The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Extension] - Chris Tanev, 5 more years

Good and fair signing.

What the $4.45M says to me is that both the Canucks and Tanev's camp have a realistic view of Tanev's relative place among the top defencemen in the NHL, which is, both sides view him as an elite defensive d-man but has limitations to his offensive game, and a ceiling on his physicality and durability.

He can play with any partner and makes them better. If he can put on another 10 pounds and get to 204 lbs. without giving up any speed, it would help with his durability...and if he can continue to develop his shot and puck handling skills on the offensive blue line, his $4.45M AAV will look like a steal.

The Canucks are a better team with Tanev in the line up, so I'm glad that the deal got done ahead of July 1.

Tanev's underlying number are pretty much league tops. He's a really intelligent dman and does all the small things which go unnoticed by most. Just the fact he can play beside anyone and make for a safe pairing is real good to know. He's made Edler a functional dman again.

I was willing to accept the contract without all the bloated 'best in all hockey' reasoning. I doubt he's impacted Edler more than Edler's own self-improvement and of course the coaching change did, but with Hamhuis and Bieksa UFA status coming, Benning had no choice but to keep the only other top-4 capable defenseman in his prime.

It's not a colossal overpayment or a huge overpayment...

But it is an overpayment. The guy has almost 0 scoring ability and is now making 4.5 for 5 years...

3.5 for 5 years is the most he deserves.

I can't believe 4.5... I wish it was 4 at least. That's not good value for a player we groomed and he certainly didn't take a penny off to help the team long term. Not a fan of the deal. 0 hometown discount...

Another case of analytics greatly influencing contracts. A few years ago a team could have signed a player similar to Tanev for 3 mil or so, not anymore.

There is little doubt that Tanev is our best defenceman. He is actually one of the top PK defenceman in the league. I wish we could have signed him for 7 years and had his AAV up to 4.75-5 mil.

Analytics likely had nothing to do with it. The money/term beef was all about UFA years, as per Tanev's agent.

He's a DEFENSEMAN. Makes whoever he plays with a better player. The guy plays his role nearly perfectly and losing him shouldn't be considered an option.

Loosest definition used ever. Forwards are expected to play defence, defence men are expected to play offence as well.

I don't like the fact that Tanev doesn't hit, score or create offence particularly well. He is great defensively and has excellent positioning which explains his high shot blocking. I just don't like the money for his one dimensional play.

Hopefully he expands his game to a more all-around game.

If that happens this is a great deal, if not it's mediocre.

I like the term and that we bought a few years of UFA... I don't like how much it cost though especially considering his RFA status.

I would have preferred $4m-$4.2m at that term or a shorter deal something like 3 years at $3.6m-$3.8m.

This tells me SOMEONE is for sure being moved. Too much money tied up in bottom four or lesser d-men on that right side.

4.45 x 5 years is great.

He is a top 5 defensive dman in the NHL. Every team needs a guy like him and many dont have it. He is not flashy nor physical but does every single little thing a player can do right. Love we have him for 5 more years. Should he regress considerably the lack of an NTC makes him movable but I don't see that happening.

One of the best defensive defensemen at even strength and probably the best, period, on the PK. Anyone making a fuss over the cap hit being a little too high because of a "lack of offense" is being absolutely ridiculous. I'm just glad to finally have him locked him long-term so I can justify spending way too much money on his jersey.

Great deal for Tanev and us. Certainly could have gotten more if he really wanted to.

Edler - 5 mil

Bieksa -4.6 mil

Hamhuis - 4.5 mil

Tanev - 4.45 mil

Sbisa - 2.9 mil to qualify

Lots of money hemmed on the blueline next season

With Emergence of Sbisa playing better and better, Clendening and Corrado both require waivers next season, many other guys to get locked up, I can't see JB carrying those five above into nexr year especially with the question marks surrounding the cap.

JB loves Edler, Tanev and Sbisa.

Just acquired Clendening and loves Corrado.

Juice, Hammer are the guys i see JB looking for value

Bieksa only makes $2.5 m next year front loaded contract

Loosest definition used ever. Forwards are expected to play defence, defence men are expected to play offence as well.

I don't like the fact that Tanev doesn't hit, score or create offence particularly well. He is great defensively and has excellent positioning which explains his high shot blocking. I just don't like the money for his one dimensional play.

Hopefully he expands his game to a more all-around game.

If that happens this is a great deal, if not it's mediocre.

Meanwhile I expect our defencemen to play solid defense and help our goalies. As far as I'm concerned, any offense Tanev provides is a bonus. We have different expectations from our blueline.

I like the term and that we bought a few years of UFA... I don't like how much it cost though especially considering his RFA status.

I would have preferred $4m-$4.2m at that term or a shorter deal something like 3 years at $3.6m-$3.8m.

This tells me SOMEONE is for sure being moved. Too much money tied up in bottom four or lesser d-men on that right side.

I figured you'd be upset. You were pretty open on how Tanev should be moved and was not worth this type of money. Which much others felt as well so you weren't alone.

Archived