I don't think he was expressing that it should be, in our case just that it may indeed be how we have to go (unless we get lucky). 

6 minutes ago, Gyllenhaal said:

If we get Dubois at #5, do you trade Mccann + 33rd for a mid round 1st? Presumably to take Fabbro or Bean.

McCann + 33 should get us into Bean territory, but is Bean worth McCann + Clague.  Probably safer to draft at 33.  If dealing McCann+, far better to deal for something NHL ready.

3 hours ago, elvis15 said:

Just an interesting tidbit for discussion with all the talk around Phoenix going after the 1st overall or us going after a second pick/trading down: 

And we traded for that 9th overall in 2013 for Horvat. 

But yeah, those tweets show you that trading into or swapping in the top 10 is highly unlikely and it would take a heavy price tag, especially for the top 5 teams. Unless there's a super juicy deal, I think we should stay put.

And it's Arizona

8 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

Can McCann + 33rd get us at 10? 

Would love to draft Jost :D 

I personally think that mccann can be our future #1 center and should not be included in any trades in moving up

if you want to move up from the 33rd it would require moving down from the 5th

good thing Benning is in charge he's been drafting lights out since coming to the Canucks 

20 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

We are still in the early stages of our retool, high end skill should be one of the last things we add. 

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

I don't think he was expressing that it should be, in our case just that it may indeed be how we have to go (unless we get lucky). 

If you look up it is exactly what he said. I'm just trying to make sense of it and wanted to us westward what he meant by the high end skill having to be the last pieces.

4 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

If you look up it is exactly what he said. I'm just trying to make sense of it and wanted to us westward what he meant by the high end skill having to be the last pieces.

My guess would be = Sedins.

3 hours ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

I understand that but can you explain why you seem to think the high end talent should be the last piece to add on a rebuilding/retooling team. That doesn't make sense. 

In order to add our elite pieces, we most likely have to bottom out. If we already have a solid nucleus of players (Horvat, Virtanen, McCann, Baertschi, Boeser, Hutton, Tryamkin, etc.) it will make improving in the standings much easier. We can spend the least amount of time in the gutter killing our franchise as possible. A 1C and a 1D won't make us a great team, but they are important pieces. 

With our situation, we've been picking up some very good support pieces while not completely bottoming out (until arguably this year). We've added the previously mentioned players with picks outside the top-5 and some trades. This has been the most efficient way to run because we had a solid NHL core that was fighting for the Playoffs (for the most part). Now that the old core is fading away, we are starting to move closer to the bottom. That's where we can pick up our elite bottom and add it to our already solid (but not extraordinary) prospect group. 

So mainly because it will allow us to spend the least amount of time at the bottom as possible. 

2 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

Can McCann + 33rd get us at 10? 

Would love to draft Jost :D 

Why not trade McCann for 10 spot, then next year we trade the guy we drafted at 10 spot to get another pick, then trade him for another pick, etc........

Hey, why not just see how McCann will turn out

I'd wager that all this "trade McCann" foolishness comes straight from TMZ-1040.  Amazing how people are so easily seeded with ideas no matter how silly and just run with them.  Blotch was on today doing more of the same, which probably accounts for these posts.  Like sheep...

41 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

No team would accept McCann for 10th overall 

McCann is as good as any player you're likely to get at 10 this year. Especially a team looking for a center.

That being said it wouldn't do us any good to trade McCann, we need more centers not less.

Just now, DeNiro said:

McCann is as good as any player you're likely to get at 10 this year. Especially a team looking for a center.

That being said it wouldn't do us any good to trade McCann, we need more centers not less.

People here just aren't patient. We drafted him 2 years ago, and people expect him to be a top line center. 

There's something very wrong here.

2 minutes ago, Odd. said:

People here just aren't patient. We drafted him 2 years ago, and people expect him to be a top line center. 

There's something very wrong here.

Oh I know, it happens here all the time.

In some peoples mind a player putting up big points in junior is worth more than a 19 year old putting up 20 points in his first season in the NHL. The ebbs and flow of hype on here are pretty funny.

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Oh I know, it happens here all the time.

In some peoples mind a player putting up big points in junior is worth more than a 19 year old putting up 20 points in his first season in the NHL. The ebbs and flow of hype on here are pretty funny.

For sure, what we can hope for is him being in Utica next season to build strength and work on his game as the teams 1C. Then hopefully mimic a Krejci draft+3 season. PPG in the AHL.

All while helping Demko with the transition and adjustment to the pro game/life.

Just now, sharbinder said:

For sure, what we can hope for is him being in Utica next season to build strength and work on his game as the teams 1C. Then hopefully mimic a Krejci draft+2 3 season. PPG in the AHL.

All while helping Demko with the transition and adjustment to the pro game/life.

Definitely. I'm actually surprised they gave him a full season in the NHL this year. His strength and conditioning needs quite a bit of work. And that's fine, he's only 19. Look at how much development some of the other top centers in the league needed before making an impact in the NHL.

It's so much harder for a center to crack the league at that age. Horvat was able to do it because he was a man child. A year or even two in Utica could make all the difference. 

Watching the playoffs this year I've noticed the impact big players who can skate have on the game. Brian Boyle and David Backes are having a great playoff run and I'm wondering is Dubios a player who utilizes his size this year? If so I would be very happy with him as a consolation prize for losing Tkachuk to Edmonton. Also I hope the Canucks trade for a mid-late first rounder and grab Logan brown, he's perfect for the west.

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Im drooling on Tyson Jost lol. Or getting a D would be very helpful. 

I THINK Benning said hes interested in getting another 1st round pick. We have nothing to offer but like McCann as a top prospect. 

Archived