The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Horvat vs Kesler

JamesB

Kesler was never going to win this one, Horvat has the better accomplishments, the better draft pedigree, and a much higher hockey IQ (hence 9th overall). Kesler became more than we expected of him, and I'm thankful for that.

I don't like comparing our players to players who used to play with us.

I see what you are saying but to be fair, Bo has a long way to go (in a physically hard sport) to compare with Kesler.

I for one am just delighted with how much he has progressed in such a short time under Willie.

I also don't agree that Bo makes others better players. He has been fortunate to have Dorsett, Kenins and Hansen on his line compared to the "4th liners" we have had in the past.

I am of the opinion that Bo himself will put a lot of his progress down to playing with Dorsett and Hansen. As for Kenins he has not imo been made to look better in any way by Bo. I would say that Kenins has shown flashes of physicality and hockey IQ that has helped Bo as much as it has been reciprocated.

Let's just enjoy having all these players on our team and remember these times when they have lean spells instead of victimising them.

Did you see his face when he got picked in the 20's? That's a face that says, I'm supposed to be top 10 B**c**s, and i'll show you. I'm very excited over Virtanen, Mccan, Sven, Subban, Demko, Tryamkin and Shinkaruk. Not so much with Gaunce/Jensen. But I do hope they prove me wrong

I can't see how you're more excited about Tryamkin and Shinkaruk than Gaunce and Jensen. Tryamkin's ice time has been steadily reduced on a bad Avtomobilist team. Shinkaruk is a good prospect, I think, but his 18pts in 57 games on the Comets third line is pretty underwhelming—although you can make an argument that he has been unlucky in his shooting and his 2 shots/game is pretty good (http://canucksarmy.com/2015/2/15/canucks-army-midterm-prospect-rankings-3-hunter-shinkaruk). But if you're going to argue that, then how can you also say you're not happy with Gaunce, who has 5 more points than Shinkaruk in the same number of games played and with 4th line minutes?

Jensen has been a bit disappointing, though. He's scoring at 0.50 ppg on the second line, which isn't terrific at the AHL level if we want him to be a top 6 NHLer.

I hate these player comparisons....they're different people/players.

With that, I won't diminish Kes as a player while he was here...he was a beast and I loved cheering for him. Those are big shoes to fill and I hate when the expectations are placed on rookies to rise to a level like this. Sure, to aspire to is fine....but the pressure that comes with not just "supporting" them and, instead, in "expecting" things from them can actually play against it all. Let him be...he'll be his own player and, from all reports so far, he's turning out just fine.

Don't forget what Kesler accomplished apart from his rookie campaign, 41 goals in 2010-11, 75 points in 2009-19 (both on the 2nd line with bad wingers). Remember when he absolutely dominated the Nashville Predators in the playoffs? Or Scored that game-tying goal late in game 5 against San Jose to put us into the cup finals? Remember when he did this with a bummed shoulder?

Ryan Kesler was arguably the most popular Canuck when he was here, we forget how much fans loved him because he asked for a trade. We need to remember, all this guy ever wants to do is win, and with his age, he realized he could never get a cup with the Canucks (as he believed they were heading into a rebuild). So what did the guy do? Go to a place to win.

Everyone hates Kesler right now, because we all loved the guy and he left the team. This guy was the whole package, great hockey player, trophy winner, entertaining both on the ice and off (photobombs), and a supermodel.

Give him some credit. We all are praying the Horvat can have the career Kesler had.

This.

We also don't even know why Kes wanted traded. Could be he thought the Canucks were rebuilding and not a cup contender. Could be that he was such a freakin rock star here he could not even come close to a normal family life. Could be he was pissed Torts was brought in by ownership and lost faith in them to make good decisions. We don't know.

I do know this, any team in the league would want him playing for them.

I'm almost certain Horvat will have the better career but, I think we're selling Kesler a little short with how much he accomplished with the garbage wingers he had.

He's also a much more physically INTIMIDATING guy. Bo can throw his weight around to win battles, but I don't think he'll ever have the 17 train imposition on opposing defenders.

Kesler was never going to win this one, Horvat has the better accomplishments, the better draft pedigree, and a much higher hockey IQ (hence 9th overall). Kesler became more than we expected of him, and I'm thankful for that.

Well said.

One minor difference I noticed between Kesler and Horvat. One thing about Kesler is his aggression. When he uses his body, it annoys people, the way he does it, he hits them sort of in a cheapish way like Dustin Brown does. Horvat uses his body effectively to separate the puck holder from the puck but without getting them angry.

I don't know if what I said makes sense.

Don't forget what Kesler accomplished apart from his rookie campaign, 41 goals in 2010-11, 75 points in 2009-19 (both on the 2nd line with bad wingers). Remember when he absolutely dominated the Nashville Predators in the playoffs? Or Scored that game-tying goal late in game 5 against San Jose to put us into the cup finals? Remember when he did this with a bummed shoulder?

Ryan Kesler was arguably the most popular Canuck when he was here, we forget how much fans loved him because he asked for a trade. We need to remember, all this guy ever wants to do is win, and with his age, he realized he could never get a cup with the Canucks (as he believed they were heading into a rebuild). So what did the guy do? Go to a place to win.

Everyone hates Kesler right now, because we all loved the guy and he left the team. This guy was the whole package, great hockey player, trophy winner, entertaining both on the ice and off (photobombs), and a supermodel.

Give him some credit. We all are praying the Horvat can have the career Kesler had.

Not true. I think he played with Samuelsson that season. Also, he played on 1st PP unit, got a lot of goals on PP that season.

Otherwise, I agree. I was a fan of Kesler when he was here and I thank him for how hard he played for us.

Archived