The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Extension] - Chris Tanev, 5 more years

It's not a colossal overpayment or a huge overpayment...

But it is an overpayment. The guy has almost 0 scoring ability and is now making 4.5 for 5 years...

3.5 for 5 years is the most he deserves.

I can't believe 4.5... I wish it was 4 at least. That's not good value for a player we groomed and he certainly didn't take a penny off to help the team long term. Not a fan of the deal. 0 hometown discount...

I concur my thoughts exactly perhaps slight overpayment.I thought we could have done a tad better ie,the .45 off the table an closer to the 4 mil.So he is now locked in one would suppose the management needed to demonstrate the will to be able to offer up at the table .Not sure how this bodes for the rest of salary cap hit to come with other ufa waiting in line for their pay raises also.

It's not a colossal overpayment or a huge overpayment...

But it is an overpayment. The guy has almost 0 scoring ability and is now making 4.5 for 5 years...

3.5 for 5 years is the most he deserves.

I can't believe 4.5... I wish it was 4 at least. That's not good value for a player we groomed and he certainly didn't take a penny off to help the team long term. Not a fan of the deal. 0 hometown discount...

even apollo thinks its a bit high... and this is a canuck he's talking about

I love this deal. 5 years is good term. Id have preferred 4 mil but you have to pay to play and with no NMC attached this is a fair deal which means we're not stuck with him if he regresses in the last couple years of the deal.

He is a top 5 defensive dman in the NHL.

:lol::lol::lol: No. No he is not :lol:

J.R. isn't going to like this one.

No NTC though and locked up long term.

I'll reserve complete judgement until I see what Benning does this summer to remodel that right side. If he manages to move Bieksa or Tanev for a decent return and sign or trade for a legit #2-#3 RHD it will look a LOT better.

This is a great deal for Tanev and the Canucks. I've seen some comments here about how the Canucks overpaid and that he'd only be worth this amount if he was putting up 40+ points a year. Well, in reality, if he was doing that and still playing the kind of defense that he is now, he'd be more like a 6.5 or 7 million dollar defenseman.

One of the best defensive defensemen at even strength and probably the best, period, on the PK. Anyone making a fuss over the cap hit being a little too high because of a "lack of offense" is being absolutely ridiculous. I'm just glad to finally have him locked him long-term so I can justify spending way too much money on his jersey.

My thoughts exactly.

:lol::lol::lol: No. No he is not :lol:

I'll reserve complete judgement until I see what Benning does this summer to remodel that right side. If he manages to move Bieksa or Tanev for a decent return and sign or trade for a legit #2-#3 RHD it will look a LOT better.

I don't think he will trade Tanev since he just extended him today.

Oh for the love of Gordie there better not be even a LNTC at that price! :shock::sadno:

Disagree. It's not like it's going to be in the team's best interest to trade him given that he's just entering his prime and Edler seems to need him in order to play well. He's worth far more to the team than he would be in a trade.

even apollo thinks its a bit high... and this is a canuck he's talking about

I love Tanev but I have no clue how anyone thinks we got a good deal. I'm sure mg would have negotiated a better contract.

1. What contender would offer Tanev 4.5?

2. Maybe he could have got 5+ but living in dumps like Edmonton, Columbus, Carolina, etc.

3. Vancouver is the most desirable nhl team in the nhl after LA (based on that survey) yet somehow he gets money that the Oilers would offer him?

3.5 for 5 years is what he should have got

I don't like the fact he took almost 0 home town discount to play on a contender, in a superior city and for the team that gave him his first shot.

I don't like his agent, that's what I'm saying

I think Tanev can improve offensively. He has since the start of his career albeit at a really slow pace. Not that much production this year. You could argue that he has improved defensively when you look at his advanced statistics. Still 25 and room to grow but he hasn't shown that he is ever going to find a physical game thus far.

At that cap hit someone on the backend could be moved. Sbisa?

Disagree. It's not like it's going to be in the team's best interest to trade him given that he's just entering his prime and Edler seems to need him in order to play well. He's worth far more to the team than he would be in a trade.

Edler doesn't remotely need Tanev to play well :rolleyes:

I love Tanev but I have no clue how anyone thinks we got a good deal. I'm sure mg would have negotiated a better contract.

2. Maybe he could have got 5+ but living in dumps like Edmonton, Columbus, Carolina, etc.

3. Vancouver is the most desirable nhl team in the nhl after LA (based on that survey) yet somehow he gets money that the Oilers would offer him?

I don't like the fact he took almost 0 home town discount to play on a contender, in a superior city and for the team that gave him his first shot.

No dice man. I have a feeling that the contracts dolled out this year to guys like Methot, Leddy had an impact as to how much Tanev's camp was looking for and how much leeway Benning had in negotiating.

I think Tanev is equal to if not better than a Marc Methot. Who, by the way, is making a cool $4.9M on his next contract.

Also, new salary era. Top end guys like Toews and Kane are making around $10M compared to the $6M 1st liners were making a decade ago.

Seriously just stop

The canucks have people hired to sign players and to figure out what they are worth so stop thinking tanev was going to get 3.5 he is a top pairing defenseman in case you forgot

With this post^^^one would think that Apollo is paying Tanev out of his own pocket.

Archived