The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Parents Insisting I Find a Girlfriend: Don't Know How to React

lacrotix

My mother asked me a few weeks ago if I was lonely for not having a boyfriend. I was like.. no, I have not found anyone with the same interests, and I like doing things by myself, but I may consider dating when hockey season is over.

So around early to mid June right?

No offense but your parents are crazy. Since when is 22 too late for a guy to find someone lol

I'm 34, and many of my male friends are still single.

Honestly, the worst thing you can do is get married too young. You change a lot as a person in your 20s, and forcing a marriage early is going to end in divorce.

Women have a biological clock, so, for them, finding a partner by the time they are 30 is a bigger issue. Men don't have the same biological pressures, and I wouldn't allow your parents to create a false pressure.

I'm 34, and many of my male friends are still single.

Honestly, the worst thing you can do is get married too young. You change a lot as a person in your 20s, and forcing a marriage early is going to end in divorce.

Women have a biological clock, so, for them, finding a partner by the time they are 30 is a bigger issue. Men don't have the same biological pressures, and I wouldn't allow your parents to create a false pressure.

Yeah but the problem you and your friends will run into is being 30+ and having to answer questions like, why are you over 30 and still single? How many relationships have you had? How long have they been? etc. etc. While some women are willing to overlook such trivial things, many don't. So while you go out and focus on yourself and carve out a great life, you will also find that, unfortunately, many women will disqualify you based on your lack of social status and dating experience.

Yeah but the problem you and your friends will run into is being 30+ and having to answer questions like, why are you over 30 and still single? How many relationships have you had? How long have they been? etc. etc. While some women are willing to overlook such trivial things, many don't. So while you go out and focus on yourself and carve out a great life, you will also find that, unfortunately, many women will disqualify you based on your lack of social status and dating experience.

Seems like a pretty good filter.

You are 22, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Once you get you're career in order and start making decent money, there will be girls. Such is the North American way.

Pretty much nailed it.

Success speaks louder than just about anything these days.

I've dated a lot of women and not a single one of them has ever been concerned over "how many relationships" I've had and how long they've been. LOL

As a woman I find it more concerning when someone's had a bunch of dead end relationships and "experience". If a woman "disqualifies you" based on those things, it speaks volumes about her anyhow. Get to know someone and decide based on that, not on submission of their resume.

As a woman I find it more concerning when someone's had a bunch of dead end relationships and "experience". If a woman "disqualifies you" based on those things, it speaks volumes about her anyhow. Get to know someone and decide based on that, not on submission of their resume.

Thanks Deb, probably best we get some input from the female users rather than the rest of us blowhards lol

I think most women AND men would agree that the main thing to look out for is how that person speaks of their past relationships. If they speak about them too much, too negatively, blame everything on the other person, etc etc. That's an important factor. You're right, it's not counting notches on a belt or searching for a resume.

On the other hand, those who ignore red flags make themselves prime candidates to become one.

You're an adult man. You really shouldn't feel beholden to what your parents think you should do. If you don't feel interested in women right now, don't feel pressured to get one just to please them. You need to live your own life.

Archived