The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Extension] - Chris Tanev, 5 more years

With this post^^^one would think that Apollo is paying Tanev out of his own pocket.

I don't care about the money. It's the cap hit...

I don't c why aquaman can't just give these players a couple of condos under the table and take a million off the contracts. He has the means.

I'd be more than happy if tanev made 100 million in his career. I like him, but cap hit isn't good for the team.

No dice man. I have a feeling that the contracts dolled out this year to guys like Methot, Leddy had an impact as to how much Tanev's camp was looking for and how much leeway Benning had in negotiating.

I think Tanev is equal to if not better than a Marc Methot. Who, by the way, is making a cool $4.9M on his next contract.

Also, new salary era. Top end guys like Toews and Kane are making around $10M compared to the $6M 1st liners were making a decade ago.

Hey you! stop doing that... You know, making reasonable arguments with facts to support your claims! How dare you go against the expert contract negotiatiors and scouts that we have here on CDC.

For the record: Methot>>>>>>>>Tanev

[/sarcasm]

4.45 x 5 years is great.

He is a top 5 defensive dman in the NHL. Every team needs a guy like him and many dont have it. He is not flashy nor physical but does every single little thing a player can do right. Love we have him for 5 more years. Should he regress considerably the lack of an NTC makes him movable but I don't see that happening.

What?! :picard:

1. Weber

2. Doughty

3. Keith

4. Chara

5. Subban

6. Karlsson

7. Suter

8. Hedman

Yea...dont know where you get top 5 buddy

Basically fair money given where he's at now and the rate of improvement he's shown. If he continues to get better it could be a bargain, if he stays the same it's fine, and if concussions catch up with him, well at least there's LTIR.

This spells the end for at least one of Bieksa and Hamhuis next year, from a cap perspective.

I agree. There is no way we can have a competitive team with so many D men making over $4 million per year. As a shut-down D man paired with Edler, they are quite good; as others have said, the extra money he got may be to compensate for not having a NTC (which I hope is the case). With Hammer having so many turnovers and Juice getting slower, I see one of them going to make room for younger and (hopefully) bigger D men. I'd also like to use Miller's salary to upgrade our second line and fly with Lack and Markstrom.

What?! :picard:

1. Weber

2. Doughty

3. Keith

4. Chara

5. Subban

6. Karlsson

7. Suter

8. Hedman

Yea...dont know where you get top 5 buddy

Karlsson isn't a defensive dman by any standards. Keith isn't either but fits the bill cause he's so fast he can comeback to help.

This is a good deal. I don't see how it's an overpayment seeing as both Hamhuis and Bieksa will still be making more then him. Tanev is easily a better defenseman than those two.

Players are getting over paid these days and as long as there's no ntc, then this is a great contract extension.

Archived