The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

THN: Why the Penguins should trade Sidney Crosby for the No. 1 pick

But he will next year and every one will see what the hype is. Can totaly feel it this guy can just dominate games like no one else can. Ive never seen crosby do like McDavid can

Mcdavid will not put up 100 pts in his rookie season. Mcdavid will be hard pressed to have a ppg ratio as good as Crosby the way the NHL is today.

McDavid clocks in at a 3.75 million cap hit.

Crosby is 8.7.

I know which one I would rather build around in the cap era.

Because McDavid will be on the same contract for his whole career right?

Unless you're in fact saying Crosby is better value, because 8.7 million a year for the best player in the game is pretty reasonable when you look at the guys that make more than him (Subban, Malkin, Ovechkin: all excellent players who can be better than Crosby at times, but don't play to that level as consistently as he does).

Maybe if the best player in the game was over 30 years old would the Penguins even dare to consider this. Crosby is in the prime years of his career and it'll just be a matter of time before he makes the big dance again. The Penguins have a chance to make the finals every year with Crosby and Malkin - it's just about finding the right supporting cast for them.

If anything, it'll be Malkin moved anyways.

You'd need a lot more than Crosby...

TO PIT: 1st overall pick (McDavid) + one of their many rubbish centers

TO BUF: Malkin + Derreck Pouliot + 1st (around 28th overall)

Ummm...I'm sorry? Crosby would easily get the 1st pick...

You'd need a lot more than Crosby...

TO PIT: 1st overall pick (McDavid) + one of their many rubbish centers

TO BUF: Malkin + Derreck Pouliot + 1st (around 28th overall)

See this is why I question peoples actual hockey intelligence.

So let me clarify this for a second.

You are saying that 1 single pick. Is worth. The best player in the game RIGHT NOW under age 30 I might add. a 1st round pick, AND a potential top 2 D man.

Sorry, you're throwing in Hodgson or someone as well for kicks.

All of this for JUST a pick. A player who has never played against men. Who has never won anything yet outside of maybe a personal award here and there. A prospect 18 year old runt of a kid who might just Brule or Daigle his way the hell out of the league in 5 years or less.

i REALLY want you to think about that for a second.

Because if you still believe that is an equitable trade, I have a brilliant ocean view house near the "suga plant" in Regina to sell you

BUF would have to add to get Crosby

I would think so.

It's like saying sorry gretzky, we know you've put up multiple 200 point season, but Pocklington is selling you to LA for...well a pick and that's all you're worth right now bud even if you ARE the greatest player on skates right now. That pick has "potential" to be the next gretzky so we don't need you anymore gretzky.

Sorry bout your luck.

Ummm...I'm sorry? Crosby would easily get the 1st pick...

Crosby's 27. Sure he's elite, but the hype around this McDavid character is rediculous. People are comparing him to Crosby already. Obviously there's a lot that could go wrong, but if so many experts think he's the next generational talent, why on Earth would you trade an 18 year old Crosby for a 27 year old Crosby?

The Sabres would have almost a decade more offensive production and captaincy out of drafting McDavid, whereas if they traded the 1st overall for Crosby straight up, they get a guy who:

A) Has a serious laundry list of injury problems

B) Is 27, with maybe 5 more years of this elite league-leading scoring if that

C) Is too old and doesn't fit with their young rebuilding core at all

Buffalo would not do Crosby for the 1st straight up. If Pittsburgh wanted McDavid for whatever reason, they'd have to offer up more future, because having a say 90-100 point player in McDavid for a decade is far better than Crosby for another 5 years.

Crosby's 27. Sure he's elite, but the hype around this McDavid character is rediculous. People are comparing him to Crosby already. Obviously there's a lot that could go wrong, but if so many experts think he's the next generational talent, why on Earth would you trade an 18 year old Crosby for a 27 year old Crosby?

The Sabres would have almost a decade more offensive production and captaincy out of drafting McDavid, whereas if they traded the 1st overall for Crosby straight up, they get a guy who:

A) Has a serious laundry list of injury problems

B) Is 27, with maybe 5 more years of this elite league-leading scoring if that

C) Is too old and doesn't fit with their young rebuilding core at all

Buffalo would not do Crosby for the 1st straight up. If Pittsburgh wanted McDavid for whatever reason, they'd have to offer up more future, because having a say 90-100 point player in McDavid for a decade is far better than Crosby for another 5 years.

I'll concede to you those points man. Ya he's approaching 30. Ya he's had concussion issues. Ya he's under a big contract.

But the hype around McDavid is just hype. There is NO way he is currently as good as Crosby, he will not help a team win a cup next year unless he goes to LA or the like.

Crosby though is barely 28 ish and has a decade or more playing time. he's the best player in the game. You'd slot him in with Reinhardt and more uber talented youngsters and he'd turn a 30th place team in to a playoff contender the following year. He's a leader and all he ever does is win

Again, that's like gretzky being shipped off for a pick and being told hey bud, this could could be the next you in ten years. If you have Crosby NOW, you don't trade for a potential Crosby later...

Finally monetarily. A Crosby now will bank a teams owner a lot more cash now than a kid who's never suited up before in ticket and merch sales

Guest Dasein

Also, you place McDavid among the other kids in BUF, you still have a team fighting to make the playoffs and it won't be years until you contend for a Cup

You place Crosby in BUF with all those young kids and you bring them up in a winning environment, you will have a championship calibre team while Crosby is in his prime right now and when he's 40 but all the kids are now in their prime

So basically, would you want a chance to possibly contend for a Cup in a few years, or would you want a chance to contend for a Cup right now with Crosby AND in the future with Crosby's understudies?

The choice is pretty clear

I get the McDavid hype, it's huge. But I don't get how you can sell Crosby short. You gotta fit his contract in, but it looks pretty good in comparison to Patty Kane's. Signed at different times, but that's just how it goes.

He's the best player in the game. You can look at things how you like, but you can't sell him short.

Guest Dasein

Pittsbugh may want to consider that, but why would Buffalo? (Assuming they get #1)

Well, assuming it's just the 2015 1st overall for Sidney Crosby:

Kane - Crosby - Moulson

Ennis - Reinhart - Gionta

Foligno - Girgensons - Grigorenko

4th line

Ristolainen - Bogosian

Gorges - Zadorov

UFA - Pysyk

UFA

Instant playoff team, opportunity to bring up their young players under the right leadership and winning environment, opportunity for their young centers to learn from the best in the game, and they have enough young guns to be a contender for years to come once Crosby is past his prime if they are developed right under the right type of leadership, which is what Crosby would be bringing to the table

Buffalo has a long term plan that they're following. They're not gonna jump the gun for a quick rebuild. That's what screwed them over before.

Last time I checked, MacDavid is the captain of Erie and a pretty good leader himself. Instead of trying to create a team with someone else's captain, they probably wanna forge their own identity with one of the next great young talents.

Yes, that team is good enough to make the playoffs, but it ain't winning the cup any time soon, which is the ultimate goal. Getting Crosby now doesn't fit their timeline.

Guest Dasein

You know that's BS and now you're just arguing for the sake of it

Crosby fits anybody's timeline. "Forge" their own identity? Please do tell how well that worked for RNH, Hall et al - if anything, Crosby averts the disaster of Buffalo becoming Evander Kane's team. They traded for Kane to fast forward the timeline, yet they wouldn't trade for Crosby?

Are you saying that the LA Kings shouldn't have traded for another team's captain back in the 80s?

Archived